Who decides dealer inventory?

Old October 3rd 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
semi-ambivalent

Default Who decides dealer inventory?

I don't want to over-simplify this but I've been looking for a manual
transmission jetta SE along the Front Range of Colorado and they are
just not to be found. All I see are TDIs and/or automatics.
Overwhelmingly with black interiors and usually black exteriors.
Monotonous. And boring.

Are these dealers suffering from group think, or is VW trying to ram
TDIs down people's throats? And what's with all the black? If I wanted
people to think I was a playa do you think I'd be buying a VW? Maybe
just really bad buying decisions by the dealerships? How is the mix
decided upon?

Exhausted, and I haven't even talked to a dealer,

sa
Old October 3rd 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Noplacia[_2_]

If you're buying a new car you can order a model at the dealership
with your specifications. You're not limited to stock on hand. You
just have to wait for your car to arrive. A bonus if that often your
car arrives fresh with the plastic still on it and no one has test
driven it. If you're looking for a used model you will probably have
one shipped. Sometimes used car dealerships will search for the model
you want through their connections or at auctions. Don't give up!
Old October 3rd 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

Noplacia wrote:
> If you're buying a new car you can order a model at the dealership
> with your specifications. You're not limited to stock on hand. You
> just have to wait for your car to arrive. A bonus if that often your
> car arrives fresh with the plastic still on it and no one has test
> driven it. If you're looking for a used model you will probably have
> one shipped. Sometimes used car dealerships will search for the model
> you want through their connections or at auctions. Don't give up!

I ordered my new VW through a dealership. They originally said it was
still on the boat to another dealership and they could have my car
re-routed to the dealership I bought it from. However, they couldn't
get it re-routed, so when I went in to pick it up, it had 177 miles on
it already because someone had driven it from the other dealership. :/
Old October 4th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

semi-ambivalent wrote:
> I don't want to over-simplify this but I've been looking for a manual
> transmission jetta SE along the Front Range of Colorado and they are
> just not to be found. All I see are TDIs and/or automatics.
> Overwhelmingly with black interiors and usually black exteriors.
> Monotonous. And boring.
>
> Are these dealers suffering from group think, or is VW trying to ram
> TDIs down people's throats? And what's with all the black? If I wanted
> people to think I was a playa do you think I'd be buying a VW? Maybe
> just really bad buying decisions by the dealerships? How is the mix
> decided upon?
>
> Exhausted, and I haven't even talked to a dealer,
>
> sa

What Noplacia said is true - You should be able to order a VW with the
options you want from a local dealership, and you'd just have to wait
for it to arrive. I did that when I bought my 2009 VW Rabbit.

However, I did notice that some of the options seem to be limited. I
wanted a 4-door Rabbit, and the automatic transmission was the only
transmission offered in the 4-door model. I don't quite understand that
decision, but that seems to be the way it's going.

The automatic transmission is nice though. It has 1 more gear than the
manual (6 vs. 5), so that's something to think about. It also has a
mode that lets you manually upshift and downshift.

Eric
Old October 4th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
semi-ambivalent

On Oct 3, 5:02*pm, "Eric O." > wrote:
> semi-ambivalent wrote:
> > I don't want to over-simplify this but I've been looking for a manual
> > transmission jetta SE along the Front Range of Colorado and they are
> > just not to be found. All I see are TDIs and/or automatics.
> > Overwhelmingly with black interiors and usually black exteriors.
> > Monotonous. And boring.

> > Are these dealers suffering from group think, or is VW trying to ram
> > TDIs down people's throats? And what's with all the black? If I wanted
> > people to think I was a playa do you think I'd be buying a VW? Maybe
> > just really bad buying decisions by the dealerships? How is the mix
> > decided upon?

> > Exhausted, and I haven't even talked to a dealer,

> > sa

> What Noplacia said is true - You should be able to order a VW with the
> options you want from a local dealership, and you'd just have to wait
> for it to arrive. *I did that when I bought my 2009 VW Rabbit.
>
> However, I did notice that some of the options seem to be limited. *I
> wanted a 4-door Rabbit, and the automatic transmission was the only
> transmission offered in the 4-door model. *I don't quite understand that
> decision, but that seems to be the way it's going.
>
> The automatic transmission is nice though. *It has 1 more gear than the
> manual (6 vs. 5), so that's something to think about. *It also has a
> mode that lets you manually upshift and downshift.
>
> Eric

Thanks to both of you for the information! We went to a local
dealership and they were happy to do just that. I guess at some level
I think that by being willing to order a car and wait I would appear
too determined to have a VW, and therefore would lose a little power
once the money haggling started. Because the lot had a lot of TDIs I
was under the impression they weren't moving, and they might not be,
but they all also have a dealer applied sticker stating a $5k premium
over the MSR. (Whoa! Is this a Prius? This doesn't look like a
Prius...) But the salesperson, upon my mentioning the sticker,
immediately said '5k? That should say fifteen hundred.' So they're
willing to deal (If you can ever accurately use that word in the
purchase of a car), and that's nice.

As an aside, we test drove a Jetta and a Sportswagen and the ride was
wonderful in both. Like our beloved '88 GL was; much stiffer than our
'96 GL, which we both think is too mushy and sedan-ny. One of those
nice surprises you get when you miss out on 14 years of technology
advances. The Jetta was a TDI and performed very well but I didn't
like the accelerator lag. The interior colors in pleather are down to
black and tan. A pity, I really liked the dark gray.

So the dealership is looking to see if we can be trusted to pay our
debts whereupon we'll start talking money-the part I hate.

Thanks again,

sa