Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

Old February 23rd 07, 01:23 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Default Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

"who" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,

> People who pay big bucks for a car just can't be negative on it, even if
> repairs are big bucks.

A friend of mine got a Maserati Biturbo as a company car several years ago.
A car lover
and very wealthy man, he finally had to give up on it. He would drive it
one week and it
would stay in the shop for two.

Nobody can tolerate a POS forever, no matter what you have in it.

I doubt the BMWs are all that bad, especially when new, but I would expect
more from
a car like this. The German cars are beginning to lose their lustre to many
people.
Mercedes will hold its share of snob appeal, I guess, and Porsche has its
diehard
followers. Even Volkswagen doesnt have the reputation for reliability that
it once
had.

Old February 24th 07, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm
dizzy

> wrote:

>Nobody can tolerate a POS forever, no matter what you have in it.

True...

>I doubt the BMWs are all that bad, especially when new, but I would expect
>more from
>a car like this. The German cars are beginning to lose their lustre to many
>people.

Are they? I've seen no evidence of that.

>Mercedes will hold its share of snob appeal, I guess, and Porsche has its
>diehard
>followers. Even Volkswagen doesnt have the reputation for reliability that
>it once had.

I didn't know VW ever had that reputation. You talking about the 70's
with the Beetle?

Old February 24th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

"dizzy" > wrote in message

> Are they? I've seen no evidence of that.

I have, particularly in Europe, and have seen printed stories which lend
some support
to this surmise.

I guess that in the USA the BMWs and Mercedes are still seen as prestige
purchases.

As far as the Volkswagens are concerned, I have owned two, Passats, and both
were
exemplary cars. But I have also known other people who did not have such
good luck.
The old Beetles had a good reputation, deserved or not.