Tig or Mig

Old November 20th 12, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Default Tig or Mig

What is best for replacing body panles?

ChrisKlinger
Old November 21st 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Gary Tateosian

On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:53:25 PM UTC-6, ChrisKlinger wrote:
> What is best for replacing body panles?
>

> ChrisKlinger

Whichever you are most skilled at using. John Kelly does amazing work with a torch.

TIG would likely be better between the two with equally competent operators.

MIG is easier to use.
Old November 21st 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

wrote:
>> What is best for replacing body panles?
>>

>> ChrisKlinger

> Whichever you are most skilled at using. John Kelly does

amazing work with
> a torch.
>
> TIG would likely be better between the two with equally

competent
> operators.
>
> MIG is easier to use.

thanks Gareth
Old November 21st 12, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

On 11/20/2012 7:11 PM, ChrisKlinger wrote:
> Gary Tateosian wrote:
>
>> On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:53:25 PM UTC-6, ChrisKlinger

> wrote:
>>> What is best for replacing body panles?
>>>

>>> ChrisKlinger

>> Whichever you are most skilled at using. John Kelly does

> amazing work with
>> a torch.
>>
>> TIG would likely be better between the two with equally

> competent
>> operators.
>>
>> MIG is easier to use.

> thanks Gareth

"Fig" would be great though.... just sit back and eat a Fig cookie ...
hiring the work to be done.
KWW

Old November 26th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 11/20/2012 8:11 PM, ChrisKlinger wrote:
> Gary Tateosian wrote:
>
>> On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:53:25 PM UTC-6, ChrisKlinger

> wrote:
>>> What is best for replacing body panles?
>>>

>>> ChrisKlinger

>> Whichever you are most skilled at using. John Kelly does

> amazing work with
>> a torch.
>>
>> TIG would likely be better between the two with equally

> competent
>> operators.
>>
>> MIG is easier to use.

> thanks Gareth

Since you have to ask.... I'd say MIG

I would say definitely MIG, it's cheaper and easier to learn, I think.
Then again I haven't owned a TIG yet, I see it as the tool of choice for
aluminum work, where MIG would fall flat on it's face even with a spool
gun, in comparison.

Jan
Old November 26th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Olli Lammi[_2_]

On 26.11.2012 05:51, Jan Andersson wrote:

> Since you have to ask.... I'd say MIG
>
> I would say definitely MIG, it's cheaper and easier to learn, I think.
> Then again I haven't owned a TIG yet, I see it as the tool of choice for
> aluminum work, where MIG would fall flat on it's face even with a spool
> gun, in comparison.

This said, having never welded any body panels using any method. My
welding experience is mostly welding 0.5 mm thick square pipes together
to form different kinds of household objects (to mount car tyres to
wall, store fire wood etc.). I have welded using both MIG and TIG.
Some of this might also sound obvious, but decided to write it anyway.

I would go MIG for that kind of work. A lot easier to tag pieces to
their assumed places first. A lot easier to weld in hard to access
places where you necessarily cannot see everything. Lot easier to weld
in short lenghts here and there to let things cool down and minimize
bending the objects.

You can make nicer weld with TIG and for example for pipe welding TIG
should be the tool. MIG weld usually needs more grinding and polishing,
if the object needs to look nice.

MIG is not handy, if you have different materials to weld. With TIG you
basically just change the filler material stick and you can weld
different stuff (aluminium, steel, stainless steel, ...). With MIG you
have to pull out the old wire, feed ahother reel and if I recall right,
the gas is also different for example for steel and stainless steel.
With TIG you can also weld without filler, just melt the two objects
together.

Someone with more skill with TIG might say, all can be done using it,
but in my experience, I would start with MIG.

MIG or TIG, I think most important is to practise, have a test piece of
similar material and thickness. Test and adjust the current and wire
feed (MIG) before starting the actual work.

My thoughts of it.

---
Olli
Old November 28th 12, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Olli Lammi wrote:

>> Since you have to ask.... I'd say MIG
>>
>> I would say definitely MIG, it's cheaper and easier to

learn, I think.
>> Then again I haven't owned a TIG yet, I see it as the tool

of choice for
>> aluminum work, where MIG would fall flat on it's face even

with a spool
>> gun, in comparison.

> This said, having never welded any body panels using any

method. My
> welding experience is mostly welding 0.5 mm thick square

pipes together
> to form different kinds of household objects (to mount car

tyres to
> wall, store fire wood etc.). I have welded using both MIG

and TIG.
> Some of this might also sound obvious, but decided to write

it anyway.

> I would go MIG for that kind of work. A lot easier to tag

pieces to
> their assumed places first. A lot easier to weld in hard to

access
> places where you necessarily cannot see everything. Lot

easier to weld
> in short lenghts here and there to let things cool down and

minimize
> bending the objects.
>
> You can make nicer weld with TIG and for example for pipe

welding TIG
> should be the tool. MIG weld usually needs more grinding and

polishing,
> if the object needs to look nice.
>
> MIG is not handy, if you have different materials to weld.

With TIG you
> basically just change the filler material stick and you can

weld
> different stuff (aluminium, steel, stainless steel, ...).

With MIG you
> have to pull out the old wire, feed ahother reel and if I

recall right,
> the gas is also different for example for steel and

stainless steel.
> With TIG you can also weld without filler, just melt the two

objects
> together.
>
> Someone with more skill with TIG might say, all can be done

using it,
> but in my experience, I would start with MIG.
>
> MIG or TIG, I think most important is to practise, have a

test piece of
> similar material and thickness. Test and adjust the current

and wire
> feed (MIG) before starting the actual work.
>
> My thoughts of it.
>
> ---
> Olli

Thank you all. I had many doubts after reading in different
locations, but your tips have pointed me firmly to mig.

I used to do great with oxy-acetylene and a henrob low-
pressure torch, but, even with care, some warping was
unavoidable.

Chris
Old December 30th 12, 11:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 28/11/12 00:44, ChrisKlinger wrote:
> Olli Lammi wrote:

>>> Since you have to ask.... I'd say MIG
>>>
>>> I would say definitely MIG, it's cheaper and easier to

> learn, I think.
>>> Then again I haven't owned a TIG yet, I see it as the tool

> of choice for
>>> aluminum work, where MIG would fall flat on it's face even

> with a spool
>>> gun, in comparison.

>> This said, having never welded any body panels using any

> method. My
>> welding experience is mostly welding 0.5 mm thick square

> pipes together
>> to form different kinds of household objects (to mount car

> tyres to
>> wall, store fire wood etc.). I have welded using both MIG

> and TIG.
>> Some of this might also sound obvious, but decided to write

> it anyway.
>>
>> I would go MIG for that kind of work. A lot easier to tag

> pieces to
>> their assumed places first. A lot easier to weld in hard to

> access
>> places where you necessarily cannot see everything. Lot

> easier to weld
>> in short lenghts here and there to let things cool down and

> minimize
>> bending the objects.
>>
>> You can make nicer weld with TIG and for example for pipe

> welding TIG
>> should be the tool. MIG weld usually needs more grinding and

> polishing,
>> if the object needs to look nice.
>>
>> MIG is not handy, if you have different materials to weld.

> With TIG you
>> basically just change the filler material stick and you can

> weld
>> different stuff (aluminium, steel, stainless steel, ...).

> With MIG you
>> have to pull out the old wire, feed ahother reel and if I

> recall right,
>> the gas is also different for example for steel and

> stainless steel.
>> With TIG you can also weld without filler, just melt the two

> objects
>> together.
>>
>> Someone with more skill with TIG might say, all can be done

> using it,
>> but in my experience, I would start with MIG.
>>
>> MIG or TIG, I think most important is to practise, have a

> test piece of
>> similar material and thickness. Test and adjust the current

> and wire
>> feed (MIG) before starting the actual work.
>>
>> My thoughts of it.
>>
>> ---
>> Olli

> Thank you all. I had many doubts after reading in different
> locations, but your tips have pointed me firmly to mig.
>
> I used to do great with oxy-acetylene and a henrob low-
> pressure torch, but, even with care, some warping was
> unavoidable.
>
> Chris

I bought a TIG set up to learn . I already use MIG.
I was learning quite well untill I ran out of gas (argon) and then found
out how much it is to replace :0
So , I use MIG all the time again now. As Olli said, TIG welds can be
real pretty !, but MIG needs dressing afterwards.

Also, something no one has mentioned, you can use MIG one handed, to get
in those hard to reach places. TIG, as in torch, you need two hands, and
the extra access for both.

Rich

thinking of getting a mig DougW[_2_] Jeep 1 February 1st 12 05:59 AM
TIG Welders [email protected] Technology 7 July 30th 07 09:41 PM
US Toll roads turn huge profits for MIG Brent P[_1_] Driving 1 February 23rd 07 10:11 PM
TIG Welding on a TJ Nick Jeep 24 February 2nd 07 12:31 AM
Grinder recommendations for sheet metal/MIG? Brian Technology 2 March 8th 05 12:16 AM