1980 Jeep CJ-5 / Electrical questions

Old March 15th 09, 11:41 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_3_]

Default 1980 Jeep CJ-5 / Electrical questions

I have a 1980 Jeep CJ-5. I recently learned that my cigarette
lighter is not working. It is not getting voltage.

In the same week, I found that my interior lights (underneath the dash) do
not work. I replaced the bulbs, just to make sure. These are the lights
that turn on when you twist the headlight knob fully counter clockwise.

I have done a "visual" of all fuses. According to my manual, one ten amp
fuse powers the radio and the cigarette lighter. The radio works, and the
fuse is good.

I cannot figure out which fuse controls the interior lights. Also, I
cannot figure out where the cigarette lighter gets its power. Does it get
power from the fuse panel underneath the dash ?

Can these two problems be related ?

Any ideas on figuring out how to get power to my cigarette lighter, and get
the interior lights to burn ?

Thanks for any tips ~~ !!

James

Old March 15th 09, 11:55 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_30_]

Fuses can pass a visual inspection and still not pass current, for a number
of reasons. For example the contacts on the end could be corroded. The
wire to the cigarette lighter could be cut or corroded. The cigarette
lighter could be damaged. If someone actually used it to light cigarettes
this is quite common. The interior light problem could be the light switch.
I would tend to believe what your manual says, but just from guessing I
would think that a cigarette lighter took twenty amps. Could be wrong
there. I would start by physically tracing the cigarette lighter feed back
to a live terminal. If it goes into a taped harness you could maybe note
the color and diameter and figure from that where it came out.

The thing I hate about this type of problem is having to lie one my back
looking up at the underside of the dash. I hate that.

Earle

Old March 16th 09, 12:24 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_3_]

I totally agree Earle, and at my age , it is getting harder and harder for
me to do !!

I have tried to trace the cigarette wire back to a point of power source,
but after I bend my neck for just a few minutes, I have to give up.

James

Old March 16th 09, 11:37 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain[_4_]

I would recommend the Haynes CJ manual, it has really good schematics in it.

Most CJ's didn't come with lighters, they are added on. If the lighter
is actually working, then it could have been spliced into the under dash
lights that are constant power. (the switch just grounds the light
circuit to turn them on)

There are also two fuses for the dash lights, one is for the dimmer
alone I think. I don't have access to my Haynes right now so I can't
tell you exactly which fuse to go after.

Most plastic fuses have their legs poking through their top these days
so you can put a multi meter set on volts on the top side of the fuse
legs looking for voltage. If you find voltage across the top it is a
blown fuse. A good fuse passes current so the meter reads 0.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old March 16th 09, 12:03 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_3_]

Thanks Mike !!

James

Old March 16th 09, 04:20 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_3_]

"James" <no > wrote in message
> Thanks Mike !!
>
> James

I always thought the cigarette lighter went to a 15 amp fuse. Are you sure
it's a 10 amp?

Old March 17th 09, 01:49 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_3_]

I am sure this is what the manual shows. It shows the radio and the cig
lighter on the same, ten amp fuse. And, the radio is working !!

James

Old March 17th 09, 11:07 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain[_4_]

You are a very trusting person thinking a 1980 Jeep would still have
stock wiring or that a 1980 Jeep even came with a cigarette lighter.

Lighter elements are really cheap and blow out all the time, have you
tested it?

Mike

Old March 17th 09, 11:21 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_3_]

Mike, I am the original owner, and the cig. lighter did come with the
vehicle. I have tested the leads behind the lighter, and it is not
getting power.

James