CARMAX SUCKS !!!

Old March 15th 09, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

Default CARMAX SUCKS !!!

if a vehicle has been damaged and the claim is NOT
filed with an insurance company , meaning it was fixed
and paid for by the owner / shop , then the carmax
report will show " no problems " .
D.

Old March 15th 09, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

D. > wrote:
>if a vehicle has been damaged and the claim is NOT
>filed with an insurance company , meaning it was fixed
>and paid for by the owner / shop , then the carmax
>report will show " no problems " .

Well, of course. Carmax is basically a database of insurance claim
reports. If no claim goes into the database, how can they report it
to you?

That doesn't mean it "sucks." It does precisely what it claims to do.
--scott

Old March 15th 09, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"D." > wrote in message
> if a vehicle has been damaged and the claim is NOT
> filed with an insurance company , meaning it was fixed
> and paid for by the owner / shop , then the carmax
> report will show " no problems " .
> D.

Of course Carmax will show, "no problems." Carmax pulls repair data filed by
insurance companies. If the insurance does not pay the repair bill, there is
nothing for them to report, and therefore no data for Carmax to pull.

On the other hand, if a repair is so minor than a person can pay the cost on
his own rather than to file a claim, then the repair is likely not worth
being concerned about.

Old March 15th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

that is SO not true !

Old March 15th 09, 10:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"D." > wrote in message
> that is SO not true !

You're right, they also pull from the DMV records. If an accident is so
slight as to fly under the reportable threshold established by the DMV,
there will be on data for Carmax to pull. Carmax also pulls from smog check
records and from reported dealer service, but this only gives mileage data,
not wreck histories, so I ignored the data source.

Your original post implied that your only interest was in the wreck history.
Wrecks are reported through the insurance carrier. My state, and I have no
reason to think other states would be different, requires ANY damage that
exceeds $750 to be reported. If one is driving along minding his own
business and a fence post jumps in front of the car, and the damage is
greater than $750 (I might be wrong, in which case the damage is greater
than $500), then one must file a report with the DMV. If another car
suddenly appears in your path, odds are very good that the damage will
exceed $750, and thereby trigger a report to the DMV.

If the damage is under $750, then it would likely be very minor anyway, and
I'm not sure why you would care if it was listed at Carmax or not.

You are the one that made the charge that a wreck did not show on Carmax
records, I'm only trying to help you understand the conditions where that
might be true.

Let me give another scenario. The car is older, say 10 or more years, and is
in an accident that is not all that traumatic but the repairs exceed 70% of
the value of the car. Given labor rates and parts costs, 70% of a low-value
car is pretty easy to do in a very minor accident. IF the owner even called
the insurance company to see if the repairs are covered, this will trigger a
salvage title because the insurance will determine the car to be a total
loss. Since the repairs would exceed the $750 limit, there ought to have
been a report filed with the DMV, but since the owner opted to do the
repairs himself, he might have skipped that part. If the car was not covered
anyway, then the owner might simply undertake the repairs and never call the
insurance company, and Carmax would never know since the state was also not
notified.

You discovered that Carmax is not perfect, all I'm doing is telling you what
might cause the loop hole that you found. You can bitch at me if you want,
but all I'm trying to do is help you understand the pitfalls that you
already discovered.

Old March 16th 09, 12:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DK[_4_]

D. wrote:
> if a vehicle has been damaged and the claim is NOT
> filed with an insurance company , meaning it was fixed
> and paid for by the owner / shop , then the carmax
> report will show " no problems " .
> D.

Do you mean Carfax?

-dk
Old March 16th 09, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:43:13 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>You discovered that Carmax is not perfect, all I'm doing is telling you what
>might cause the loop hole that you found. You can bitch at me if you want,
>but all I'm trying to do is help you understand the pitfalls that you
>already discovered.

Carmax, Carfax, et al give you the bad news. But, the absence of bad
news is not necessarily a good thing, and does not imply that there
*is* no bad news.

I guess that's a much too subtle a thing for many people.

I use Carfax and similar to tell me which cars I should definitely
walk away from, not which cars I should definitely buy. It's no less
valuable for that, if you think about it.
--
Dan.
Old March 16th 09, 01:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Dean Dark > wrote:

>Carmax, Carfax, et al give you the bad news. But, the absence of bad
>news is not necessarily a good thing, and does not imply that there
>*is* no bad news.

There is always bad news. That's the way cars are.

A friend of mine is a doctor, and he said that his surgery instructor
in medical school assured the class that every person alive today has
at least three things wrong with them that require surgery, and that it
was their job to find out what those things were for each patient.

Cars are like that.
--scott
Old March 16th 09, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

thanks for the reply Scott .
i now realize that i meant " carfax " .
i agree with your response .
D.

Old September 29th 15, 09:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
ken_lylif

replying to D., ken_lylif wrote:
I used to work for this company and I can honestly tell anyone who is looking
to buy a car, that you should stay away from CarMax. They state that they
inspect the cars, but I can tell you that they DONT. CarMax states they don't
sell cars with flood or frame damage yet I have sold 5 cars to customers that
they had inspected and found out that those cars did have frame damage and
where not inspected by CarMax and another sales guy sold 3more and that's just
the customers who went and got a separate inspection. I know for a fact that
CarMax just does a little carwash and makes the car look somewhat presentable
but they do not fix hardly anything. The financing is quick but the interest
rates are extremely high no matter how good your credit is. Stay away from
this company they are strickly about profits and don't care about the
customers or there employees I was let go because I kept bringing up these
issues to management and they got mad at me because I wouldn't keep my mouth
shut about the problems. Company Sucks Cars are CRAP. Plus don't believe them
about the clean Autocheck they offer most of them have a dirty carfax but wont
show the customer that.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/bmw/carmax-sucks-34953-.htm