Exhaust for MkIII 1.8 SE / Bad catalytic convertor??

Old March 9th 05, 09:37 AM
Alec

Default Exhaust for MkIII 1.8 SE / Bad catalytic convertor??

" All seemed well, but now I have a metallic rattle coming from under the
> mid-front when moving off from standstill. Once cruising the noise
> goes away again. There is no loss of power. I'm hoping it's the
> exhaust coming loose as I'm ready to have this replaced, but I'm
> wondering about the Cat as the sound seems to be coming more from this
> area. From my description could it be a bad Cat? Loose heat shield??
> Should I tap the Cat to see if it has debris inside??

That's the CAT loose in its box. It will eventually break-up and partially
block the exhaust giving severe loss of power.
Buy a replacement from GSF or EuroCarparts. Check their prices online.
Rgds
Alec

Old March 9th 05, 05:13 PM
Alec

"Paul Dormer" > wrote in message
> "Alec" emitted :
>
>>" All seemed well, but now I have a metallic rattle coming from under the
>>> mid-front when moving off from standstill. Once cruising the noise
>>> goes away again. There is no loss of power. I'm hoping it's the
>>> exhaust coming loose as I'm ready to have this replaced, but I'm
>>> wondering about the Cat as the sound seems to be coming more from this
>>> area. From my description could it be a bad Cat? Loose heat shield??
>>> Should I tap the Cat to see if it has debris inside??

>>That's the CAT loose in its box. It will eventually break-up and partially
>>block the exhaust giving severe loss of power.

> Turned out to be the heat shield - quick weld sorted it.

That was a welcome surprise !! :-)

>>Buy a replacement from GSF or EuroCarparts. Check their prices online.

> Are these your preferred places for buying VW parts online??

Yes, but I usually look online then visit the nearest branch.
Rgds

Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup Scott Ford Mustang 2 March 11th 05 12:36 AM
Replace catalytic converter? Matthew Technology 12 March 4th 05 05:53 PM
Magnum RT exhaust system Dan Dodge 7 February 16th 05 03:59 PM
Lifetime exhaust warranty ? DriveSpy VW water cooled 7 February 4th 05 12:00 AM
Catalytic Convertor Lambda Probe Ian Gaskell Audi 0 May 21st 04 05:14 PM