WWII Jeep 'found in crate' set to cross Greenwich auction block

Old June 5th 13, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
MummyChunk

Default WWII Jeep 'found in crate' set to cross Greenwich auction block

From AB

Fans of old military vehicles might want to pay extra close attention
to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance coming up this weekend. Crossing
the Bonhams auction block on Sunday are a pair of seemingly flawless
World War II Jeeps, which are both expected to fetch serious dollars.

Lot Number 305 at the auction is a 1945 Ford GPW Jeep that has been
fully restored, which is expected to command between $35,000 and
$45,000. Shortly after the Ford GPW, a potentially more interesting
1944 Willys MB (shown above) will be auctioned off, but Hemmings
raises some red flags about this Jeep. First, it is claiming to have
been "discovered in its original crate about 30 years ago,"
but there is no proof or documentation of any sort. Also, it is
claiming to be all original, but it was given a paint job
"shortly after it was discovered." Even with these
questionable descriptions, this Willys could reach between $20,000 and
$30,000.

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...4128#226774128

Old June 6th 13, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 6/5/2013 1:10 AM, MummyChunk wrote:
> From AB
>

> Fans of old military vehicles might want to pay extra close attention
> to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance coming up this weekend. Crossing
> the Bonhams auction block on Sunday are a pair of seemingly flawless
> World War II Jeeps, which are both expected to fetch serious dollars.
>
> Lot Number 305 at the auction is a 1945 Ford GPW Jeep that has been
> fully restored, which is expected to command between $35,000 and
> $45,000. Shortly after the Ford GPW, a potentially more interesting
> 1944 Willys MB (shown above) will be auctioned off, but Hemmings
> raises some red flags about this Jeep. First, it is claiming to have
> been "discovered in its original crate about 30 years ago,"
> but there is no proof or documentation of any sort. Also, it is
> claiming to be all original, but it was given a paint job
> "shortly after it was discovered." Even with these
> questionable descriptions, this Willys could reach between $20,000 and
> $30,000.
>
> View the attachments for this post at:
> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...4128#226774128

It is unlikely that either vehicle will fetch those values. The market
is still depressed, and the providence of the second vehicle is
questionable, while the first being a show restoration and not an
original or working restoration is actually less valuable.

However, people are known to do things that are not sensible
financially--such as bid up vehicles above their true worth.

Want to know the worth? Well, there are lots of resources including MV
magazine and MVPA.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old June 7th 13, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

PeterD wrote:
> On 6/5/2013 1:10 AM, MummyChunk wrote:
>> From AB
>>

>> Fans of old military vehicles might want to pay extra close attention
>> to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance coming up this weekend. Crossing
>> the Bonhams auction block on Sunday are a pair of seemingly flawless
>> World War II Jeeps, which are both expected to fetch serious dollars.
>>
>> Lot Number 305 at the auction is a 1945 Ford GPW Jeep that has been
>> fully restored, which is expected to command between $35,000 and
>> $45,000. Shortly after the Ford GPW, a potentially more interesting
>> 1944 Willys MB (shown above) will be auctioned off, but Hemmings
>> raises some red flags about this Jeep. First, it is claiming to have
>> been "discovered in its original crate about 30 years ago,"
>> but there is no proof or documentation of any sort. Also, it is
>> claiming to be all original, but it was given a paint job
>> "shortly after it was discovered." Even with these
>> questionable descriptions, this Willys could reach between $20,000
>> and $30,000.
>>
>> View the attachments for this post at:
>> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...4128#226774128
>>

> It is unlikely that either vehicle will fetch those values. The market
> is still depressed, and the providence of the second vehicle is
> questionable, while the first being a show restoration and not an
> original or working restoration is actually less valuable.
>
> However, people are known to do things that are not sensible
> financially--such as bid up vehicles above their true worth.
>
> Want to know the worth? Well, there are lots of resources including MV
> magazine and MVPA.

Yea, either one would be cool to own but it's important to remember the original WWII jeeps were very twitch and had a pension to
flip.

Price wise, I'd stay away from a "freshly repainted" anything. That destroys the original value of the period paint job.

--
DougW