lugnuts - covers breaking

Old September 30th 13, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default lugnuts - covers breaking

Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado -
Our son now has it up in Wisc.... for kayaking... below is email
discussion...
----

A friend had a flat tire, and could not get the lugnuts off - tire iron was
too big, and would not fit them...

SO - here's an observation.
I think I saw on our Jeep that a couple of the lugnuts had lost their silver
covers... which should be solid on them.
The tire iron is under the passenger side flip seat.

You might check this out and see if the tire iron will fit and turn both the
normally covered silver lugnut,
and the broken ones with the raw lugnuts showing.

If not, I would suggest buying some replacements, -
I also seem to recall the front and rear are actually different sizes,
depths, or something...

Just thought I would pass this along to fix now,
in case you ever had a flat and would not be able to get the lugnuts removed
due to mismatch between tire iron vs lugnut diameter.

see ya - Dad -

---------
Seems really stupid to have a nut with a cover that have two different
sizes, and breaks off...
I'll take a look at it.
Probably will just get an 18mm lug wrench, throw it in the back, and be
done.
Sounds like they just break off after awhile.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...g-them-662938/

Old September 30th 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

I am thinking of just getting a handful for replacements when they break.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...-/171033037156

are they all the same sizes ? front vs rear vs ??

Old September 30th 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"ps56k" > wrote in message ...
> Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo -
> Our son now has it up in Wisc.... for kayaking... below is email
> discussion...
> ----
>
> A friend had a flat tire, and could not get the lugnuts off - tire iron was
> too big, and would not fit them...
>
> SO - here's an observation.
> I think I saw on our Jeep that a couple of the lugnuts had lost their silver
> covers... which should be solid on them.
> The tire iron is under the passenger side flip seat.
>
> You might check this out and see if the tire iron will fit and turn both the
> normally covered silver lugnut,
> and the broken ones with the raw lugnuts showing.
>
> If not, I would suggest buying some replacements, -
> I also seem to recall the front and rear are actually different sizes,
> depths, or something...
>
> Just thought I would pass this along to fix now,
> in case you ever had a flat and would not be able to get the lugnuts removed
> due to mismatch between tire iron vs lugnut diameter.
>
> see ya - Dad -
>
> ---------
> Seems really stupid to have a nut with a cover that have two different
> sizes, and breaks off...
> I'll take a look at it.
> Probably will just get an 18mm lug wrench, throw it in the back, and be
> done.
> Sounds like they just break off after awhile.
>
> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...g-them-662938/

how about getting these for the 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-CHROME-LU...-/271224845645

tnx -

Old September 30th 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

ps56k wrote:
> Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado -
> Our son now has it up in Wisc.... for kayaking... below is email
> discussion...
> ----
>
> A friend had a flat tire, and could not get the lugnuts off - tire
> iron was too big, and would not fit them...
>
> SO - here's an observation.
> I think I saw on our Jeep that a couple of the lugnuts had lost their
> silver covers... which should be solid on them.
> The tire iron is under the passenger side flip seat.
>
> You might check this out and see if the tire iron will fit and turn
> both the normally covered silver lugnut,
> and the broken ones with the raw lugnuts showing.
>
> If not, I would suggest buying some replacements, -
> I also seem to recall the front and rear are actually different sizes,
> depths, or something...
>
> Just thought I would pass this along to fix now,
> in case you ever had a flat and would not be able to get the lugnuts
> removed due to mismatch between tire iron vs lugnut diameter.
>
> see ya - Dad -
>
> ---------
> Seems really stupid to have a nut with a cover that have two different
> sizes, and breaks off...
> I'll take a look at it.
> Probably will just get an 18mm lug wrench, throw it in the back, and
> be done.
> Sounds like they just break off after awhile.
>
> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...g-them-662938/

I've had a couple twisted off by idiots with an impact wrench.
Just use the next smaller metric 6point socket and call them "anti theft"

--
DougW

Old October 31st 13, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

: ----
:
: ---------
: Seems really stupid to have a nut with a cover that have two different
: sizes, and breaks off...
: I'll take a look at it.
: Probably will just get an 18mm lug wrench, throw it in the back, and be
: done.
: Sounds like they just break off after awhile.
:
:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...g-them-662938/
:
:
I don't check this group often because it's pretty slow and you've probably
found a fix by now but here's my experience with chrome cover style lug
nuts:

Toss em ... they're nothing but trouble to the car owner or tire shop but
cheap to purchase by the car manufacturer

Instead go down to your local parts store and get regular chrome plated
acorn style nuts and use them.

To be sure they are chrome plated and not the chrome shell over a regular
nut look for a parting line between the chrome side and the cone (wheel
side) cone of the nut.

A chrome plated nut won't have a visible joint between the side of the nut
and the cone shaped area.

--
Budd Cochran

Old November 6th 13, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message

> Instead go down to your local parts store and get regular chrome plated
> acorn style nuts and use them.
>
> To be sure they are chrome plated and not the chrome shell over a regular
> nut look for a parting line between the chrome side and the cone (wheel
> side) cone of the nut.
>
> A chrome plated nut won't have a visible joint between the side of the nut
> and the cone shaped area.

these were all orig equip on the 2001 Grand Cherokee -
whatever they were/are -

I'll have to take a look and see if they are...
"regular chrome plated acorn style nuts"

Here's what I quickly grabbed from eBay
to have some replacements....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271224845645?item=271224845645

Old November 7th 13, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"ps56k" > wrote in message
:
: "Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
[...]
Those do look like O.E.M. parts but I've found that original equipment may
not hold up the best in the long run.

However, if you want to keep it looking all original then you made a good
choice.

As for me, I just don't want the wheels to fall off.

--
Budd Cochran

Need proof that we need less government?

They can't run a website that could have

been built with WYSIWYG5!

stripped lugnuts The Merg Jeep 23 March 3rd 07 07:32 AM
Lugnuts... Where to buy online (Canada) Noozer General 0 October 22nd 06 07:19 PM
Breaking In a New Car ... [email protected] General 9 August 31st 05 01:52 AM
Incredibly hard-to-remove lugnuts James P. H. Fuller 4x4 28 October 21st 04 03:47 PM
Incredibly hard-to-remove lugnuts James P. H. Fuller Antique cars 27 October 21st 04 03:47 PM