Door Speakers

Old March 29th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Door Speakers

Anybody know a source for door speakers for a 1992 Miata that don't cost
$200/pair like at Crutchfield?

Thanks.
Old March 29th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

wrote:

> Anybody know a source for door speakers for a 1992 Miata that
> don't cost $200/pair like at Crutchfield?

Some have recomended Walmart, Target or Kmart where speakers of the
proper size can be found.

Head for
www.miata.net and start reading in the audio forums for ideas.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old March 29th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > Anybody know a source for door speakers for a 1992 Miata that
> > don't cost $200/pair like at Crutchfield?

> Some have recomended Walmart, Target or Kmart where speakers of the
> proper size can be found.
>
> Head for
www.miata.net and start reading in the audio forums for ideas.

Hmmm. This means that I need to take a door panel off and remove a
speaker up front. I was hoping to avoid that step until I had
replacements in hand.
Old March 29th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Rob[_15_]

> wrote:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Anybody know a source for door speakers for a 1992 Miata that
> > > don't cost $200/pair like at Crutchfield?

> > Some have recomended Walmart, Target or Kmart where speakers of the
> > proper size can be found.
> >
> > Head for
www.miata.net and start reading in the audio forums for ideas.

> Hmmm. This means that I need to take a door panel off and remove a
> speaker up front. I was hoping to avoid that step until I had
> replacements in hand.

I've a set of these in my 96 VR Limited Eunos Roadster - the original
equipment Bose speakers had rusted out due to the previous owner not
clearing the drain tubes behind the doors and filling the car with
condensation

<http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/656>

About $35 in your language, I think - P&P wouldn't be that great to the
States from the UK, the total would be well under the $200 quoted above.
They're loud even with the cheap UK stereo system installed to replace
the OE Japanese system (whose FM frequencies are different to the UK FM
frequencies), can't fault them for value.
--
Rob - Shropshire
So many cats,
Old March 29th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

wrote:

>> > Anybody know a source for door speakers for a 1992 Miata that
>> > don't cost $200/pair like at Crutchfield?

>> Some have recomended Walmart, Target or Kmart where speakers of
>> the proper size can be found.
>>
>> Head for
www.miata.net and start reading in the audio forums for
>> ideas.

> Hmmm. This means that I need to take a door panel off and remove a
> speaker up front.

Why?

Old March 30th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeroen Feelders

What music do you play? For mainstream music the JVC's (see below this NG)
or similar plastic membrane speakers will do. For the bass-hungry and snappy
treble enthousiasts you'll need metalic membrane/dome speakers like the JBL
GTO's. The extra added stiffness of the membrane combined with a litle less
weight will bring you that little more pleasure.

Jeroen
The Netherlands

Old March 31st 09, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Hi, longtime reader, first time poster (I think.)
Clearwater ( www.Clearwater.com ) is the name of the speakers I've
been trying to remember since this thread started...
Specially made for the miata -- by a Miata owner.

It's been a couple years since I installed mine, and my better half
did the research and purchase of these for my birthday... That's why I
had trouble rembering the name.

The main issue with the OEM speakers is that they are underrated
compared to the power output of the stock stereo with volume at
maximum. And we tend to have volume at max when driving on the freeway
with the top down... So sooner or later, the OEM's will blow out.
That's what happened with Daisy. Clearwater is aware of and has
covered this issue... I've had no issues with the Clearwaters after
many miles of full blast volume.

The installation instructions are user-friendly, and cover all the
"gotchas" we wish we know about when doing something like removing the
door panel.

I highly recommend Clearwater speakers for your Miata, Daisy has been
very happy with her new speakers.

(posted using an iPhone)