How do you test ignition leads?

Old September 1st 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Default How do you test ignition leads?

If you truly had the head shaved that much you could get an adjustable
camshaft gear. The way I test wires is fairly simple. First test on a
humid night or spray water from a spray bottle looking for leaks.
Test two: Attach a timing light close to the spark plug to see if
juice is getting that far.
Test three: Stick a 1/4" in each spark plug wire and hold a half inch
from the block. Start car and see if the spark jumps the gap.

You waste a lot of time trying to get the car to run right if the
camshaft is retarded too much. I know when I changed timing belts on
the 1984 and older VWs I could get a decent idle but as soon as I
drove around the block I knew the cam timing was off. I had some
welding done on my Toyota truck head. I had the head shaved after the
welding, guides knurled or replaced as needed and new stem seals.
Truck runs fine even with the cam slightly retarded. I would imagine
on the VW that a shaved head is going to be a lot less camshaft timing
error than being one tooth off.

I am not sure what bad wires sound like. I have maintained my cars for
the last 31 years. I don't know that I ever had any wires get that bad
that I might hear anything besides an occasional skip (misfire). But I
don't drive much. I might have a million miles on the various cars I
have owned. OK, the math does not work out well. I guess closer to
900,000 miles.

You personally ground the valves? You did not have the valve guides
and seals replaced?

So you are stating that you have used a timing light to check the
timing on the flywheel? Anything less is just guessing. While you have
the timing light out you can check those wires for rudimentary
function.

What are the readings when you do a compression test and a leakdown
test?

Old September 1st 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

I have not seen it on 4 cylinder engines but on V8s I have seen people
cross spark plug wires. Instant 50 horsepower when the wires are
correctly installed.

Old September 1st 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

The camshaft timing is perfectly fine. It was his intermediate shaft marks
that wouldn't line up.

If it truely is an ignition misfire you should be able to pull each spark
plug wire off the engien one at a time. The one that effects the engine the
least when removed is most likely the cylinder with the misfire.

Craig

news

Old September 1st 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Erik Dillenkofer

So, we're talking about a distributor cap and ignition wires that are 24
years old?
Just replace them!

Old September 1st 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
ukdodger via CarKB.com

Hi Jim, Craig and Dave.

Well I did the spark plug test by jumping the spark. All Ok. About a 1/4" as
you said. Then as Dave mentioned I checked the vacumm hoses and discovered
one hanging loose and going nowhere. All it did was operate a switch to
change gear but it meant somewhere was a leak in the vacuum system. After a
lot of swearing trying to find where it went I eventually removed the
carburettor and found the connecter tucked up underneath. Ok so I reconnected
it and started up. No more shaking and no misfires. All appears to be as
before.. but but but..one more problem persists. When I rev the engine up and
take my foot off the throttle the revs dont immediately fall. It's a second
or more late. But when accelerating the response IS immediate. I'm no expert
on carburettors so can you throw some light on what may be wrong. It's
Pierburg 2E2 and has only one adjusting screw which adjusts the tickover
mixture. I adjusted it with the engine hot for maximum revs but it made no
difference to the engine decelleration. I checked the throttle cable and
linkage. Both move freely. Thanks for your help so far guys. I appreciate it.

Roger

Old September 1st 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

There should be a little diaphram looking thing that the throttle linkage
hits to allow the throttle to close slowly & not stall out the engine. Make
sure its moving freely.

Old September 1st 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, ukdodger via CarKB.com wrote:

>Well I did the spark plug test by jumping the spark. All Ok. About a 1/4" as
>you said. Then as Dave mentioned I checked the vacumm hoses and discovered
>one hanging loose and going nowhere. All it did was operate a switch to
>change gear but it meant somewhere was a leak in the vacuum system. After a
>lot of swearing trying to find where it went I eventually removed the
>carburettor and found the connecter tucked up underneath. Ok so I reconnected
>it and started up. No more shaking and no misfires.

Cool.

> All appears to be as
>before.. but but but..one more problem persists. When I rev the engine up and
>take my foot off the throttle the revs dont immediately fall. It's a second
>or more late. But when accelerating the response IS immediate. I'm no expert
>on carburettors so can you throw some light on what may be wrong. It's
>Pierburg 2E2 and has only one adjusting screw which adjusts the tickover
>mixture. I adjusted it with the engine hot for maximum revs but it made no
>difference to the engine decelleration. I checked the throttle cable and
>linkage. Both move freely. Thanks for your help so far guys. I appreciate it.

Does that engine have a dashpot? Maybe it is adjusted too high.

Old September 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

Thats the word I was looking for LOL. Dashpot.

Craig

Old September 1st 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default How do you test ignition leads? 1985 Passat 4cyl carb Pierburg 2E2

lol
This feels like an Olympic event! ;-)

Glad you are getting the problems solved one at a time. You are gaining a
lot of experience now as you go for the GOLD!

If your carb is not equipped with a dashpot, or other device that slows the
throttle plate returning to rest, then you might have another vacuum leak
along with maybe a rich running carb.
The vacuum leak could be a vacuum reservoir located inside of the fenders in
some cases.
OR it could be at the base of the carb with maybe a defective gasket.
OR maybe a mixture adjustment to lean out the carb a little.

FYI
picture of carb here http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/2E2type.html
maybe #40 is a device that holds the throttle plate from resting momentarily
#10 should be your idle mixture screw.

read here too
http://www.clubgti.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=36156

--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old September 2nd 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

One challenge is US based VW fans may have never seen the carb you
speak of. I have seen 2 Carter carbs on 83-84 models. Everything else
I have touched has fuel injection. I think 1984 was the last year for
carbs in the US but I could be wrong. But I am just a VW fan, not a
full time mechanic.

Number 40 might be an idle boost? Does a Quadrajet have any more
parts?

Lubricate linkage on carb just to make sure it is not binding. It
looks like there are lots of things to get sticky.

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:33:48 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>lol
>This feels like an Olympic event! ;-)
>
>Glad you are getting the problems solved one at a time. You are gaining a
>lot of experience now as you go for the GOLD!
>
>If your carb is not equipped with a dashpot, or other device that slows the
>throttle plate returning to rest, then you might have another vacuum leak
>along with maybe a rich running carb.
>The vacuum leak could be a vacuum reservoir located inside of the fenders in
>some cases.
>OR it could be at the base of the carb with maybe a defective gasket.
>OR maybe a mixture adjustment to lean out the carb a little.
>
>FYI
>picture of carb here http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/2E2type.html
>maybe #40 is a device that holds the throttle plate from resting momentarily
>#10 should be your idle mixture screw.
>
>read here too
>http://www.clubgti.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=36156

Flickering leads to shuttering HyperCube33 Saturn 5 September 18th 06 09:11 PM
For Sale - Golf GTi 16v ignition Leads vw-stuff VW water cooled 0 December 16th 05 10:49 AM
getting HT leads in the right place.... colchestereldo via CarKB.com VW water cooled 4 October 5th 05 06:33 PM
Ignition leads yvette dickerson BMW 2 January 12th 05 08:54 PM
pt cruiser plugs and leads pottsy Chrysler 2 December 22nd 04 10:10 PM