"Lights on" chime not working (97 TJ - doors ON)

Old May 23rd 05, 02:37 PM
HG97TJ

Default "Lights on" chime not working (97 TJ - doors ON)

I see there are quite a few posts on this topic but I'm not able to
find the answer to the problem. The "lights on" chime when the engine
is turned off is not working on my 97 TJ. I searched older posts and
realize that the #4 fuse behind the glove box needs to be in for this
chime to work (along with the "keys in" buzzer and the door switch that
controls the interior lights, which are also not working). Assuming
the #4 fuse was blown I replaced it and still no luck. I drive with
the doors on (so far) and frequently forget to turn the lights out.

Also, based on some of the scratches on the doors I'm guessing the
previous owner removed the doors frequently. Is it possible ALL of
these features were disabled another way other than pulling the #4
fuse?

Any troubleshooting suggestions appreciated.

Howie
97 TJ Sport

Old May 23rd 05, 03:01 PM
Mike Romain

LOL!

'Pull' the fuse out...

You put the fuse 'in' to defeat the door switch and chime.
;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 23rd 05, 03:52 PM
IsellJeeps

the fuse must be IN for chime to work LOL MIKE was wrong... make sure the
door pins are in place... the previous owner could have unplugged them and
taken them out...

ups.com...

Old May 23rd 05, 04:44 PM
Mike Romain

Hmmm, I thought you 'added' the fuse to #4 or the auto tranny slot to
defeat the neutral switch and door lights. One of Bill 'dyslexic'
moments maybe.. ;-)

Well, wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken...

If so, then I have seen a few folks post about removing the chime itself
off the dash circuit board as well as messing with the door switches.

Mike

Old May 23rd 05, 04:59 PM
Jerry Bransford

Pulling the fuse is what defeats the door switches so the interior
lights don't stay on when the doors are off.

Mike Romain wrote:
> Hmmm, I thought you 'added' the fuse to #4 or the auto tranny slot to
> defeat the neutral switch and door lights. One of Bill 'dyslexic'
> moments maybe.. ;-)
>
> Well, wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken...
>
> If so, then I have seen a few folks post about removing the chime itself
> off the dash circuit board as well as messing with the door switches.
>
> Mike
>
> IsellJeeps wrote:
>
>>the fuse must be IN for chime to work LOL MIKE was wrong... make sure the
>>door pins are in place... the previous owner could have unplugged them and
>>taken them out...

roups.com...

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old May 23rd 05, 05:18 PM
IsellJeeps

you do ADD for tranny...that is correct... but remove for lights

Old May 23rd 05, 05:48 PM
Jeff Strickland

"HG97TJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I see there are quite a few posts on this topic but I'm not able to
> find the answer to the problem. The "lights on" chime when the engine
> is turned off is not working on my 97 TJ. I searched older posts and
> realize that the #4 fuse behind the glove box needs to be in for this
> chime to work (along with the "keys in" buzzer and the door switch that
> controls the interior lights, which are also not working). Assuming
> the #4 fuse was blown I replaced it and still no luck. I drive with
> the doors on (so far) and frequently forget to turn the lights out.
>
> Also, based on some of the scratches on the doors I'm guessing the
> previous owner removed the doors frequently. Is it possible ALL of
> these features were disabled another way other than pulling the #4
> fuse?

Yes.

Have you looked at the Door Switch to see if somebody unplugged it?

Old May 23rd 05, 05:50 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> LOL!
>
> 'Pull' the fuse out...
>
> You put the fuse 'in' to defeat the door switch and chime.
> ;-)
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

That's backwards Mike. Pull the fuse to defeat the circuit, insert the fuse
to enable it.

My guess is that the PO unplugged the door switch once, and never plugged it
back in again.

Old May 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
Mike Romain

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > LOL!
> >
> > 'Pull' the fuse out...
> >
> > You put the fuse 'in' to defeat the door switch and chime.
> > ;-)
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >

> That's backwards Mike. Pull the fuse to defeat the circuit, insert the fuse
> to enable it.
>
> My guess is that the PO unplugged the door switch once, and never plugged it
> back in again.

I was thinking tranny, you add a fuse into the auto slot to defeat the
neutral switch.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 23rd 05, 06:18 PM
Mike Romain

Ok, that is opposite, I was thinking tranny fuse to defeat the neutral
switch.

Mike