Current Leak in 1993 Corrado

Old July 8th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Current Leak in 1993 Corrado

The battery goes dead if the car is not used for two or three days.

I have replaced the battery and the fuse box with new units.

An ammeter in series with the positive lead to the battery shows a small
current draw with the ignition key turned off and removed. The draw does
not go away if all of the fuses and relays are removed from the fuse box.

The alternator checks good.

Any suggestions?
Old July 10th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Want to buy a Solar battery maintenance panel from VW? <g>

2-3 days is too short a time.
I found a problem like that on an Audi and it was defective wiring to the
vanity mirror lighting.
One on a '97 Passat that was a right front door handle
One on my Jeeps where the wiring was crossed on the alternator and the
alternator was bad.

Maybe a defective headlight switch.

Keep searching and you will find the problem and you don't have to
disconnect the battery every night. ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 11th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I have one of those VW solar panels. I bought it at a hamfest for 5
bucks. (I knew I'd find a use for it some day).

But with this draw, I hope the sun shines at midnight.

My mechanic did the following:

1. First replaced the battery since it was 8 years old.

2. Put an ammeter between the positive battery post and the clamp with
the wires that went to that post.

3. He pulled every fuse and relay and looked for a drop in the leakage
current.

4. When he didn't detect any change; he assumed the problem had to be at
the fuse panel itself due to resistance tracking.

5. So I found a brand new fuse panel (for a 93 Corrado---I'm proud of
that ) He replaced the panel. No difference.

6. He disconnected the security system which cut the leakage by 3/4.

7. He ran some test on the alternator and said it was okay.

So I'm about to repeat his tracing myself. Maybe he missed something?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Old July 11th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

wrote:

>> >The battery goes dead if the car is not used for two or three days.
>> >
>> >I have replaced the battery and the fuse box with new units.
>> >
>> >An ammeter in series with the positive lead to the battery shows a small
>> >current draw

>> Define, exactly what this 'small' current draw is, in milliamps.

>With the security system disconnected it is 0.25 Amp.

Way too much. General 40 to 50 MA (that's 0.04 to 0.05) is considered
the limit. Yea, 0.25 will run down the battery. There is a parasitic
draw somewhere.

I'd start by keeping the meter attached, and start pulling fuses. You
will have to work on the dome light to keep it off, for those fuses
that are only accessible with the door open (I'm not sure about your
vehicle). I'm sure you will find something aftermarket added (audio
system, GPS, whatever) that is drawing the current.

Old July 11th 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

disconnect all plugs at the fusebox and then reconnect one at a time
watching that meter.
there should be some inductive meters that you hold close to a wire to find
a draw.

Is this a VR6 engine?
fuse & relay for Secondary Air Pump is in the engine compartment if so
equipped.
Secondary Water Pump is in the engine compartment if so equipped.
Is there a fan module in the engine compartment too?
Any corroded wiring under a leaking battery?

Narrowing down the possibilities is the only way IMO.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)