67 Mustang: Fan rub on shroud

Old August 2nd 05, 02:55 AM
pony67

Default 67 Mustang: Fan rub on shroud

Looking for anyone that may have a similar setup to check or knows if my
setup is correct.

On my '67 289, no AC, no PS, 20" radiator, I tried to install a fan shroud,
but the fan rubs at the top and bottom of the shroud. At the top, it rubs on
the inside vertical face of the shroud, not on the highest inner surface. It
almost seems that the fan is too close to the radiator.

Fan is a 4 blade (original I think), Diam= 17.5"
Aluminum spacer from water pump to fan is approx 2 3/4" long.

I'm considering switching to a flex fan with a smaller diameter but want to
rule out any incorrect parts first.

thanks

Bob

Old August 2nd 05, 05:54 AM
Spike

Is that the original 289 or a later year?

As I recall, there are two fans. One is a long shaft and the other a
short shaft. The long shaft would place the blades closer to the
radiator.

I'm pretty sure mine is short shaft. When a shroud was added, I had
not contact at all.

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:55:30 -0400, "pony67"
> wrote:

>Looking for anyone that may have a similar setup to check or knows if my
>setup is correct.
>
>On my '67 289, no AC, no PS, 20" radiator, I tried to install a fan shroud,
>but the fan rubs at the top and bottom of the shroud. At the top, it rubs on
>the inside vertical face of the shroud, not on the highest inner surface. It
>almost seems that the fan is too close to the radiator.
>
>Fan is a 4 blade (original I think), Diam= 17.5"
>Aluminum spacer from water pump to fan is approx 2 3/4" long.
>
>I'm considering switching to a flex fan with a smaller diameter but want to
>rule out any incorrect parts first.
>
>thanks
>
>Bob

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
Old August 2nd 05, 12:11 PM
pony67

Spike, its the original 289 motor as far as I can tell.

Bob

Old August 2nd 05, 10:10 PM
Spike

OK, where did you get the shroud? You might want to check to verify
that you have the correct part number for your application. Errors in
shipment do happen.

Is the rubbing constant? That is, there is no wobble in fan action to
indicate a bent fan shaft?

How close is too close to the radiator? (I don't have the specs on
that distance, but someone else in the group may have. My manual
doesn't have clear enough pictures to see a spacer. However, the
steps for water pump removal mentions it.

Are you sure the radiator isn't improperly installed such that it
"leans"?

Can you adjust the shroud (ie loosen the shroud retains enough to
lightly hold and adjust as necessary to provide clearance)? Shims
(washers) might help correct this problem.

The only other possible (and it's remote) I can envision would be the
engine not seated properly, but that should show up.

So, I think it comes down to a case of possible using washers to shim
the shroud to proper fit if it's not too far out of line.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:11:33 -0400, "pony67"
> wrote:

>Spike, its the original 289 motor as far as I can tell.
>
>Bob
.. .

Old August 4th 05, 04:33 AM
pony67

Spike, I posted some photos below. Note the bottom on this shroud is cut.
The shroud stamping matches those listed in several catalogs and parts
books, so I think that its the correct one.
http://users.adelphia.net/~bobnh911/fan.htm

The fan spacing is about 5/8" from fan tip to top tank, and 1.5" from fan
tip to fins. The an shaft does nto look bent, and the radiator seems to sit
correctly. I tried to move or shim the shroud with no luck.

I do think your last suggestion could be a factor, as the motor does not
look to sit straight, but looks pivoted as if the driver mount is back
further than the passenger. But its not much, and still looks like the fan
would hit. I wonder if simply a shorter spacer would fix the issue.

thanks
Bob

"Spike" > wrote in message
> OK, where did you get the shroud? You might want to check to verify
> that you have the correct part number for your application. Errors in
> shipment do happen.
>
> Is the rubbing constant? That is, there is no wobble in fan action to
> indicate a bent fan shaft?
>
> How close is too close to the radiator? (I don't have the specs on
> that distance, but someone else in the group may have. My manual
> doesn't have clear enough pictures to see a spacer. However, the
> steps for water pump removal mentions it.
>
> Are you sure the radiator isn't improperly installed such that it
> "leans"?
>
> Can you adjust the shroud (ie loosen the shroud retains enough to
> lightly hold and adjust as necessary to provide clearance)? Shims
> (washers) might help correct this problem.
>
> The only other possible (and it's remote) I can envision would be the
> engine not seated properly, but that should show up.
>
> So, I think it comes down to a case of possible using washers to shim
> the shroud to proper fit if it's not too far out of line.
>

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:11:33 -0400, "pony67"
> > wrote:
>
>>Spike, its the original 289 motor as far as I can tell.
>>
>>Bob
. ..

Old August 4th 05, 05:30 PM
Spike

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:33:26 -0400, "pony67"
> wrote:

>Spike, I posted some photos below. Note the bottom on this shroud is cut.
>The shroud stamping matches those listed in several catalogs and parts
>books, so I think that its the correct one.
>http://users.adelphia.net/~bobnh911/fan.htm

The URL keeps giving me a blank page.

Remember, not all vendors get their stuff from the same place. The
numbers could match up between some of them, but one might outsource
to Taiwan or some such place. (China is getting into the parts market
now). So, it could be great with one vendor, and lousy with another.
Another condition is how long a part has set, and under what
conditions (sitting in a hot warehouse, with stuff stacked on top
might warp a part enough so fitment is the pits.

>The fan spacing is about 5/8" from fan tip to top tank, and 1.5" from fan
>tip to fins. The an shaft does nto look bent, and the radiator seems to sit
>correctly. I tried to move or shim the shroud with no luck.

That part sounds pretty normal as regards the spacing. The shim idea
was a shot in the dark. Sometimes just adding a washer can make a big
difference.

>I do think your last suggestion could be a factor, as the motor does not
>look to sit straight, but looks pivoted as if the driver mount is back
>further than the passenger. But its not much, and still looks like the fan
>would hit. I wonder if simply a shorter spacer would fix the issue.

Has this car been in an accident? As for a shorter spacer, that would
be a WAG on my part. Of course, much of this is WAG trial and error
until you hit on the right combo.

>thanks
>Bob

.. .