Passat "Check Engine" light on

Old October 20th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Batvanio

Default Passat "Check Engine" light on

I haven't driven my 2004 Passat (4 -cylinder 1.8 turbo engine) for
about a week, and today when I started it, the Check Engine
(Malfunction Indicato) came on and after a few seconds the engine
started shaking. The light flashes for about a minute or so, and then
stays on. The car can still be driven but has no power (feels like it
runs or 3 cylinders). Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
Old October 20th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

Batvanio wrote:
> I haven't driven my 2004 Passat (4 -cylinder 1.8 turbo engine) for
> about a week, and today when I started it, the Check Engine
> (Malfunction Indicato) came on and after a few seconds the engine
> started shaking. The light flashes for about a minute or so, and then
> stays on. The car can still be driven but has no power (feels like it
> runs or 3 cylinders). Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

I don't know too much about working on cars, so my guesses may or may
not be accurate to what's going on. Perhaps the turbocharger is
malfunctioning. Perhaps The spark plugs could need replacement.. There
are probably other things that I'm not thinking of.

I've found that it's very handy to have an OBD2 (On-Board Diagnostics
version 2) code reader. When your car's "check engine" light comes on,
you can plug the OBD2 code reader into your car's OBD2 port (on the
driver's side, usually beneath the steering wheel on the left) and have
the code reader read error codes from your car's computer. You can then
look up those error codes online to see what they mean, at a site such
as this:
http://www.obd-codes.com
Often, the error codes will just report a symptom (for example, fuel
mixture too lean), but that can at least point you in the right
direction for getting your car fixed.

OBD2 code readers are relatively cheap (hand-held ones usually cost up
to $40 or $50). For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...63512&sr= 8-1

Eric
Old October 20th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

These engines are troubled with bad ignition coils (coils on plug). They
used to be covered by warranty.
Check trouble codes or check igntion coils.

SFC

"Batvanio" > schreef in bericht

Old October 21st 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Check out the DTCs before you "ASSuME" that the coils are bad!!!
I would think it is the beginning of the end for the coils too! ;-)
Dealer will sell you some new coils at reasonable prices, so check with them
before you purchase aftermarket coils.

I had to replace some coils on a 2004 Passat 1.8t. First one went, then
another one within thirty days, so the other 3 got changed then.

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old October 21st 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

Also there is ANOTHER coil recall coming out.

Old October 21st 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

LG wrote:
> Also there is ANOTHER coil recall coming out.

Do you know which models this recall is for?
Old October 21st 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

Pretty much all 2001-2007 MY Volkswagen Gasoline Engine Vehicles with
Ignition Coils

Old October 21st 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In "LG" > wrote:

> Pretty much all 2001-2007 MY Volkswagen Gasoline Engine Vehicles with
> Ignition Coils

Since the cars made after 2002 supposedly had the same "improved"
ignition coils that went into the cars subject to the 2003 recall, would
that mean that those cars get their coils replaced again?