Dellorto carbs linkage problem

Old December 7th 04, 09:19 PM
Tony Wilkinson

Default Dellorto carbs linkage problem

Hi,
I have fitted a pair of twin choke dellorto DRLA36's to my T1 1600
trike.
Due to height limitations I have had to use short manifolds and a cetre pull
linkage.
My problem is the Scat linkage, part No30050 moves both throttle arms to the
right when operated, where as the carbs both want to be pulled towards the
centre. I.E. left carb spindle turns clocwise, right carb spindle turns
anticlockwise.
Do I need a different linkage or is it my carbs that are wrong? ( I think
they were off an Alfa)
Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony.

Old December 7th 04, 09:38 PM
Jan Andersson

Tony Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi,
> I have fitted a pair of twin choke dellorto DRLA36's to my T1 1600
> trike.
> Due to height limitations I have had to use short manifolds and a cetre pull
> linkage.
> My problem is the Scat linkage, part No30050 moves both throttle arms to the
> right when operated, where as the carbs both want to be pulled towards the
> centre. I.E. left carb spindle turns clocwise, right carb spindle turns
> anticlockwise.
> Do I need a different linkage or is it my carbs that are wrong? ( I think
> they were off an Alfa)
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony.

You have "identical" carbs. The VW boxer engine normally uses "mirror
image" carbs. The only difference is the shaft, at which end of the
shaft the linkage attaches to. The shaft itself isn't symmetrical, so
you can't just swap the lever system over to the opposite side and turn
one carb around 180 degrees. Shaft is too short at the other end.

You need to come up with an alternative way of fitting the lever
pieces.. try mounting the other side upside down or fab your own so that
it would also pull open like the other side. One would point down while
the other would point up from the shaft... get what I mean?

Jan
Old December 7th 04, 09:44 PM
Tony Wilkinson

Hi Jan,
I did try fitting one of the arms downwards but the heim joints on the
linkage dont allow enough angle to reach that low down.
I could try bending one of the linkage rods if there is no other solution,
trouble is they appear to be made from some sort of alloy and as such
presumably wont take too kindly to being bent.
I have seen adverts for "push/pull" type linkages, would one of these sort
it out?

Cheers,

Tony.