2000 Brakes

Old May 31st 05, 10:03 PM
mischief_twin_1

Default 2000 Brakes

I am having problems depressing the caliper all the way on my rear brakes.
I have screwed it down, but it gets to a point that all it does is spin
freely and there is still not enough room to place the new pads. any idea?
thanks

Old May 31st 05, 10:21 PM
mischief_twin_1

FYI its a 2000 model.

Old May 31st 05, 10:36 PM
mischief_twin_1

FYI its a 2000 model.

Old May 31st 05, 10:51 PM
Kevin

"mischief_twin_1" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I am having problems depressing the caliper all the way on my rear
> brakes. I have screwed it down, but it gets to a point that all it
> does is spin freely and there is still not enough room to place the
> new pads. any idea? thanks

You sure you have the correct pads?
Try opening the bleeder and let excess fluid out - that also gets the old
caliper fluid out of the system instead of being pushed back into the
lines.
Is the parking brake fully released?
Old May 31st 05, 11:07 PM
mischief_twin_1

Yes the parking brake is fully released. Have tried opening the bleeder.
As for the pads thats what the parts store gave me. any other suggestions?

Old June 1st 05, 12:27 AM
RSCamaro

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:07:47 -0400, "mischief_twin_1"
> wrote:

>Yes the parking brake is fully released. Have tried opening the bleeder.
>As for the pads thats what the parts store gave me. any other suggestions?

Keep turning the rear adjustment pad, it should be flush when you are
done. If it is flush and you still can not fit everything back
together then they gave you the wrong pads. Did you buy the cheapest
or the more expensive factory style pads?

...Ron
--
68' Camaro RS
88' Firebird Formula
Old June 1st 05, 06:20 AM
Richard

Remove the cap on the master cylinder and siphon off about 1/2 of brake
fluid. Using a C clamp compress the pistons until they bottom out by putting
one clamping pad on the caliper body and the other on the outer brake pad.
With the piston(s) fully retracted the caliper and pads will easily slip
over the rotor.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 1st 05, 07:27 AM
Musttanguy

mischief_twin_1 wrote:
> I am having problems depressing the caliper all the way on my rear brakes.
> I have screwed it down, but it gets to a point that all it does is spin
> freely and there is still not enough room to place the new pads. any idea?
> thanks

The piston will need to be flush with the caliper housing in order to
fit new pads. The rear calipers MUST be rotated while pushing the
piston in. These can require quite a bit of pressure in addition to the
rotation to get them to seat.

Tim (Musttanguy)
PonyPerformance.com

Old June 1st 05, 01:34 PM
BK24

You can buy the tool at advance to compress the pistons for under 10 bucks.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:08 AM
RSCamaro

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 05:20:33 GMT, "Richard" > wrote:

>Remove the cap on the master cylinder and siphon off about 1/2 of brake
>fluid. Using a C clamp compress the pistons until they bottom out by putting
>one clamping pad on the caliper body and the other on the outer brake pad.
>With the piston(s) fully retracted the caliper and pads will easily slip
>over the rotor.
>
>--
>Richard

That sounds right for the front shoes but unfortunately he's having
difficulty with the rears.

...Ron
--
68' Camaro RS