Gear Box / Transmition

Old October 7th 05, 02:02 PM
Tricky

Default Gear Box / Transmition

Hello all

books and how-too's everywhere for stripping and building engines.

Look for how-too's on gearboxes and all I get is 'dont bother, you need
special tools'etc etc

Is it reall a black art ? or just a case of getting the right tools ?

Also (OT: now ) Auto boxes - We are all used to changing the clutch
plate on manuals relativly regularly - do the plates in auto boxes 'last
forever' so to speak ? or what ?

I have been looking into how auto transmitions work since I bought the
Firebird :-) They seem quite amazing !

Rich
Old October 7th 05, 04:12 PM
Speedy Jim

Tricky wrote:

> Hello all
>
> books and how-too's everywhere for stripping and building engines.
>
> Look for how-too's on gearboxes and all I get is 'dont bother, you need
> special tools'etc etc
>
> Is it reall a black art ? or just a case of getting the right tools ?
>
> Also (OT: now ) Auto boxes - We are all used to changing the clutch
> plate on manuals relativly regularly - do the plates in auto boxes 'last
> forever' so to speak ? or what ?
>
> I have been looking into how auto transmitions work since I bought the
> Firebird :-) They seem quite amazing !
>
> Rich

See:
http://www.ckoon.org/vw/tranny/tranny.html
http://www.longenterprises.com/

The VW autostick has a clutch disc just like the manual box.
And they do eventually wear out to the point where the
servo can't compensate for the wear. Replacement is *not*
fun.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 8th 05, 04:08 PM
Anthony

Two things:

Yes you do need a lot of special tools -- gauges, snap ring pliers,
micrometers, etc.

Also, you need to be really good at feeling the proper play in a
bearing, setting preloads, etc.

If you have the tools, and you have a multitude of automotive
experience, you could probably do it. I've been working on cars for
half of my life and I still don't feel confident enough to tackle a
transmission.

Old October 8th 05, 04:22 PM
Tricky

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Tricky wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> books and how-too's everywhere for stripping and building engines.
>>
>> Look for how-too's on gearboxes and all I get is 'dont bother, you
>> need special tools'etc etc
>>
>> Is it reall a black art ? or just a case of getting the right tools ?
>>
>> Also (OT: now ) Auto boxes - We are all used to changing the clutch
>> plate on manuals relativly regularly - do the plates in auto boxes
>> 'last forever' so to speak ? or what ?
>>
>> I have been looking into how auto transmitions work since I bought the
>> Firebird :-) They seem quite amazing !
>>
>> Rich

> See:
> http://www.ckoon.org/vw/tranny/tranny.html
> http://www.longenterprises.com/
>
> The VW autostick has a clutch disc just like the manual box.
> And they do eventually wear out to the point where the
> servo can't compensate for the wear. Replacement is *not*
> fun.

Thanks Jim

I will have a read, and do some more searching now I know people DIY it !

You hear about racers changing the ratios till they get if right for
them, but all the books sugest gear work is either not possible or not
cost effective for the DIY'er

Rich
Old September 2nd 15, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

在 2005年10月7日星期五 UTC+8下午9:02:10,Tricky写道:
> Hello all
>
> books and how-too's everywhere for stripping and building engines.
>
> Look for how-too's on gearboxes and all I get is 'dont bother, you need
> special tools'etc etc
>
> Is it reall a black art ? or just a case of getting the right tools ?
>
> Also (OT: now ) Auto boxes - We are all used to changing the clutch
> plate on manuals relativly regularly - do the plates in auto boxes 'last
> forever' so to speak ? or what ?
>
> I have been looking into how auto transmitions work since I bought the
> Firebird :-) They seem quite amazing !
>
> Rich

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Anny Liu
Tel:+86-755-27322652
Fax:+86-755-27323949

Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao’an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China