Almost lost my Mach-1!

Old July 30th 05, 09:28 PM
RichA

Default Almost lost my Mach-1!

I was turning off our major highway (401) onto
an inner city highway called the Don Valley Parkway.
As usual, the traffic was jamming up on the ramp and I started to
come to a stop. I slowed down to about 20km per hour
and happened to look in my rear view. A van was
coming at me at a very high speed. I was clear he was going
to hit me. He had to be going at least 100kph (60mph).
Luckily, I had a little space left between myself and the car stopped
up ahead and was able to floor the car into the right shoulder
lane.
The van driver obviously knew he was in trouble, he shot into
the lane left of the one I had been in, lit up his breaks (no
anti-lock I guess) and smashed into to the back
of a Cadillac. My car got splattered by debris ejected when
the van hit, but no paint damage. The van and the Cadillac
were both rendered undrivable, but neither person was hurt,
unless the Caddy driver develops a neck injury at some point.
A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him years ago
courtesy of a cab. But he was at a stop light and could
only watch as it happened. His Celica was a write-off.
-Rich
Old August 1st 05, 09:34 AM
Kidd Andersson

RichA wrote:

> The van driver obviously knew he was in trouble, he shot into
> the lane left of the one I had been in, lit up his breaks (no
> anti-lock I guess) and smashed into to the back
> of a Cadillac.
> -Rich

DAMN good thing you were paying attention!

K.
Old August 1st 05, 06:02 PM
Me

Similar thing happened to me, but I was on a motorcycle. Driving down a
local street at about 30. Headlights coming up very quickly. A quick glance
behind, cars in the parking strip, nowhere else to go but into the oncoming
traffic lane. (Luckily, no oncoming traffic) The car that roared by, going
at least 60 was driven by a woman, drunk on her ass. Turns out she was the
mother of the girl I was dating.
We had "words" (Mom told daughter that I was "disrespectful" to which I
answered "No ****, I tend to get that way when almost being killed!)

Old August 1st 05, 10:06 PM
RichA

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 04:34:04 -0400, Kidd Andersson
> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>
>> The van driver obviously knew he was in trouble, he shot into
>> the lane left of the one I had been in, lit up his breaks (no
>> anti-lock I guess) and smashed into to the back
>> of a Cadillac.
>> -Rich

>DAMN good thing you were paying attention!
>
>K.

I'm paranoid on the road, I look in the rear view.
Same thing at traffic lights when they're green,
I don't stop, but I keep my eyes open. I've known
people who've stated they don't because if they
get hit, "it won't be their fault!"
-Rich
Old August 2nd 05, 12:27 AM
Me

A number of those people are no longer with us. (Darwin's theory at it's
finest, weeding out the morons) These people are right, but they can also be
dead right, unfortunately, you're dead a long time.

Old August 3rd 05, 03:34 PM
jim.gm4dhj

....just as well it wasn't a new car then.