134a Refrigerant

Old June 5th 05, 04:20 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Robb S via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> actually, Now that I think about it, it is for a 30LB bottle.

now thats a little better. i think i paid around $600 for the last 30 pound
tank i bought. if you were paying $900 per pound i could only wonder how i
could get in on it. :-)

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old June 5th 05, 04:25 AM
Chuck

Shoot a little propane in the system and enjoy -

Old June 5th 05, 04:42 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No thanks, I've heard the rumor of what happens when you haven't
vacuumed the twelve out and go ahead and fill it with 134.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 5th 05, 07:41 AM
JohnM

Chuck wrote:
> Shoot a little propane in the system and enjoy -

It's not perfect but it'll work. IIRC, the oil in a R12 system is
correct for propane too.. It's been a while since I looked into it.. Oh,
I remember, I think- the vapor pressure is too high, adding 30%
isobutane brings it right into line. I've heard that isobutane can be
found as high-altitude campstove gas.

If you were to do it, which I believe is a federal crime, I think it
would be better to use the small bottles for torches/lanterns as I don't
think they have the stinky chemical in them.. that will contaminate the
oil and shorten the life of the system.

Propane is a direct replacement for R22- virtually identical pressure
curves and, again, the oil is compatible.

Anhydrous ammonia is another candidate. I am unaware of legal
complications with anhydrous, as with all things bragging without proper
learning is contraindicated.
Old June 5th 05, 07:44 AM
JohnM

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I hadn't heard that there was any problem with making R134, and I am
> surprised that anybody is reporting trouble finding it.
>
> And, I agree, going back to R12 isn't gonna happen. It's very expensive,
> and there are seriouis compatibility issues that add to the cost. I
> think one is going to spend the summer with the windows rolled down
> before one goes back to R12.

R12 is cheaper to produce than 134. It's pretty non-toxic too, which
can't be said for 134. Political creatures have made 12 expensive.

John
Old June 5th 05, 09:00 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Shoot a little propane in the system and enjoy -

i ran propane in my camaro a/c system all through my late teens. now that
im older and wiser id never recommend it, but it does make for one hell of a
cheap refrigerant.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old June 5th 05, 02:29 PM
Jeff Strickland

"JohnM" > wrote in message
m...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I hadn't heard that there was any problem with making R134, and I am
>> surprised that anybody is reporting trouble finding it.
>>
>> And, I agree, going back to R12 isn't gonna happen. It's very expensive,
>> and there are seriouis compatibility issues that add to the cost. I think
>> one is going to spend the summer with the windows rolled down before one
>> goes back to R12.

> R12 is cheaper to produce than 134. It's pretty non-toxic too, which can't
> be said for 134. Political creatures have made 12 expensive.

It doesn't matter that it is cheaper to make, it is essentially illegal to
use in the USA. R12 eats the ozone layer, or whatever, and is a banned
substance. It also does not play well with others in the neighborhood, R134
for example. If your system is designed to run on R134, it won't work right
on R12 anyway, and if you want to convert your factory R12 system back to
R12 after retrofitting it to R134, then it will be costly. You can't buy R12
on the open market, so you'll have to find a crook that will sell it to you,
or pay to evacuate your system and refill it. You are not going to top off a
low R134 system with R12, if for no other reason than the fittings are
different sizes.

Old June 5th 05, 03:30 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Don't forget that the single biggest source of atmospheric fluorocarbons are
volcanoes.

Old June 5th 05, 03:47 PM
Dave Milne

I'm sure volcanoes will feel responsible and penitent if we start
starving...
It's like throwing litter - just because a place is untidy, that doesn't
give us an excuse to make it worse. It's part of treading lightly in my
book.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

news

Old June 5th 05, 03:58 PM
Snow

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=46094

Snow... check out the shipping company...