TrackIR and Racing Sims?

Old December 19th 04, 06:45 PM
BRH

Default TrackIR and Racing Sims?

Is anyone here using the NaturalPoint TrackIR (www.trackir.com)with
Racings Sims?

It seems to be geared more for flight sims (which I'm into much less
than racing sims), but has direct support for a few racing sims as well,
like GTR and LFS. (There may be more....) It also reportedly has
indirect support for GPL through the GPLShift utility.

I'm curious about how worthwhile this thing is for racing sims, how easy
it is to install and use, whether it requires it's own power (other than
what's supplied through USB), and whether it supports other racing sims
either directly or indirectly.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old December 19th 04, 08:25 PM
Andi Cole

Try here http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/v...ic.php?t=24950

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

Old December 21st 04, 09:07 AM
Asgeir Nesoen

A head motion tracker won't cut it for me. I need to see in the
direction my head points. Having my eyes glued to a stationnary screen
while turning my head will make me dizzy, disoriented and generally
nauseated...

Now, where are those eyeglasses with 1280x1024 with head tracking gear
for a reasonable price???

---Asgeir---

Old December 21st 04, 12:17 PM
Pez

If you get 2 small colour LCD screens, 2 magnifying glasses, a helmet, some
sello tape and trackir you can make your own head mounted display.

couple it with a dual head nvidia card outputting true 3d stereo (separate
left right eye images through each output) and youve got the worlds most
advanced monitor for computer gaming. Trully immersive gaming.

cool!

the technology is here now, the 3d stereo works really really well (ive only
used it in anaglyph and lcd shuttered modes, but im reliably informed that
the nv cards dual headed stereo modes work really well using polarisation on
a single screen or 2 monitors offset too - small jump from there to 2 lcds
in front of your eyes). If only someone would produce a hires HMD with head
tracking a la Track IR for consumers that didnt cost stupid money.

pez

Old December 21st 04, 01:20 PM
Don Burnette

I thought so as well, as I get motion sickness very easy - heck, I can't
even play fps games because of it. Track IR does not seem to bother me
though.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."