preheater troubles

Old November 30th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
davygrvy

Default preheater troubles

On Nov 29, 2:53*pm, "John" > wrote:
> I recently retired from medical electronics section in a hospital. I used to
> have dozens of *Heaters cables for Fisher and Paykel Humidfiers lying
> around. These were essentially about 2 metres of heater cable that laid
> inside in ventilator tubing to stop condensation. They were rated ~ 15 watts
> and could run off 12 volts. ( I had a mate with a motorcycle who sewed a few
> into his bike jacket and he ran that off bike= heated jacket!). I was
> thinking wrap one or two of those around pipe below carby. Got any contacts
> in the Biomedical section at your local hospitals? *Generally the assemblies
> failed at the plug end and heater itself was totally intact.

Yeah, I'm thinking something similar..
http://www.heatingtapes.com/Duo_All.pdf
Old November 30th 11, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Induction heating doesn't work on aluminum does it?

Old November 30th 11, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 11/29/2011 08:55 PM, David Gravereaux wrote:
> Induction heating doesn't work on aluminum does it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7DBS2Is0ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Zrnv4OtbU

yup, works. I won't have to come at all near melting, but proves the
point (to me).

Old November 30th 11, 09:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 30/11/11 05:04, David Gravereaux wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 08:55 PM, David Gravereaux wrote:
>> Induction heating doesn't work on aluminum does it?
>>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7DBS2Is0ws
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Zrnv4OtbU
>
> yup, works. I won't have to come at all near melting, but proves the
> point (to me).

or ... twin carbs would sort it

Old November 30th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
davygrvy

On Nov 30, 12:10*am, tricky > wrote:

> or ... twin carbs would sort it

well agreed on that one Yes, runner length is the issue. Not
going there soon. But when I do, it'll be a redline K1411, but with
manual choke carbs. About $560 from my local vdub guy.
Old November 30th 11, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
BergRace

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:16:56 +0100, davygrvy > wrote:

> On Nov 30, 12:10 am, tricky > wrote:
>
>> or ... twin carbs would sort it

> well agreed on that one Yes, runner length is the issue. Not
> going there soon. But when I do, it'll be a redline K1411, but with
> manual choke carbs. About $560 from my local vdub guy.

Here you go:
http://www.paruzzi.com/webstore/?kla...trefwoord=2139

J.

--
P.J.Berg

Old December 1st 11, 09:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 11/30/2011 01:33 PM, BergRace wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:16:56 +0100, davygrvy > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 30, 12:10 am, tricky > wrote:
>>
>>> or ... twin carbs would sort it

>> well agreed on that one Yes, runner length is the issue. Not
>> going there soon. But when I do, it'll be a redline K1411, but with
>> manual choke carbs. About $560 from my local vdub guy.

> Here you go:
> http://www.paruzzi.com/webstore/?kla...trefwoord=2139

Reviews of the IMDU state it being more novelty than useful, but thanks
for finding someone that still carries one from old stock.

Old December 1st 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
David Gravereaux > wrote:

> On 11/30/2011 01:33 PM, BergRace wrote:

> > Here you go:
> > http://www.paruzzi.com/webstore/?kla...trefwoord=2139

> Reviews of the IMDU state it being more novelty than useful, but thanks
> for finding someone that still carries one from old stock.

They are very useful here in Minnesnowta to heat, ah, private parts at
-30F when one has to pee.
Old December 1st 11, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 12/01/2011 08:44 AM, John J Stafford wrote:
> In article >,
> David Gravereaux > wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2011 01:33 PM, BergRace wrote:

>>> Here you go:
>>> http://www.paruzzi.com/webstore/?kla...trefwoord=2139

>> Reviews of the IMDU state it being more novelty than useful, but thanks
>> for finding someone that still carries one from old stock.

> They are very useful here in Minnesnowta to heat, ah, private parts at
> -30F when one has to pee.

What would be even nicer if instead of its measly output of 10 watts of
heat, it made 75 watts and was temperature controlled to shut off above
45 degrees

Old December 5th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
davygrvy

Why any heater wire at all? What if I could just bolt a 15 amp
(TO-3P) transistor right to the manifold itself and cook the metal
directly? Hopefully there's enough material to grind a flat. Using a
PNP transistor, collector is at ground potential so no need for any
mica insulation.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

Alternator troubles... Psycho BMW 9 February 3rd 07 04:53 PM
94 S-10 troubles kyshorty_7 Technology 1 October 15th 06 08:12 AM
Engine troubles lanky Alfa Romeo 7 November 21st 05 04:31 PM
trans troubles kpt 4x4 1 September 25th 05 11:44 PM
Preheater box (pipe) azazel scratch VW air cooled 2 January 22nd 05 02:54 AM