VW Pasatt, T Reg 1999 climate control

Old May 6th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
stevo

Default VW Pasatt, T Reg 1999 climate control

Hi All,

My air con/climate control seems to have given up, the heat works fine
but the cool air has stopped, is their an obvious solution to this
problem, I have been told that is due to low cooland levels????? :cry:

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.AutoForumz.com/VW-Pasatt-...ict228687.html
Old May 7th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Does your Passat register the outside temperature? If so it might have a
bad sensor indicating that it is too cold outside to need the a/c.

Did you dial the climate control as low temperature-wise as it can get?

news:1120295_d2e2c1beb5e7d31cf0f91c194af251ab@auto forumz.com...

Old May 10th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
stevo

hi,

thanks for your response

it is registering the outside temp on the display, the temp settings
are push button and it is showing as low, the air coming from it is
very slightly cool but not as it should be

Old May 11th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

You have the temp dialed down as low as it will go and still no cold air
huh?
Then I would suspect either the a/c compressor is not coming on or the
refrigerant might be low due to a leak or both.

This is just a guess on my part. <:-)
let us know what you find!
good luck too!
--
later,
dave

news:1120467_416908477f362bd01df0824c40a7f9ce@0000 .com...

Old May 13th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Iain Miller

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
t...
> You have the temp dialed down as low as it will go and still no cold air
> huh?
> Then I would suspect either the a/c compressor is not coming on or the
> refrigerant might be low due to a leak or both.

Or one of the little electric control motors in the Heat/Vent/AC system has
given up.

Old May 13th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

>You have the temp dialed down as low as it will go and still no cold air
>huh?
>Then I would suspect either the a/c compressor is not coming on or the
>refrigerant might be low due to a leak or both.

On a 99, it could be a really slow leak that wouldn't actually be
considered a leak. Having a shop draw a vacuum and add the freon
would be the right way.

Old May 13th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

and add leak detection dye. There's a good chance it's the condenser or evap
leaking. Any "good" shop should be able to track the leak down.

Old May 13th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:

>and add leak detection dye. There's a good chance it's the condenser or evap
>leaking. Any "good" shop should be able to track the leak down.

Isn't there normally a really tiny bit of leakage where the
compressor shaft feeds thru that could leak a pound of freon after 9
or 10 years and just need some freon added? I have had a shop draw
the vacuum on a car where the cooling has gone way down and find the
vacuum holds ok before adding freon. If it went from cooling well to
not cooling in a fairly short time, that would make an actually leak
more probable.

If/when they go to electrically-powered AC, the seal will be
hermetic. And there will be no shaft seal.

I do believe in replacing the dryer if the system gets vented to
atmosphere for a while tho.

.. .

Old May 20th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

Well my 99 Passat GLX as of yet needed any Freon added in the last 104,000+
miles. But then again I leave it on "auto" mode so the compressor runs
almost all year long.

"Tom's VR6" > wrote in message
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:
>
>>and add leak detection dye. There's a good chance it's the condenser or
>>evap
>>leaking. Any "good" shop should be able to track the leak down.

> Isn't there normally a really tiny bit of leakage where the
> compressor shaft feeds thru that could leak a pound of freon after 9
> or 10 years and just need some freon added? I have had a shop draw
> the vacuum on a car where the cooling has gone way down and find the
> vacuum holds ok before adding freon. If it went from cooling well to
> not cooling in a fairly short time, that would make an actually leak
> more probable.
>
> If/when they go to electrically-powered AC, the seal will be
> hermetic. And there will be no shaft seal.
>
> I do believe in replacing the dryer if the system gets vented to
> atmosphere for a while tho.

. ..

climate control Pedro BMW 0 August 28th 06 12:56 AM
Climate control 147 DrLargePants Alfa Romeo 0 July 5th 06 01:49 PM
Climate Control jen Audi 1 June 28th 06 07:50 PM
'95 EB climate control [email protected] Ford Explorer 1 February 1st 05 02:13 AM
1999 Accord climate control question User Honda 4 November 5th 04 02:47 AM