Air vs coil

Old March 8th 12, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
euroteam1

Default Air vs coil

I am a retired Pastor trying something new. I just acquired a V W
Beetle/dune buggy. Apparently the kids who tried to build it couldn't
figure out how to raise the body of the dune buggy up from the V W
chassis to fit the 20" spoke rims. They put 2 pieces of HY 80 angle
iron in to replace the shocks. This clearly won't due. I am a little
mechanical, but I am new to this type of vehicle so I could use all
the help anyone can give me. I need to raise it up enough to ride
comfortably on the 20's but standard V W shocks wont raise it high
enough to clear the wheels, and if I'm not mistaken shocks are not for
lifting they are just for stabilize and absorbing shock. how do I do
what i need to do with out breaking my limited bank?
Old March 8th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim N

On Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:06:24 AM UTC-5, euroteam1 wrote:
> I am a retired Pastor trying something new. I just acquired a V W
> Beetle/dune buggy. Apparently the kids who tried to build it couldn't
> figure out how to raise the body of the dune buggy up from the V W
> chassis to fit the 20" spoke rims. They put 2 pieces of HY 80 angle
> iron in to replace the shocks. This clearly won't due. I am a little
> mechanical, but I am new to this type of vehicle so I could use all
> the help anyone can give me. I need to raise it up enough to ride
> comfortably on the 20's but standard V W shocks wont raise it high
> enough to clear the wheels, and if I'm not mistaken shocks are not for
> lifting they are just for stabilize and absorbing shock. how do I do
> what i need to do with out breaking my limited bank?

On Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:06:24 AM UTC-5, euroteam1 wrote:
> I am a retired Pastor trying something new. I just acquired a V W
> Beetle/dune buggy. Apparently the kids who tried to build it couldn't
> figure out how to raise the body of the dune buggy up from the V W
> chassis to fit the 20" spoke rims. They put 2 pieces of HY 80 angle
> iron in to replace the shocks. This clearly won't due. I am a little
> mechanical, but I am new to this type of vehicle so I could use all
> the help anyone can give me. I need to raise it up enough to ride
> comfortably on the 20's but standard V W shocks wont raise it high
> enough to clear the wheels, and if I'm not mistaken shocks are not for
> lifting they are just for stabilize and absorbing shock. how do I do
> what i need to do with out breaking my limited bank?

You could try a lift kit for the body like this. Jim

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2834940121.html
Old March 8th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:31:54 +0100, Jim N > wrote:

> On Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:06:24 AM UTC-5, euroteam1 wrote:
>> I am a retired Pastor trying something new. I just acquired a V W
>> Beetle/dune buggy. Apparently the kids who tried to build it couldn't
>> figure out how to raise the body of the dune buggy up from the V W
>> chassis to fit the 20" spoke rims. They put 2 pieces of HY 80 angle
>> iron in to replace the shocks. This clearly won't due. I am a little
>> mechanical, but I am new to this type of vehicle so I could use all
>> the help anyone can give me. I need to raise it up enough to ride
>> comfortably on the 20's but standard V W shocks wont raise it high
>> enough to clear the wheels, and if I'm not mistaken shocks are not for
>> lifting they are just for stabilize and absorbing shock. how do I do
>> what i need to do with out breaking my limited bank?

> On Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:06:24 AM UTC-5, euroteam1 wrote:
>> I am a retired Pastor trying something new. I just acquired a V W
>> Beetle/dune buggy. Apparently the kids who tried to build it couldn't
>> figure out how to raise the body of the dune buggy up from the V W
>> chassis to fit the 20" spoke rims. They put 2 pieces of HY 80 angle
>> iron in to replace the shocks. This clearly won't due. I am a little
>> mechanical, but I am new to this type of vehicle so I could use all
>> the help anyone can give me. I need to raise it up enough to ride
>> comfortably on the 20's but standard V W shocks wont raise it high
>> enough to clear the wheels, and if I'm not mistaken shocks are not for
>> lifting they are just for stabilize and absorbing shock. how do I do
>> what i need to do with out breaking my limited bank?

> You could try a lift kit for the body like this. Jim
>
> http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2834940121.html

I second that, the only proper way to lift the body whilst keeping the
stock suspension setup for a comfortable ride.
The only other cheap option is to fit 15" rims with suitable tires.

J.

Ignition Coil [email protected] BMW 7 February 2nd 07 10:48 AM
suspension coil magickarle Chrysler 0 September 8th 06 08:16 PM
WTB: Air bag coil spring for 2002 Saturn SC1 James and Jenn Saturn 0 March 15th 06 12:25 AM
Is my Coil Bad? Libby Chantel Technology 17 March 4th 05 01:48 AM
Ignition coil. Tony Wilkinson VW air cooled 2 October 30th 04 04:26 PM