anti Touareg sentiment

Old September 23rd 04, 05:19 PM
JH

Mike Smith wrote:
> JH wrote:
>

>> Actually, I deleted that post soon after posting it and replaced
>> "nice" with "interesting". That seemed more appropriate.

>> And, yes, it is "crappy" that dolts buy those SUVS, falling for the
>> marketing pitch that they are safe...

> Um, did you regret your original post, or not? Based on this last bit,
> it doesn't really sound like you do...
>
> --
> Mike Smith

yes <g>

Old September 23rd 04, 06:12 PM
Tony Bad

"Mike Smith" > wrote in message

> >>No, they shouldn't.

> > Why not?

> Because this (supposedly) is not a communist state? If you don't like
> the cars that the auto industry is buying, then *don't* buy them. If
> enough people agree with you, the auto industry will get the message
> (and *have been*, for the last 30 years).
>
> --
> Mike Smith

I don't think holding manufacturers of products to certain standards is
indicative of a "communist state". Do you feel that the FDA's mandate your can
of soup is free from botulism is evidence of Marxist leanings?

If a company makes a product that will impact the lives of those who do or do
not buy it, I think that some regulation is appropriate. I understand what you
mean, that big business will follow the money...but sometimes they need a push
in the right direction.
--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old September 23rd 04, 06:51 PM
William Maslin

In article >,
"aokvw" > wrote:

> What a firestorm of criticism my innocent request for T-Reg owner input
> created!! Haven't any other longterm, satisfied, VW owners purchased one of
> these vehicles?? I feel like I am out here all alone- and enjoying the hell
> out of it!
>
> Mike (ducking already)

Well, if I were indepently wealthy I might consider a Touareg just
because I'm a VW fan. But looking at the EPA 12/18 sticker in the
window, I just don't think I could justify it.

I don't understand why VW couldn't come up with a more fuel-efficient
powertrain for the Touareg. From what I've read, the 24 mpg V-10 diesel
is one the way to the US, but my guess is that it will cost $5000 or
$10000 more than the V6 model.

To tell you the thuth, I can't understand why any company would design a
V10 for a passenger vehicle. Or a V12 for that matter. Other than for
just plain old bragging rights, of course. Are they really so more
efficient than a V8 or a V6 that it's worth it to add all that
complexity and extra parts (and COST)? I suspect that if VW could come
up with a straight 6 or V6 diesel powered Touareg for a reasonable price
they'd sell a ton of them.

Bill
78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old September 23rd 04, 07:50 PM
Craig Faison

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, William Maslin wrote:

> because I'm a VW fan. But looking at the EPA 12/18 sticker in the
> window, I just don't think I could justify it.

Ditto. My full sized truck gets 18-20 mpg the way I use it daily... that's
about the mimimum mileage I can bear, and it still hurts some. ;-)

> To tell you the thuth, I can't understand why any company would design a
> V10 for a passenger vehicle. Or a V12 for that matter. Other than for
> just plain old bragging rights, of course.

IMHO, bragging rights is the answer. The typical American consumer doesn't
buy for practicality or efficiency, they buy to impress the neighbors.
Take a look/listen to recent Dodge truck commercials for example... One of
them has a song with the chorus "intimidate without even trying..." Uh,
whatever. It's almost embarrassing. Of course none of them will admit that
that's why they buy. ;-)

And to be fair, my wife's jetta wagon is a 1.8t. A 2.0 or TDI would've
been more practical, but the 1.8t is more fun... Obviously I'm not above
buying for reasons other than practicality myself, though I do think I
give it a bit more thought than the average consumer.

> complexity and extra parts (and COST)? I suspect that if VW could come
> up with a straight 6 or V6 diesel powered Touareg for a reasonable price
> they'd sell a ton of them.

Yep. When the next planned addition to the family comes along, I'm going
to "need" something that can seat 4 and tow a few thousand pounds. I'd
like for that vehicle to be reasonably priced and fairly fuel efficient.
My options are pretty slim at this point.

Craig

Old September 23rd 04, 09:37 PM
Steve Grauman

>Follow the links I posted earlier in the this thread to get the FACTS
>about SUV safety, Stevie Boy.

I'm well aware of the fact that many SUVs slip through loopholes in safty
regulation because they qualify as trcuks, not as cars, which are held to
different standards. However, take a look at the crash-test scores on the
Toureag and Cayenne, Volvo XC90, Acura MDX and BMW X3/X5. You'll notice all of
them scored highly and none of them are prone to rollovers. If these vehicles
cause accidents, it's the drivers faults.
Steve Grauman
Old September 23rd 04, 09:41 PM
Steve Grauman

>And to be fair, my wife's jetta wagon is a 1.8t. A 2.0 or TDI would've
>been more practica

Don't feel bad, the 1.8T and 2.0 actually get more or less identicle gas
mileage, that's one of the reasons the 1.8T is such a great engine. Only the
TDi would've been more fuel effcient, and it's understandable why you wouldn't
want that slug to drive everyday.
Steve Grauman
Old September 23rd 04, 10:23 PM
Numan

"Mike Smith" > wrote in message
> Numan wrote:

> > the

> >>No, they shouldn't.

> > Why not?

> Because this (supposedly) is not a communist state? If you don't like
> the cars that the auto industry is buying, then *don't* buy them. If
> enough people agree with you, the auto industry will get the message
> (and *have been*, for the last 30 years).
>
> --
> Mike Smith

It would be a communist state if the consumer was told what to buy
not if industry is forced to clean itself up. If the government leans on
the car industry to try and make itself clean up then they would. What
else are they going to do? Not make cars?

I am not a tree hugger in any way but calling SUV owners ugly names
does nothing to help SOCIETY or the ENVIRONMENT. Action should
be taken. Now bringing this all back to VW - I don't have any feelings
one way or the other about the Touareg. But, I do think it is too expensive.

Old September 23rd 04, 10:24 PM
Numan

"Tony Bad" > wrote in message
t...

> > > Why not?

> > Because this (supposedly) is not a communist state? If you don't like
> > the cars that the auto industry is buying, then *don't* buy them. If
> > enough people agree with you, the auto industry will get the message
> > (and *have been*, for the last 30 years).
> >
> > --
> > Mike Smith

> I don't think holding manufacturers of products to certain standards is
> indicative of a "communist state". Do you feel that the FDA's mandate your

can
> of soup is free from botulism is evidence of Marxist leanings?
>
> If a company makes a product that will impact the lives of those who do or

do
> not buy it, I think that some regulation is appropriate. I understand what

you
> mean, that big business will follow the money...but sometimes they need a

push
> in the right direction.
> --
> Tony Bad

You have a much better way of saying what I think. :-)

Old September 23rd 04, 11:52 PM
D. Dub

Umm the TDI is not a slug.

Old September 24th 04, 02:03 AM
Steve Grauman

>Umm the TDI is not a slug.

0-60 in 9.0 + seconds from a compact car isn't sluggish to you? The 1.8T Jetta
gets very good gas mileage and is capable of 0-60 in 7.1 seconds with a stick.
The TDi may be "useable", it's certainly not any slower than the average SUV.
But it certainly won't make anyone's heart race.
Steve Grauman