$1500.00 for a 44??

Old September 28th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Default $1500.00 for a 44??

Anyone know why these are so cheap
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...4&partID=15586 I
mean $1479.00 for a complete front 44 with locker is pretty cheap. How does
the locker work on rubicons? Says for TJ YJ and CJ owners, but mounting into
those is responsibility of owner, well no kidding, but what would work and
not work if going into a CJ?
I'm swapping my frame, have narrow track on CJ now, but also have wide
track axles that came under new frame, was going to switch to wide track,
but to do that I have to get and install 4.10s and inner cromoly axle
shafts, about $600.00. So just wondered how bolt in this would be, and no
I'm not worried about it being 61", I'd probably get a 9" for rear then. I'm
not worried either about doing the swap, I've done 2 YJ rears, 9" and 8.8,
and had my 30 and 20 out and apart. All I want to know is how far off
working in a CJ this would be, steering, powering locker etc.???
Greg

Old September 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Greg wrote:
> Anyone know why these are so cheap

Dunno, but if I needed one that would sure be a easy decision.

> http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...4&partID=15586
> I mean $1479.00 for a complete front 44 with locker is pretty cheap.
> How does the locker work on rubicons?

It's an e-locker like the Eaton, just give it juice to lock.

> Says for TJ YJ and CJ owners,
> but mounting into those is responsibility of owner, well no kidding,
> but what would work and not work if going into a CJ?

Got me there.

Old September 28th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3769_]

Surely sounds good to me, other than the housing is on the wrong side,
but for that price we could swap tubes. I don't really know how strong they
are though, like the Japanese gear that only fits that 44, like will it hold
a real engine?
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Sep 28, 9:29 am, "Greg" > wrote:
> Anyone know why these are so cheaphttp://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=354&partID=15586I
> mean $1479.00 for a complete front 44 with locker is pretty cheap. How does
> the locker work on rubicons? Says for TJ YJ and CJ owners, but mounting into
> those is responsibility of owner, well no kidding, but what would work and
> not work if going into a CJ?
> I'm swapping my frame, have narrow track on CJ now, but also have wide
> track axles that came under new frame, was going to switch to wide track,
> but to do that I have to get and install 4.10s and inner cromoly axle
> shafts, about $600.00. So just wondered how bolt in this would be, and no
> I'm not worried about it being 61", I'd probably get a 9" for rear then. I'm
> not worried either about doing the swap, I've done 2 YJ rears, 9" and 8.8,
> and had my 30 and 20 out and apart. All I want to know is how far off
> working in a CJ this would be, steering, powering locker etc.???
> Greg

It looks like those are stock from Mopar but the others sold by 4wd
hardware come with an aftermerket locker and alloy shafts. That might
be why the others cost a bit more. Also keep in mind that the JK D44
front axle has the small tubes like the D30. The rear, on the other
hand, is stronger than a normal D44, huge tubes (like D60) and a
larger pinion shaft.

Old September 28th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Thanks to all, guess I'll keep my 30.

"nrs" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 28, 9:29 am, "Greg" > wrote:
>> Anyone know why these are so
>> cheaphttp://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=354&partID=15586I
>> mean $1479.00 for a complete front 44 with locker is pretty cheap. How
>> does
>> the locker work on rubicons? Says for TJ YJ and CJ owners, but mounting
>> into
>> those is responsibility of owner, well no kidding, but what would work
>> and
>> not work if going into a CJ?
>> I'm swapping my frame, have narrow track on CJ now, but also have wide
>> track axles that came under new frame, was going to switch to wide track,
>> but to do that I have to get and install 4.10s and inner cromoly axle
>> shafts, about $600.00. So just wondered how bolt in this would be, and no
>> I'm not worried about it being 61", I'd probably get a 9" for rear then.
>> I'm
>> not worried either about doing the swap, I've done 2 YJ rears, 9" and
>> 8.8,
>> and had my 30 and 20 out and apart. All I want to know is how far off
>> working in a CJ this would be, steering, powering locker etc.???
>> Greg

> It looks like those are stock from Mopar but the others sold by 4wd
> hardware come with an aftermerket locker and alloy shafts. That might
> be why the others cost a bit more. Also keep in mind that the JK D44
> front axle has the small tubes like the D30. The rear, on the other
> hand, is stronger than a normal D44, huge tubes (like D60) and a
> larger pinion shaft.

1500 to 1600: What Tin to get? griff VW air cooled 5 July 21st 07 02:02 AM
1500 to 1600DP Sneaks VW air cooled 4 April 18th 06 09:11 PM
Tow Hooks for an '02 ram 1500 js 4x4 2 April 2nd 05 10:04 AM