Pink Kate

Old April 15th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Pink Kate

Thanks. Oh dear, thats bad.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:51:11 -0500, "Kate" (please ask)> wrote:

>>Herre ya go Jenn,
>>it seems to happen pretty often out there.
>>http://www.volunteertv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4770526
>>If you google it you will find all sorts of stories about bear attacks out
>>there.

. ..

Old April 15th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Spdloader" > wrote in message
:I didn't know your husbands name, I meant no disrespect.
:
: Later,
:
: Spdloader
:

Oh! Wait! None taken! I was just foolin with ya.
He was here while I was typing it and laughing.

What's funny is when he is being ornery and I holler at him "You can be
SUCH a Dick sometimes!!!"
and he laughs and says "Why thank you ma'am" all suth'n like and charming...
makes me wanan wring his neck.

I guess you'd have to be there

I wasn't picking at you, I was trying to make you laugh.

Old April 15th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What a sin...that is sooo sad...the poor poor family...I couldn't imagine
the pain they must feel loosing a six year old like that...makes me soooooo
sad...

Jeff

Old April 16th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It really is sad.
I just cannot imagine. To go through all that, think you have finallygotten
free then to find that it has killed your child.

"4X4PLAY" > wrote in message
: What a sin...that is sooo sad...the poor poor family...I couldn't imagine
: the pain they must feel loosing a six year old like that...makes me
soooooo
: sad...
:
: Jeff
:
:
:
: "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "Spdloader" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > :I didn't know your husbands name, I meant no disrespect.
: > :
: > : Later,
: > :
: > : Spdloader
: > :
: >

Old April 16th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default O.T Pink Kate

It is VERY ridiculous.
I have hiked that area of the country quite a bit in the last 10 years, so I
do have some experience on this subject. I have only seen a black bear
once on the trail. I have however seen many times IDIOTS in the park
get out of their vehicle and walk toward Mama bear and cub as if they
thought it might be fun to pet ms. bear and get a cool picture.

Time out here - it is a wild animal with teeth and claws and a very bad
temper
if she thinks baby is in danger. At that point, YOU become a chew-toy.
A black bear can run 35 mph in open terrain, and I guarantee that is 30+ mph
faster than you. I have scolded persons for this conduct on more than one
ocassion only to be looked at like I have 2 heads.

The root of the problem is two-fold, too many bears and people not
understanding they are in the bear's back yard when they venture into the
wilderness. I believe a hiker should be armed to protect himself if the
need arises.
999 times out of 1000 the bear will run and avoid a conflict if not suprised
or threatened. However, that one time is enough to die.

Once a bear loses fear of humans, that bear becomes very dangerous.
Our park service's mission is to protect wildlife, but I personally feel it
is somewhat
misguided in that there must be a balance struck relating to acceptable
numbers of
bears and people's right to safety when they venture out to hike.

I visited Maine not too long ago, and talked to a cashier at a convience
store there.
She tells me there are claw marks on her kitchen door where a brown bear
tried to
get into her house. Bears feed at the dump close to the sub division where
she lives.
I asked her why she did not shoot it, and her reply was it is not legal to
shoot
the bear until it does something. This is just another example. I'm sorry,
I love the
outdoors and wildlife, I avidly 4wd and hike. However, if mr bear is trying
to get into
my house, here's my $500. I just purchased a bearskin rug.

just my 2 cents worth.

Old April 16th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default the reported bear attack

. ..

Old April 17th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

when I lived in Alaska, the 'outsiders' would come up and th esame thing
would happen.
You have good points, all of them.

No argument here.

Only ONE little technicality I would like to point out.
Most people would not be carrying a weapon large enough to kill a bear, be a
good enough shot to kill it fast enough or even know where to aim to kill
it.

I know I wouldn't, I'm not a hunter.
BUT you can be damned sure that if I were hiking in the woods where I would
be prone to bear attack, I would learn about it first.

I have never wanted to become a part of the food chain.

Kate

"d" > wrote in message
:
: "Spdloader" > wrote in message
: . ..
: > Hey gal,
: >
: d
:
:

Old April 17th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I read in one of the early pioneer type accounts, that the best thing was to
play dead. Now, they say that a 44 magnum will do the job, if you know
where to aim it. I've never fired one, but friends in Virginia took out a
good sized oak tree once, with a 44 magnum pistol. I saw a young black bear
on the trail to Glacier Peak once. When he saw me, he took off--up hill.
The only thing I can remember feeling from that encounter is envy.

--
Earle Horton
-- http://earlehorton.tripod.com --

Old April 17th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Earle,
I have a tape of the "Grizzly Man being eaten by a grizzly, while
tried to beat off the bear and was eaten herself. I was disappointed in
my 44: http://www.billhughes.com/44_22.jpg going through about half the
eleven inches of pine my .357 does. We use just a .22 between the eye of
thousand pound pigs and cattle, before slaughter:
http://www.billhughes.com/4Hdurock.jpg People like to use at least a
thirty ought six to explode the heart of a deer:
http://steve-badger.net/gunshtml/ammo.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 17th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All sorts of folklore about the Montana silvertip grizzlies. One guy
used to hunt them with a longbow. And one guy near Hungry Horse was
killed by a grizzly [for some reason named Gordon Bill] after having
emptied a 30-40 Kraig and a 9mm into the thing. Another named 3 Toe
took out several humans before being caught. When I was growing up
around Flathead Valley, about 1 or 2 folks per year would be killed by
grizzlies somewhere within the Valley or mountains each year.

The black bear were never really that much of a threat other than if you
happened to scare one or surprise one at the wrong time.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed: