Current Leak in 1993 Corrado

Old July 11th 09, 09:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
DC[_2_]

Default Current Leak in 1993 Corrado

<snip>
> With the security system disconnected it is 0.25 Amp.

250mA is a significant draw, and could indeed be expected to render an
average battery flat in several days. If as I understand this is a new
problem and nothing has been worked on or changed recently my pick would be
glove box light, boot light or some other low illumination bulb not
switching off. another possibility is an audio power amp remaining powered
because of sticking contacts in an ignition switch / relay.....

Good luck, VERY frustrating.

Dave

Old July 11th 09, 09:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

> schreef in bericht
>
> I have one of those VW solar panels. I bought it at a hamfest for 5
> bucks. (I knew I'd find a use for it some day).
>
> But with this draw, I hope the sun shines at midnight.
>
> My mechanic did the following:
>
> 1. First replaced the battery since it was 8 years old.
>
> 2. Put an ammeter between the positive battery post and the clamp with
> the wires that went to that post.
>
> 3. He pulled every fuse and relay and looked for a drop in the leakage
> current.
>
> 4. When he didn't detect any change; he assumed the problem had to be at
> the fuse panel itself due to resistance tracking.
>
> 5. So I found a brand new fuse panel (for a 93 Corrado---I'm proud of
> that ) He replaced the panel. No difference.
>
> 6. He disconnected the security system which cut the leakage by 3/4.
>
> 7. He ran some test on the alternator and said it was okay.
>
> So I'm about to repeat his tracing myself. Maybe he missed something?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Rick

Your mechanic did the right thing but some electrical components don't have
fuses. So pull the connectors of some of them. Also check for hidden in-line
fuses on audio stuff.

SFC

Old October 10th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >,
"DC" > wrote:

> <snip>
> > With the security system disconnected it is 0.25 Amp.

> 250mA is a significant draw, and could indeed be expected to render an
> average battery flat in several days. If as I understand this is a new
> problem and nothing has been worked on or changed recently my pick would be
> glove box light, boot light or some other low illumination bulb not
> switching off. another possibility is an audio power amp remaining powered
> because of sticking contacts in an ignition switch / relay.....
>
> Good luck, VERY frustrating.
>
> Dave

Found the source of the problem: a current leak through one of the
automatic seatbelt circuits.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old October 10th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Had that same problem on a '91 Passat.
Then the other seat belt system went bad soon after = same problem.