"over-run" brakes?

Old April 18th 05, 03:22 AM
John Davies

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:14:03 -0600, "Nathan W. Collier"
> wrote:

>bottom line, if you werent there to supervise/explain would you let your
>wife tow an 8000 pound camper from billings to helena (using the jordon
>brake controller) and trust that she will be able to make the proper
>adjustments on the fly? i think this is the biggest reason i ordered surge,
>so that my wife could pull it with confidence.

Well, I don't like to even let my wife drive my truck, period.

I think you made the prudent decision with surge brakes, in your
situation.

Knowledge is power - the thing that scares me most is clueless travel
trailer owners bombing down the freeway with no concept of how their
rigs behave under marginal conditions, what their trailers actually
weigh and how much tongue weight they have. Or even if their brakes
are working or how much air is in the tires ;(

I give them all a wide berth....

John
Old April 18th 05, 05:48 AM
Michael White

So, there's something inherently different about the Defenders? Heavier?
Or ?

Thanks.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Old April 18th 05, 06:11 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"John Davies" > wrote in message
> Well, I don't like to even let my wife drive my truck, period.

lol.....understood!

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old April 18th 05, 08:55 AM
Dave Milne

The Defender is heavier, and has more substantial axles and a much stronger
box section chassis, more akin to the Wagoneer in size.However, it still
has the same short wheel base as the Jeep, higher ground clearance and a
less powerful engine. It probably comes down to a less litigious attitude...

Old April 18th 05, 10:16 PM
Danny

Dave Milne wrote:
> The Defender is heavier, and has more substantial axles and a much stronger
> box section chassis, more akin to the Wagoneer in size.However, it still
> has the same short wheel base as the Jeep, higher ground clearance and a
> less powerful engine. It probably comes down to a less litigious attitude...

And my 1984 110V8 pulled my 2000kg trailer much better than the Jeep
can. OK, the Jeep can pull it fine, and with fairly effortless use of
power compared to the V8 landrover, but it still can't pull it in a
straight line .

110 = 1850kg approx. Jeep = 1500kg approx.

Mind you, the LR90 I used for a while also had no problems and it is
much nearer the Jeep's weight...

I have to say I miss my 110...

Now looking at a Toyota Hilux Surf...
and a Ford Explorer...
can't afford another 110...

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old June 7th 05, 07:56 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"John Davies" > wrote in message
> I think you made the prudent decision with surge brakes, in your
> situation.

because so many folks objected on using surge brakes over 5,000 pounds i
changed my order last minute and got the electric brakes. i looked at the
jordan controller but ended up getting a prodigy. if they ever catch up on
production i plan on getting a brake smart system (http://brakesmart.net)
because it seems almost to good to be true. they currently have an 8 week
wait and i couldnt wait that long. i may go ahead and order one now and
just wait on it.

btw, the jeep fits! http://utilityoffroad.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4364

--
Nathan W. Collier