93 Ford Explorer Stalls While Driving

Old March 4th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 93 Ford Explorer Stalls While Driving

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 L that started stalling while
driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Old March 4th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1993 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 L that started stalling while
> driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
> key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
> it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
> never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
> time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
> within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
> would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
> turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
> restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
> problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
> low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
> replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
> relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
> service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
> the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
> drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
> are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Has anyone checked the fuel pressure yet ?

Old March 6th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rich

On Mar 4, 9:59 am, "Mike" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a 1993FordExplorerwith a 4.0 L that started stalling while
> > driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
> > key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
> > it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
> > never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
> > time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
> > within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
> > would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
> > turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
> > restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
> > problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
> > low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
> > replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
> > relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
> > service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
> > the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
> > drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
> > are greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Rich

> Has anyone checked the fuel pressure yet ?- Hide quoted text -

The shop tested the fuel pressure during one of its visits and said it
was okay. It is so random it might have been fine during that test.
I would like to put a fuel pressure gauge on on it so I can monitor it
while driving but havn't figured out what to purchase and where to
install it. I know it probably goes on the fuel rail or maybe I need
to install a tee fitting to make it work.

Old March 6th 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 5 Mar 2007 17:55:57 -0800, "Rich" > wrote:

>On Mar 4, 9:59 am, "Mike" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> >I have a 1993FordExplorerwith a 4.0 L that started stalling while
>> > driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
>> > key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
>> > it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
>> > never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
>> > time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
>> > within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
>> > would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
>> > turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
>> > restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
>> > problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
>> > low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
>> > replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
>> > relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
>> > service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
>> > the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
>> > drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
>> > are greatly appreciated.

>> > Thanks,

>> > Rich

>> Has anyone checked the fuel pressure yet ?- Hide quoted text -

>The shop tested the fuel pressure during one of its visits and said it
>was okay. It is so random it might have been fine during that test.
>I would like to put a fuel pressure gauge on on it so I can monitor it
>while driving but havn't figured out what to purchase and where to
>install it. I know it probably goes on the fuel rail or maybe I need
>to install a tee fitting to make it work.

Monitor the ignition too. Loss of spark is cause for more than of
shutdown complaints. Paraticularly if its abrupt like someone turning
off the key. You can duct tape a timing light to the windshield to
check.

Don
www.donsautomive.com

Old March 24th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rich

On Mar 4, 10:59 am, "Mike" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a 1993FordExplorerwith a 4.0 L that started stalling while
> > driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
> > key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
> > it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
> > never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
> > time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
> > within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
> > would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
> > turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
> > restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
> > problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
> > low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
> > replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
> > relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
> > service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
> > the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
> > drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
> > are greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Rich

> Has anyone checked the fuel pressure yet ?- Hide quoted text -

It has had the fuel pressure checked while in the shop. It is in the
shop right now and hasn't stalled for them. I recommended they put a
fuel gauge on it so when it does stall we will be able to see what the
pressure is at that point.

Old April 9th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mar 4, 1:18 am, wrote:
> I have a 1993 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 L that started stalling while
> driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
> key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
> it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
> never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
> time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
> within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
> would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
> turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
> restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
> problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
> low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
> replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
> relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
> service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
> the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
> drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
> are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Hey Rich,

I am just started having the same problem with my 94' Explorer XLT
Automatic, please let me know when you figure it out.

Old April 9th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

wrote: ( 1993 Ford Explorer 4.0 L )

It began started stalling while driving about six months ago. It shuts
off like someone turned the key. Originally you could push in the clutch
and immediately restart it. It used to happen once daily, most recently
twice a day. It now takes about 10 minutes each time to restart.
Shutdown is random and there is nothing common between occurrences.

I had the fuel filter, plugs & wires, fuel pump relay, and EEC relay replaced,
the IAC valve inspected, and the MAF sensor cleaned. The mechanic
said there is no error code. The vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition.

The condition is typical of an intermittently failing ignition module. The
failure doesn't set any code, and it is difficult to detect because it will
bench test good. If you leave it in the tester long enough to heat up,
the failure sometimes appears. Then if you disconnect it and it cools
down a little it will test good again.

When I experience this kind of failure I throw a $35 ignition module at it.
That usually does the job. If not, I take it to a profe$$ional mechanic.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old April 9th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
snupytcb[_2_]

has the cam or crank sensor been tested?

--
snupytcb
snupytcb's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=507515

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 9th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

>It began started stalling while driving about six months ago. It shuts
>off like someone turned the key. Originally you could push in the clutch
>and immediately restart it. It used to happen once daily, most recently
>twice a day. It now takes about 10 minutes each time to restart.
>Shutdown is random and there is nothing common between occurrences.

Ford Ignition Module sleeping sickness. I have seen this a couple times.
Swap the module out.
--scott

Old February 12th 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jeffrey Burns

replying to Rodan, Jeffrey Burns wrote:
When you say ignition module do you mean the Ignition Coil - Coil pack?

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/93-...ing-52860-.htm