Trouble with third gear

Old April 12th 05, 09:09 PM
Joe Gliebe

Default Trouble with third gear

Here is one for you....I am using a bug transmission with a cable shifter
tin my Beck Spyder hat has worked really well. Recently, however, I has
been getting more difficult going from second to third. A few times I could
not finesse it in at all. I have to rev high and shift from second to third
rapidly, not hard, rapidly. It downshifts great from fourth to third
however. All other gears work well.

Any ideas. If it was the syncro it should still go in if I match rpm with
speed, and it would make a difference downshifting to third also I would
think/

Questions? Answers?

it is a swing axel by the way. Clutch is excellent, etc.

Thanks,
Joe Gliebe

Old April 12th 05, 09:16 PM
Speedy Jim

Joe Gliebe wrote:

> Here is one for you....I am using a bug transmission with a cable shifter
> tin my Beck Spyder hat has worked really well. Recently, however, I has
> been getting more difficult going from second to third. A few times I could
> not finesse it in at all. I have to rev high and shift from second to third
> rapidly, not hard, rapidly. It downshifts great from fourth to third
> however. All other gears work well.
>
> Any ideas. If it was the syncro it should still go in if I match rpm with
> speed, and it would make a difference downshifting to third also I would
> think/
>
> Questions? Answers?
>
> it is a swing axel by the way. Clutch is excellent, etc.
>

> Thanks,
> Joe Gliebe

Yeah; doesn't sound like synchro.

Suppose the cable mech is not "rotating" the
shift lever (inner) quite enough for 3rd.
It may stall then between the 2/3 and 3/4
selectors.

Can you get at the front of the nosecone to
watch the rotation while shifting?

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 14th 05, 12:13 PM
Joe Gliebe

I certainly can, it is literally in the open since it is in the back of the
car. I will try that and get back to you.......I know the cables are free,
may even be overrotating it,,,,,

Joe

Old April 16th 05, 05:00 PM
Busahaulic

Are such cable shifter setups available somewhere? -BaH

. ..

Old April 18th 05, 12:39 PM

From virtually every VW/buggy performance companies. CB performance,
CHIRCO, etc

Old April 22nd 05, 01:59 AM

This is tricky, especially for those not familiar with cable shifters. As
in all things that move, some metal wear will occur, same goes for the
moving parts of a cable shifter and everything else that moves to shift
gears in the tranny. Looks like a small amount of wear on this system
amounts to an non-proportional effect on the movement in the tranny shift
mechanism. Looks like the rotation was just a little too much and I was
shifting as before over rotating the mechanism in the nosecone. After
several disassemblies and reassemblies, I finally got it back to where it
was before and do not expect this to happen again anytime soon, since the
parts have now been "worn in". Thanks for the clue about "rotation" Speedy
Jim. That was the key.

I now REALLY understand this system.

Joe Gliebe
550 Spyder
1914 with 40mm dual webers
110 cam
MOFOCO 044 heads
and all other appropriate mods.

Now to concentrate on my cooling system

Joe

removing gear box Sven Agardh VW water cooled 1 January 17th 05 12:48 PM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 03:46 AM
auto trans won't downshift to 1st gear on 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC KI0FT Ford Explorer 3 December 23rd 04 02:02 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 12:57 PM
No reverse gear on 2000 Saturn SL2 A/T 2000SaturnSL2 Saturn 6 October 6th 04 06:18 PM