Wagoneer Engine Replacement Choices ?

Old July 4th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

Default Wagoneer Engine Replacement Choices ?

Bret Ludwig wrote:
> Jeff DeWitt wrote:
>
>>Dave said he wasn't that concerned about fuel mileage as the Jeep isn't
>>a daily driver, and you would have to drive a LOT to make up the extra
>>expense of changing to a modern diesel.
>>
>>Yeah... President Bush is both crazy and stupid, that's why he keeps
>>beating his opponents...but this isn't a politics NG.

> Which opponents would that be?

To start with the Democrats...

I'm not a fan of George Bush, and this isn't a political forum, lets
talk about Jeeps, that's what we are here for.

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 4th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

No, engine seems fine. It just doesn't put out that much power to start off
with, and a little less with LPG.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Jeff DeWitt" > wrote in message
.. .
> Is your engine tired or do you just want more power? There are things
> you can do to wake those engines up like a hotter cam, better
> carburetor, ect.
>
> You might also consider something like this...
>
> http://www.cdpautomachine.com/ecatal...epengines.html
>
> I love those big old tanks, good luck!
>
> Jeff DeWitt
>
> Dave Milne wrote:
> > Hi Earle,
> >
> > Thanks for your thoughts. The engine is the AMC 360. My first

thought
> > was a crate 401, but I can't find any.
> > Not too fussed about the fuel consumption, as I do less than 3K/year in

it
> > (just weekend pottering about). Transfer case is the NP229.
> >
> > Dave Milne, Scotland
> > '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
> > "Earle Horton" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>Dave,
> >>
> >>Your Wagoneer would have an AMC engine, with a specially modified

Chrysler
> >>Torqueflite 727, that sports an AMC bolt pattern, not a Chrysler bolt
> >>pattern, on the engine end. This means that no Chrysler engine will

bolt

> >>it. Now if you are good at disassembly of the 727, including reassembly

> > so
> >
> >>that it still functions, you can replace the main housing with the

> > Chrysler
> >
> >>variant. Then you could attach any of a number of excellent Chrysler

V8s,
> >>which are no doubt real common on your side of the Atlantic.
> >>
> >>Which engine do you have? If it is the AMC inline six, then you can

bolt
> >>any of the AMC V8s to it, assuming that you can obtain or fabricate

engine
> >>mounts, exhaust, various accessories and brackets, and a fuel system.

If
> >>you want to keep the LPG option, this can be a problem. If you keep the
> >>current dual fuel setup, you will find that you have more low end

torque,
> >>but less top end power than you anticipated. A bigger engine will want

> > more
> >
> >>air, and more fuel. The fly in the oatmeal, is that these engines will

be
> >>rarer east of the Atlantic, than they are here.
> >>
> >>An option that people have used here, is to use a transfer case adapter,

> >>put a Chevy truck Turbo Hydromatic 350 in front of the TC, and a Chevy

350
> >>engine in front of that. This is an excellent option for power, and

cheap
> >>too. New engines go for about $3,000, the last time I looked, and new
> >>transmissions are pretty cheap too. www.4wd.com has the transmission

"all
> >>set up" to bolt to the Dana 300 or NP231 transfer case. Which transfer

> > case
> >
> >>do you have? Important information that.
> >>
> >>Way back in 1976, some of my coworkers hit on the idea of putting a

Chevy
> >>283 in a 1963 J10 pickup, an ancestor of your Wagoneer. The transplant

> > was
> >
> >>successful, but it took a real long time. The main problem was that

many

> > of
> >
> >>the parts had to be ordered through the mail (no Internet then) and so

> > there
> >
> >>was a lot of waiting. My experience with shipping Christmas gifts back

> > from
> >
> >>Spain, was that it is (1) real expensive and (2) less than 100%

reliable.
> >>The fault seems to have been with the USPS, not Correos Españoles, but

who
> >>knows what they will do with your parts?
> >>
> >>You might want to get the Jeep Conversion Manual from the Advance

Adapters
> >>web site, http://advanceadapters.com. This explains which transmissions

> > and
> >
> >>engines were used in each vehicle.
> >>
> >>Another option to consider is forced induction. A number of companies

> > make
> >
> >>turbo- or super-charger kits for the 4.0 liter Jeep engine. One of

these

Old July 4th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

"And less with LPG" No sh*t Sherlock! By a factor of fifty percent!
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 4th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> "And less with LPG" No sh*t Sherlock! By a factor of fifty percent!
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

More insane twaddle.

Old July 4th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

> I'm not a fan of George Bush, and this isn't a political forum, lets talk
> about Jeeps, that's what we are here for.

Just wait till 2008. It wasn't Bush who beat his opponents, it was Karl "I
told the Special Prosecutor the truth but lied to the American People" Rove.

Old July 4th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_2_]

"Jeff DeWitt" > wrote in message
. ..
> Bret Ludwig wrote:
> > Jeff DeWitt wrote:
> >
> >>Dave said he wasn't that concerned about fuel mileage as the Jeep isn't
> >>a daily driver, and you would have to drive a LOT to make up the extra
> >>expense of changing to a modern diesel.
> >>
> >>Yeah... President Bush is both crazy and stupid, that's why he keeps
> >>beating his opponents...but this isn't a politics NG.

> > Which opponents would that be?
> >

> To start with the Democrats...
>
> I'm not a fan of George Bush, and this isn't a political forum, lets
> talk about Jeeps, that's what we are here for.
>
> Jeff DeWitt

You should have kept quiet and let Mr. Ludwig fizzle out, like he always
does.

Earle

Old July 4th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_2_]

Dave,

The AMC 360 cid is a big engine, by today's standards. If it "doesn't put
out that much power to start off with" you may have a problem with the choke
pull-off, egr or ignition. I wouldn't give up on it, especially in view of
the expense of an engine upgrade, buying parts no doubt mail order from the
U.S. You could always try some of the performance upgrades to the 360, that
others have mentioned. How are your local Polizei with regard to a
free-flowing exhaust?

Earle

. uk...

Old July 4th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Then why don't put your money where your mouth is, and put it on
your vehicles! I'd like nothing better than it pull you to your death!
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 4th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

No, it's not that bad. 10% tops.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 4th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Dave,
If you notice you're the only one complaining about the six's
power. Therefo it's more like fifty percent, unless your carburetor
compensates for acceleration with power diaphragms and pumps like a
regular carburetor, making much more than the designed fifteen to one
gasses mixture.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/