A lap around "The Ring"

Old March 13th 05, 08:40 PM
Steve Smith

Yeah...if only SimBin had had a BMW M3 V8 in GTR (to be fair, BMW didn't
have an M3 in the year simmed--2003--only that fruity little Z3 hatchback
with the inline 6). The M3 was supposed to be avail as an add-on, but
apparently BMW freaked. (Or demanded blood money.)

om...

Old March 13th 05, 09:16 PM
Mitch_A

Steve Smith wrote:

> Yeah...if only SimBin had had a BMW M3 V8 in GTR (to be fair, BMW didn't
> have an M3 in the year simmed--2003--only that fruity little Z3 hatchback
> with the inline 6). The M3 was supposed to be avail as an add-on, but
> apparently BMW freaked. (Or demanded blood money.)

Thats too bad. You would think these mfg's would realize it's free
advertising and not name exploitation. Isnt racing all about advertising
products anyway? Having your products in these sims generates more
positive interest doesnt it? The void by the absence seems more
detrimental to the mfg/service than licensing can make up for if ya ask me.
EA not included in that statement of course Im mean seriously, how
could BMW go wrong in this instance?

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old March 13th 05, 09:32 PM
Robin Lord

>> Yeah...if only SimBin had had a BMW M3 V8 in GTR (to be fair, BMW didn't
>> have an M3 in the year simmed--2003--only that fruity little Z3 hatchback
>> with the inline 6). The M3 was supposed to be avail as an add-on, but
>> apparently BMW freaked. (Or demanded blood money.)
>>

> Thats too bad. You would think these mfg's would realize it's free
> advertising and not name exploitation. Isnt racing all about advertising
> products anyway? Having your products in these sims generates more
> positive interest doesnt it? The void by the absence seems more
> detrimental to the mfg/service than licensing can make up for if ya ask
> me.
> EA not included in that statement of course Im mean seriously, how
> could BMW go wrong in this instance?
>
> Mitch

BMW had the M3 GTR in 2003 for the Nürburgring 24hr if nothing else, cause I
was there. However it was a bit of an embarassment for them as they packed
the M3 GTRs radiators with dry ice prior to the race start which caused
broken oil lines and the cars had to stop on the very 1st lap, not getting
back out top do their 1st lap for a couple of hours

Bad memories maybe?

Robin

Old March 13th 05, 09:58 PM
Steve Smith

Sorry, I meant to say BMW didn't have the M3 V8 in the FIA's GT Racing
series (which is what the game GTR simulates). They did run the car
elsewhere, but the race at the Nurburgring wasn't part of the FIA GT
Championship that year:

http://www.fiagt.com/results.php?eve...03&reporttype=

Neither were such enduro classics as Daytona, Sebring, the TT, Le Mans, etc.
Politics...or worse, *French* politics. (Sorry if I offended any
descendants of Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Montier--better known
as the Marquis de Lafayette--we are still grateful....)

news

Old March 13th 05, 11:30 PM
John DiFool

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:25:27 -0500, R.D.S. > wrote:

>They no longer use the orignal 14 mile course for racing. they built a
>shorter and safer course for modern racing venues.

There are in fact several races per year on the Nordschleife,
including the famous 24 hour race (which this year TPTB
decided to NOT run opposite the Lemans 24 hour race,
thank god).

Old March 14th 05, 10:44 AM
Jussi Koukku

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:11:51 -0500, R.D.S. > wrote
something like:

>Check it out, Awesome lap around the Nurburgring with Hans Stuck
>
>http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

Wow. Never realised how much noise the gearbox/power train really
makes. You can hardly hear the engine at high speeds.
--
- Jussi Koukku -
Old March 14th 05, 01:58 PM
Robin Lord

> Wow. Never realised how much noise the gearbox/power train really
> makes. You can hardly hear the engine at high speeds.

If you think the noise is bad on that, check out this
http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/assen-bmwstw.wmv
Great vid where a 320i starts at the back and works his way through

Robin

Old March 14th 05, 03:03 PM
Todd Walker

In article >,
says...
> > Wow. Never realised how much noise the gearbox/power train really
> > makes. You can hardly hear the engine at high speeds.

> If you think the noise is bad on that, check out this

http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/assen-bmwstw.wmv
> Great vid where a 320i starts at the back and works his way through
>
> Robin

Holy ****! I had to stop watching about halfway through because my ears
were hurting. How in the hell do drivers put up with that? Good earplugs
I guess...

--
_________________________
Todd Walker
Old March 14th 05, 03:15 PM
Dave Henrie

Jussi Koukku > wrote in
:

> Wow. Never realised how much noise the gearbox/power train really
> makes. You can hardly hear the engine at high speeds.
> --
> - Jussi Koukku -

That is one area we've not been exposed truthfully to I think.
I remember the BMW touring cars that ran in the AUssie Super Touring series
back in the mid 90's, they were schreechingly, painfully loud when the
incar camera was shown. I loved it. So whenever we get just the barest
hint of gear whine, like the tptcc mod's sound file, I tend to get
overenthused.

dave henrie
Old March 14th 05, 07:16 PM
Malc

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> Jussi Koukku > wrote in
> :
>

> > Wow. Never realised how much noise the gearbox/power train really
> > makes. You can hardly hear the engine at high speeds.
> > --
> > - Jussi Koukku -
> >

> That is one area we've not been exposed truthfully to I think.
> I remember the BMW touring cars that ran in the AUssie Super Touring

series
> back in the mid 90's, they were schreechingly, painfully loud when the
> incar camera was shown. I loved it. So whenever we get just the barest
> hint of gear whine, like the tptcc mod's sound file, I tend to get
> overenthused.

Bear in mind that a) the driver will be wearing a helmet & balaclava, and b)
the amount of noise from the diff is dependant on the position & type of mic
on the video camera, and will only really be excessively loud in-car in a
front-engined, RWD chassis.

Malc.

"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 12:25 PM
99 Cobra cracked ring cgun Ford Mustang 10 February 22nd 05 05:33 PM
Anyone heard the new NFL Ring tones? [email protected] Driving 4 January 11th 05 02:40 PM
cause of broken ring gear teeth RLGIRSCH 4x4 0 October 11th 04 09:05 PM