Rear wiper on a Z Coupe

Old January 6th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Rear wiper on a Z Coupe

The rear wiper worked perfectly for 7 years and just suddenly stopped
working. The washer still responds to input from the stick on the
steering wheel column. Anyone experienced this?
Old January 7th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

I just repaired my wiper motor (18 Dec.). Z3 3.0i mod 2002.
The nozzle was obstructed and the liquid was pouring inside the wiper motor
then between the trim panel and the door.

The washing liquid goes through the shaft the wiper arm is screwed onto.
On the opposite end, there's a small plastic box covering the end of the
shaft, connected to the liquid inlet. A lip seal (SPI seal) is mounted
inside this small box, avoiding leaks into the gears. The lip and the spring
are turned towards the liquid side.

Failu
In my case, the spring supposed to ensure a good pressure of the lip against
the shaft was conpletely rusted and the liquid leaking inside.

Procedu

First, I removed the trim panel. There are two Parker screws inside the
inner handle which heads are hidden under two small plastic caps.
Then, I took a steel blade, covered it with fabric, not to damage the
plastic nor the paint. I slided it between the paned and the door, using it
as a lever.
I pulled the panel firmly but with an extreme care. I "gently violated it".
There are no wires interfering with it. I put it in the trunk.

Second, I dismounted the wiper motor and cleaned it (taking care not to put
petrol inside the motor itself nor inside the transducer).
I also replaced the seal it's an 16 x 10 x 4 with a spring. I replaced the
grease.

To fit a new seal, the operaton is tricky because the box connected to the
shaft on one side and the cleaning liquid tube on the opposite end has four
hot crushed lugs.
I had to cut them, keeping half of a millimeter length to get a good
centering further on.
I also made a hub cap with a big washer (20 mm int dia.) to remount the seal
plastic box with four 3 mm screws. The procedure needs to drill four new
holes in the wiper gear box flange because the current holes interfere with
the walls of the plastic box. Hard to describe :-(

I took some pictures and drew a sketch of the parts to build and modify.
Seeing them the procedure appears to be very simple !
Should you be interested, feel free to ask me, it would be a pleasure for me
to help you, putting the Technical Package on Megaupload or similar.
My intention was write a FAQ for the Z3 French club site. I didn't have time
up to now.

At the end of the first step, pay attention onto the door switch and the way
it's mounted under the lock: two "key holes" that's all !
This is one of the issues with the rear door when the lugs disengage from
the key holes. Worth to observe prior to the failure occurs!

Don't keep trying to use the rear wiper because the rust may be installed
inside the gears making uncoverable damages. Moreover, the liquid goes
stright on through the hatchback lock !

Good luck

news: ...

Old November 26th 15, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
wektor[_2_]

replying to phil.brotherton, wektor wrote:
Over time, the wiper on BMW X5, X6 cars goes down, the brush «sticky» at
work, or stop moving completely.
The reason is that the wiper motor BMW 61617200510 wear plastic pinion teeth
licks.
Riding with a defective wiper is very dangerous, especially in winter.

The manufacturer sells only trapeze wiper assembly with an electric motor
worth more than $400.

We produce and sell the gear motor wiper BMW 61617200510 separately.
vanos-bmw.com/gear-motor-wiper-bmw-x5-e70-x6-e71-oem-61617200510

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/bmw/rear-...upe-32330-.htm

rear wiper sofi Honda 0 July 29th 06 03:33 PM
Rear wiper Carl Jeep 1 January 1st 06 07:08 PM
rear wiper washer arm Caravan05 Dodge 2 December 20th 05 06:04 AM
Rear Wiper Motor CaravanGuy Chrysler 5 May 14th 05 01:15 AM
rear wiper Tj99jeep Jeep 0 January 20th 05 05:24 AM