CJ8 ignition switch problem -- strange and I'm stumped .....

Old June 30th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
none[_4_]

Default CJ8 ignition switch problem -- strange and I'm stumped UPDATE .....

Revising and continuing to try and solve this old problem .. have been
starting the CJ with a screwdriver and I'm getting tired of that.

Now I know the problem is NOT with the ignition switch low on the
column, but with getting that rod to move far enough to work.

Took the dash apart enough to see that the rod from the top of the
column does not travel far enough to work the ignition switch ..
whether pushed by hand or by turning the keytumbler it only has a
travel of about 1/2 what it needs to in order to work the ignition
switch. (I can grab the rod and watch the key appear to go through
all its positions .. but the rod itself has moved only a little bit.
Or I can move the rod using the key .. same results.) The key/key
tumbler 'seems' to turn freely and the rod does not appear to bind.
Just does not have enough travel.

So should I assume the problem is with what the Jeep Manual calls the
"LOCK BOLT" and/or "LOCK RACK"?

I pulled the steering wheel and got down to what the Jeep Manual calls
the "housing and shroud to column jacket" -- thats how she sits right
now. I loosened the 4 bolts that seem to hold this part, but it
doesn't seem to want to come loose and I'm afraid to force it.

And once I do .. what will I see?

I have not tried to remove the lock cylinder .. would that be helpful
and should I remove it??

Any help will be very much appreciated .....

Mike

Old July 1st 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Pull the lock cylinder (watch the little plastic piece) and check the end of
the assembly. There is a lug on the end that pushes the rod and best I
remember, it is in constant contact with the rod. I do remember noticing
that the one I took out was pretty well worn (it's just pot metal). A
quick check is whether the rod moves continuously throughout the rotation
of the key.

After market ignition locks are cheap, but you lose the pretty Jeep key...

--
Will Honea

Old July 1st 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
none[_4_]

Default CJ8 ignition switch problem -- strange and I'm stumped ..... what now??

Thanks for the suggestion but no joy yet.

Already had a replacement lock cylinder so I replaced the original
with the new. No good results.

Looked at the gears that are worked with the lock cylinder installed
... they all appeared good. (
http://www.murklagoon.com/cj8/IMG_8701crop.jpg )

But even without the ignition cylinder in place, and moving these
gears by moving the rod to the ignition switch .. there is NOT enough
movement to work the ignition switch.

And at some point I've now managed to get the gears I can see (ones in
the image referenced above) off the other gears .. so I can move the
rod and the gears shown above don't move. I can get these gears back
on, but of course then they appear to be not correctly adjusted and
still the rod won't move far enough.

I'm losing ground here, and now the CJ is not drivablle.

Another wasted afternoon. Owned this cj8 since new in 82; but at the
moment am sick of it and thinking it might make a great hunk of melted
metal?!

Any suggestions please ....

Mike

Old July 2nd 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
none[_4_]

Bill,

No .. the problem is with the rod that connects the key cylinder to
the ignition switch .. it won't travel as far as it needs to travel to
work the ignition switch by turning the key.

Today I replaced the key cylinder .. that rod just won't go far
enough.

Can you or somebody else please tell me how to get access to the lock
rack. It may just need to get correctly reinstalled .. but so far I
haven't been able to get to it.

Desperate now .. and thanks for any help ....

Mike

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:17:07 -0700, "L.W.\(Bill\) Hughes III"
> wrote:

> Are you sure it's not just the solenoid you're jumpin'
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>
> http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

.. .