Ball Joint Q.

Old February 9th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

Default Ball Joint Q.

How difficult is it to press out/in ball joints ? '71 Ghia.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old February 9th 12, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Feb 9, 10:04*am, "Mr. K" > wrote:
> How difficult is it to press out/in ball joints ? '71 Ghia.
> --
> Karma, What a concept!

I haven’t done it but you would need to take out the front beam
trailing arms and take them to an auto shop and have the new ball
joints pressed in or you could buy new trailing arms with the ball
joints already installed and do it yourself.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Trailin...1-405-103a.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Trailin...1-405-104a.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Trailin...1-405-152a.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Trailin...1-405-151a.htm

You would also need new seals.
Old February 10th 12, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 2/9/2012 2:27 PM, Jim Ed wrote:
> On Feb 9, 10:04 am, "Mr. > wrote:
>> How difficult is it to press out/in ball joints ? '71 Ghia.
>> --
>> Karma, What a concept!

> I haven’t done it but you would need to take out the front beam
> trailing arms and take them to an auto shop and have the new ball
> joints pressed in or you could buy new trailing arms with the ball
> joints already installed and do it yourself.

What Jim said.

Sometimes they sit VERY tight in there, a small press won't do it.
When pressing the new ball joints in, make sure they go in indexed
properly. The BJ cup is marked, and there is a faint little line marked
on the arm, those marks need to line up. Under the rubber boot, the BJ
stub sits in an elongated slot, it can only move full swing in one
direction. If you press them in wrong, you may not have ANY movement or
very little, when the suspension tries to move up and down. Then the BJ
will likely break or the suspension just won't work at all.

Just about ALL OTHER car ball joints have unobstructed 360 degree full
swing range. Just not aircooled VW for some reason. I suppose it makes
it last longer when there is more support for the ball/socket contact.

I would look for arms that are already done, like Jim said. Maybe give
your old arms as cores and get a core deposit back. That's what I did
with a local aircooled VW shop before.

Jan
Old February 10th 12, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> On 2/9/2012 2:27 PM, Jim Ed wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 10:04 am, "Mr. > wrote:
>>> How difficult is it to press out/in ball joints ? '71 Ghia.
>>> --
>>> Karma, What a concept!

>> I haven’t done it but you would need to take out the front beam
>> trailing arms and take them to an auto shop and have the new ball
>> joints pressed in or you could buy new trailing arms with the ball
>> joints already installed and do it yourself.

> What Jim said.
>
> Sometimes they sit VERY tight in there, a small press won't do it.
> When pressing the new ball joints in, make sure they go in indexed
> properly. The BJ cup is marked, and there is a faint little line marked on
> the arm, those marks need to line up. Under the rubber boot, the BJ stub
> sits in an elongated slot, it can only move full swing in one direction.
> If you press them in wrong, you may not have ANY movement or very little,
> when the suspension tries to move up and down. Then the BJ will likely
> break or the suspension just won't work at all.
>
> Just about ALL OTHER car ball joints have unobstructed 360 degree full
> swing range. Just not aircooled VW for some reason. I suppose it makes it
> last longer when there is more support for the ball/socket contact.
>
> I would look for arms that are already done, like Jim said. Maybe give
> your old arms as cores and get a core deposit back. That's what I did with
> a local aircooled VW shop before.
>
> Jan

That was a heluva piece of information. Thanks,

Diesel

Old February 12th 12, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

In article >,
"DogDiesel" > wrote:

> "Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I haven’t done it but you would need to take out the front beam
> >> trailing arms and take them to an auto shop and have the new ball
> >> joints pressed in or you could buy new trailing arms with the ball
> >> joints already installed and do it yourself.

> > What Jim said.
> >
> > Sometimes they sit VERY tight in there, a small press won't do it.
> > When pressing the new ball joints in, make sure they go in indexed
> > properly. The BJ cup is marked, and there is a faint little line marked on
> > the arm, those marks need to line up. Under the rubber boot, the BJ stub
> > sits in an elongated slot, it can only move full swing in one direction.
> > If you press them in wrong, you may not have ANY movement or very little,
> > when the suspension tries to move up and down. Then the BJ will likely
> > break or the suspension just won't work at all.
> >
> > Just about ALL OTHER car ball joints have unobstructed 360 degree full
> > swing range. Just not aircooled VW for some reason. I suppose it makes it
> > last longer when there is more support for the ball/socket contact.
> >
> > I would look for arms that are already done, like Jim said. Maybe give
> > your old arms as cores and get a core deposit back. That's what I did with
> > a local aircooled VW shop before.
> >
> > Jan

> That was a heluva piece of information. Thanks,
>
> Diesel

Yes, thanks.
--
Karma, What a concept!

97 xj Ball Joint MJG Jeep 6 March 29th 06 01:49 AM
Ball joint questions larry moe 'n curly Technology 5 February 11th 05 09:48 PM
how to replace a ball joint mike113 Chrysler 2 February 11th 05 01:00 AM
Ball Joint on Ion teem Saturn 0 June 25th 04 01:31 AM