Need new tires for 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Old November 4th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Romain

Default Need new tires for 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Mike20878 wrote:

> Outatime wrote:
> >
> > For some reason, I didn't find the LTX on tirerack.com either. They do
> > appear on Costco's site, but you have to dig deep to find it. I bought
> > the M/S's, as I spend a lot of time on pavement, and they work extremely
> > well.
> >
> > It's your call on the size difference. I also replaced the spare, even
> > though both were the same size. I figure that the spare should be of at
> > least the same quality as the rest in case I need to drive a long way on
> > it. I justified the extra cost by doing 5-wheel rotations, which makes
> > everything last longer. When I replace next time, I'll leave one worn
> > (yet servicible) tire on as the spare.
> >
> > It's your call on the odd-sized spare dilemma. I wouldn't do it. You
> > can't use PT 4WD with odd-sized tires or you will destroy the transfer
> > case. It will cause the axle clutch packs on limited-slip axles to
> > overheat and wear quickly. The vehicle will handle badly. There are no
> > positives to keeping an odd-sized spare other than money, and that's not
> > good enough in my book. Justify the extra cost by doing 5-wheel tire
> > rotations.

> 5-wheel tire rotations, as in rotating the spare in every rotation?
> Interesting...

If you check your owners manual it says how to do a 5 tire rotation. My
Cherokee and my CJ manual both say to put the spare on the highest wear
tire, the right rear, then take the right rear and move it to the right
front with the right front going to the spare. The left tires just swap
places.

This makes for even wear because the right rear is the main drive tire
so it wears the fastest and the three tires on the high wear side should
wear out the same time as the other two.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old November 4th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_1_]

Mike20878 wrote:

> 5-wheel tire rotations, as in rotating the spare in every rotation?
> Interesting...

You've never done this before? You'll get an extra 10-15k out of a set
of tires easily if you do this. Generally, you rotate the spare to the
RR, the RR goes to the RF, and the RF ends up a spare. The LR and LF
swap places each time as well. This compensates for road grade wear on
the right side of the vehicle.

This assumes you buy 5 new tires. If you're using an old, worn-out
spare, it isn't a very good idea. As spare tires degrade whether used
or not, I think it's a wise idea to include it in my rotation schedule.
Old November 5th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lon

The Michelin is cheaper than that BF Goodrich.
I paid 104 apiece for mine at Discount Tire, mounted a few years ago.
Your size is if memory serves somewhere in the 235x16 which is a bit
more. e.g. at Tire Rack, the 235-70/16 is about $135 apiece. They tend
to get very old before they ever wear out and drastically improve the
highway manners of a Grand Cherokee. Very good on heavy rain,
moderately heavy snow, light mud, moderate offroad where the trail
surface is reasonably hard and not steep slickrock. Excellent highway
manners.

Michael Rosen proclaimed:

Old November 5th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lon

Mike20878 proclaimed:

> Outatime wrote:
>
>>Ya get what ya pay for. I lothe cheap tires. I'll spend a couple
>>hundred extra for the best tires I can find every time, and I've never
>>been disappointed with that decision.
>>
>>I did get a deal on the Michelins through Costco though. I always wait
>>until they're on sale and use the $100-off coupon. I dumped those awful
>>Goodyear things with only 113 miles on them when I bought the TJL. Best
>>decision I've ever made.

> Does Costco have more than they show on their website? When I search
> for tire for my car only the BFG Longtrail comes up. I'll have to stop
> by in person and see what they've got.
>
> The LTX also don't show up when I do a search on tirerack.com. Is it
> because I am sticking to the original equipment size? I have been
> figuring I should be sticking to the standard 225/75-16 size. The
> optional size is 245/70-16.

Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....odel=LTX+M%2FS

Old November 5th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lon

Check around your area and see if you have an Americas Tire, Americas
Discount Tire, or Discount Tire. They come reasonably close to Tire
Rack in price and offer free repairs for the life of the tire. Every
now and then they put the Michelin LTX M+S on sale.

billy ray proclaimed:

Old November 5th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

You should also check your local family owned tire outlets, their prices and
service might surprise you.

. ..

Old November 6th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_1_]

I'll be damned. Last time I checked, they didn't carry them. Almost
the same price as I got with Costco's $100-off coupon. I've done
business with Tirerack.com before. Damn good outfit. I'll be buying
from them again next time around.
Old November 6th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Outatime wrote:
> I'll be damned. Last time I checked, they didn't carry them. Almost
> the same price as I got with Costco's $100-off coupon. I've done
> business with Tirerack.com before. Damn good outfit. I'll be buying
> from them again next time around.

I've found a local chain (Tires Plus) matches the tire-rack price (plus
shipping). The advantage is I got free rotation and lifetime balance
with a fairly national chain. Well, national in as much as they have
an outlet in cities I usually drive to.

--
DougW

Old November 12th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article .com>,
"Michael Rosen" > wrote:

> I believe the Michelins are pretty expensive?

You get what you pay for. I'm a Michelin fan, they are very long
wearing and tough tires.
Shop around, they are put on sale, usually in the fall and spring.

> I think I'm now deciding between the BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A
> and Firestone Destination LE. Tirerack.com has them for $87 and $81,
> respectively. I can get the BFGoodrich at the local shop for $106
> installed and the Firestone for $86.

Firestone is the last tire I'd use, in fact I'd rather walk than use
them. From experience with 2 sets manufacturer installed, which I had
to trash very early in their expected life.

Regarding your different size spare possibility, if it's the same
diameter as has been suggested it is I wouldn't worry for spare only use.
You'll be a lot better off than those poor souls struggling along on a
compact spare. >
Old November 12th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billy ray

I feel the same way about General Tires.

I have had a total of 21 Generals mounted for two (2) cars and 19 of those
tires were defective in one way or another with broken belts, tread
separation, bulges in the sidewall, inability to hold air, 2 blowouts and
most commonly being out of round.

The final blow came when I attempted to stop at a light in the rain and the
car continued straight ahead with the brakes locked. I turned the wheel to
avoid hitting the stopped car in front of me and the car continued straight
ahead. At the last moment the tire grabbed and I drove up through the grass
in front of a business parking lot.

That was a Sunday afternoon, Monday morning I had a new set of Coopers.
That was about 20 years ago.

I told them at our local tire shop I didn't care what the looked or rode
like as long as the car turned and stopped when I wanted it to. They were
rough and noisy and didn't last all that long but I liked them so much I
eventually bought 2 sets.I'd probably still be driving Coopers if I hadn't
moved out of state and we have no dealers nearby.

On the other hand one of my brothers lives in a small rural town where the
only tire dealer is a General Tire dealer and he had Generals on his and his
wife's and all 4 kids cars, and both trucks. He has never had a problem
with any General tire and just loves them.

Go figure........