Renix E.F.I. tip

Old June 3rd 13, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default Renix E.F.I. tip

One difficulty Jeep owners have with the Renix Fuel Injection is setting the
TPS correctly.

I found myself needing to set my son's 88 XJ's TPS without a vehicle
battery.

The method I used was to take the throttle body off the engine and suppling
voltage from a couple "D" cells, then set the output voltage to 17 % of the
battery voltage checking the pins as described in my Chiltons or Haynes
manual with a DVOM. Then I re-installed the throttle body on the engine.This
was two weeks ago, btw.

We put a battery in the XJ yesterday and cranked her up.

Idle quickly settled in to a sweet 700 rpm initially and after the computer
finished it's initial learn cycle it dropped to 650 rpm.

I have found setting the percentage of the output voltage to be far more
accurate and easier than using the recommended voltage in the manual.

And being able to adjust it off engine makes it even better.

--
Budd

Old June 4th 13, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Budd Cochran wrote:
> One difficulty Jeep owners have with the Renix Fuel Injection is
> setting the TPS correctly.
>
> I found myself needing to set my son's 88 XJ's TPS without a vehicle
> battery.
>
> The method I used was to take the throttle body off the engine and
> suppling voltage from a couple "D" cells, then set the output voltage
> to 17 % of the battery voltage checking the pins as described in my
> Chiltons or Haynes manual with a DVOM. Then I re-installed the
> throttle body on the engine.This was two weeks ago, btw.
>
> We put a battery in the XJ yesterday and cranked her up.
>
> Idle quickly settled in to a sweet 700 rpm initially and after the
> computer finished it's initial learn cycle it dropped to 650 rpm.
>
> I have found setting the percentage of the output voltage to be far
> more accurate and easier than using the recommended voltage in the
> manual.
> And being able to adjust it off engine makes it even better.

Yep, good tip!

The 93ZJ only has two bolts, no real adjustment.
I did find that minor adjustment of the throttle-body
stop screw did move the idle air motor to a different position.
That helps in smoothing things out.
It's just 1/8 of a turn though. Very twitchy.

Old June 5th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>> One difficulty Jeep owners have with the Renix Fuel Injection is
>> setting the TPS correctly.
>>
>> I found myself needing to set my son's 88 XJ's TPS without a vehicle
>> battery.
>>
>> The method I used was to take the throttle body off the engine and
>> suppling voltage from a couple "D" cells, then set the output voltage
>> to 17 % of the battery voltage checking the pins as described in my
>> Chiltons or Haynes manual with a DVOM. Then I re-installed the
>> throttle body on the engine.This was two weeks ago, btw.
>>
>> We put a battery in the XJ yesterday and cranked her up.
>>
>> Idle quickly settled in to a sweet 700 rpm initially and after the
>> computer finished it's initial learn cycle it dropped to 650 rpm.
>>
>> I have found setting the percentage of the output voltage to be far
>> more accurate and easier than using the recommended voltage in the
>> manual.
>> And being able to adjust it off engine makes it even better.

> Yep, good tip!
>
> The 93ZJ only has two bolts, no real adjustment.
> I did find that minor adjustment of the throttle-body
> stop screw did move the idle air motor to a different position.
> That helps in smoothing things out.
> It's just 1/8 of a turn though. Very twitchy.

The first time I did the 88's TPS, I tried to follow the Chilton / Haynes
directions and I spent several hours trying to get it right using a fair
quality (read Wal Mart) DVOM.

Then I found the voltage percentage system online and on the vehicle with a
battery, it adjusted right in.

My brother, a retired Air Force Electronics Tech, told me the voltage wasn't
critical, just the percentage so I used 3 volts, the 2 "D" cell batteries.

It works!

Budd