Caltrans real-time road conditions map

Old February 15th 12, 12:48 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Peter Lawrence

Default Caltrans real-time road conditions map

I don't think anyone has posted a link to this cool real-time map provide by
Caltrans.

Not only does it show traffic conditions and CHP incidents in real time, but
also what's being displayed on each of the Caltrans electronic message
signs, real-time photos from Caltrans installed cameras around the state,
lane closure and chain-control information.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

- Peter

Old February 15th 12, 02:35 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 2/14/2012 7:48 PM, Peter Lawrence wrote:

> I don't think anyone has posted a link to this cool real-time map
> provide by Caltrans.
>
> Not only does it show traffic conditions and CHP incidents in real time,
> but also what's being displayed on each of the Caltrans electronic
> message signs, real-time photos from Caltrans installed cameras around
> the state, lane closure and chain-control information.
>
> http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Really slow and clunky compared to Sigalert, which also imparts
important information much more easily.

Old February 15th 12, 03:59 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 02/14/2012 06:35 PM, Sancho Panza wrote:

> On 2/14/2012 7:48 PM, Peter Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> I don't think anyone has posted a link to this cool real-time map
>> provide by Caltrans.
>>
>> Not only does it show traffic conditions and CHP incidents in real time,
>> but also what's being displayed on each of the Caltrans electronic
>> message signs, real-time photos from Caltrans installed cameras around
>> the state, lane closure and chain-control information.
>>
>> http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
>>

> Really slow and clunky compared to Sigalert, which also imparts
> important information much more easily.

But ignores CA-330 going up to Big Bear. I really don't trust Caltrans'
chain-control info.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."

Old February 15th 12, 05:35 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Peter Lawrence

On 2/14/12 6:35 PM, Sancho Panza wrote:
> On 2/14/2012 7:48 PM, Peter Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> I don't think anyone has posted a link to this cool real-time map
>> provide by Caltrans.
>>
>> Not only does it show traffic conditions and CHP incidents in real time,
>> but also what's being displayed on each of the Caltrans electronic
>> message signs, real-time photos from Caltrans installed cameras around
>> the state, lane closure and chain-control information.
>>
>> http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
>>

> Really slow and clunky compared to Sigalert, which also imparts important
> information much more easily.

It wasn't slow and clunky on my computer and browser (Mac OS X Lion, Firefox
10.0.1).

- Peter

Old February 15th 12, 06:49 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Steve Sobol

In article >, The Real Bev says...

> >> I don't think anyone has posted a link to this cool real-time map
> >> provide by Caltrans.
> >>
> >> Not only does it show traffic conditions and CHP incidents in real time,
> >> but also what's being displayed on each of the Caltrans electronic
> >> message signs, real-time photos from Caltrans installed cameras around
> >> the state, lane closure and chain-control information.
> >>
> >> http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
> >>

> > Really slow and clunky compared to Sigalert, which also imparts
> > important information much more easily.

> But ignores CA-330 going up to Big Bear. I really don't trust Caltrans'
> chain-control info.

CA-330 is only a freeway for about a mile before starting its climb into
the mountains. None of the aforementioned sites have information
regarding roads that aren't limited-access.

--
Steve Sobol - Programming/WebDev/IT Support

Old February 15th 12, 06:49 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Steve Sobol

In article >, Peter Lawrence says...

> It wasn't slow and clunky on my computer and browser (Mac OS X Lion, Firefox
> 10.0.1).

It's not on mine, either. Vista, 4GB RAM, relatively slow Athlon 64
dual-core processor.

--
Steve Sobol - Programming/WebDev/IT Support

Old February 15th 12, 07:08 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 02/14/2012 10:49 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:

> In >, The Real Bev says...

>> > Really slow and clunky compared to Sigalert, which also imparts
>> > important information much more easily.

>> But ignores CA-330 going up to Big Bear. I really don't trust Caltrans'
>> chain-control info.

> CA-330 is only a freeway for about a mile before starting its climb into
> the mountains. None of the aforementioned sites have information
> regarding roads that aren't limited-access.

http://www.ie511.org/real-time-traffic.aspx does, at least as far as
chain control goes.

It just reflects Caltrans' offerings, though, which aren't necessarily
current.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Some people say that when it rains it means that God is crying,
Old February 15th 12, 04:58 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
jgar the jorrible

On Feb 14, 10:49*pm, Steve Sobol > wrote:
> In article >, The Real Bev says...

> > > Really slow and clunky compared to Sigalert, which also imparts
> > > important information much more easily.

> > But ignores CA-330 going up to Big Bear. *I really don't trust Caltrans'
> > chain-control info.

> CA-330 is only a freeway for about a mile before starting its climb into
> the mountains. None of the aforementioned sites have information
> regarding roads that aren't limited-access.
>
> --
> Steve Sobol - Programming/WebDev/IT Support

They both have a few chp incidents off limited-access roads, but
that's arguably more worthless than none.

Thanks for the link Peter, always useful to have an alternate site.
You can't really judge how useful they are until you use if for a
while and discover the idiosyncracies and how much is decent
automation.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.