keys - waterproof ?

Old April 25th 13, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default keys - waterproof ?

Our son has kidnapped our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
to take on his whitewater kayaking trips...

In his web surfing, he found something that implied
that the keys with the RFID chips inside the molded plastic part
could be compromised by immersion in water...
This is just the KEY, not the remote key fob.

He wants to take the key with him, attached on his life vest.
It appears these 2001 vintage keys have a chip inside the molded plastic,
and the car needs to see it to start AND run... but no big deal for just the
door.

So - he had a plain key cut,
and says it's enough to open the car door,
and get the other key stashed inside.

Any info ??

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Old April 25th 13, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

ps56k wrote:
> Our son has kidnapped our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
> to take on his whitewater kayaking trips...
>
> In his web surfing, he found something that implied
> that the keys with the RFID chips inside the molded plastic part
> could be compromised by immersion in water...
> This is just the KEY, not the remote key fob.
>
> He wants to take the key with him, attached on his life vest.
> It appears these 2001 vintage keys have a chip inside the molded
> plastic, and the car needs to see it to start AND run... but no big
> deal for just the door.
>
> So - he had a plain key cut,
> and says it's enough to open the car door,
> and get the other key stashed inside.
>
> Any info ??

Kind of doubt that, but who knows and why not be safe. I use
a metal key for similar situations. Just tuck the alarm fob
inside and deal with the beeping while I dig out the hidden key.

You could put the key in a water tight container (along with
any other things he doesn't want to get wet).

http://bit.ly/10C2LLD or similar.
Whole lot of different types, I have one for ID/DL/Cards and one
tube for mostly cash when at the beach.

--
DougW

Old April 25th 13, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"DougW" > wrote in message ...
> ps56k wrote:
>> Our son has kidnapped our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
>> to take on his whitewater kayaking trips...
>>
>> In his web surfing, he found something that implied
>> that the keys with the RFID chips inside the molded plastic part
>> could be compromised by immersion in water...
>> This is just the KEY, not the remote key fob.
>>
>> He wants to take the key with him, attached on his life vest.
>> It appears these 2001 vintage keys have a chip inside the molded
>> plastic, and the car needs to see it to start AND run... but no big
>> deal for just the door.
>>
>> So - he had a plain key cut,
>> and says it's enough to open the car door,
>> and get the other key stashed inside.
>>
>> Any info ??

> Kind of doubt that, but who knows and why not be safe. I use
> a metal key for similar situations. Just tuck the alarm fob
> inside and deal with the beeping while I dig out the hidden key.
>
> You could put the key in a water tight container (along with
> any other things he doesn't want to get wet).
>
> http://bit.ly/10C2LLD or similar.
> Whole lot of different types, I have one for ID/DL/Cards and one
> tube for mostly cash when at the beach.
>
> --
> DougW

for any readers - here's just the KEY -
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...6L._SX300_.jpg

and yeah, he usually has some Pelican case for his stuff.