2000 Jetta

Old August 4th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
lobo

Default 2000 Jetta

Our Jetta suddenly will not beep the horn when you lock the doors with the
remote. Lights still flash and I have replaced the battery in the remote.
Any ideas why this would just start and were to look?
Thanks in advance,
Ray

Old August 5th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

Does the alarm horn still work??

Old August 5th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default 2000 Jetta alarm horn

leave a window down, set the alarm, reach in to unlock and open a door.
If the horn does not sound try to start engine.

report results

Might be hood or trunk switch!

news

Old August 5th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
lobo

Thanks for the reply. Looks to be the hood switch. I can manipulate it and
at times get the horn to chirp. I guess it needs replacing as it is
intermittent. Looks tough to get to.
Ray

Old August 5th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

No its not tough to get to. Just take off the front grill & remove the hood
latch. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Easiest way to test it is to
disconnect the connector which is clipped to the passanger side of the upper
rad support. You can follow the wire to the connector. If you disconnect the
switch & the horn beeps thats your problem.

Craig

Old August 6th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Remember lobo that FINDING the problem is harder than fixing it.
You are almost finished with the repair. Just do what Craig says and all
will be good again! ;-)

Old August 6th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
lobo

Thanks Dave and Craig also! I have been searching the internet for the micro
switch and seem to only find it included with the latching mechanism. I hate
to, but will need to call the dealer and see?

Old August 6th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

BYPASS IT!
At least for right now until you find one that won't cost $80 or so!

Old August 6th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

Exactly. Just disconnect the connector & leave it that way. Its only there
in case someone opens your hood when breaking in. Unless your in the habbit
of leaving your windows open thats not going to be an issue.

Craig

Old August 6th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
lobo

$80, wow! For just a defective micro switch? Nice design VW has there

Disconnect sounds like a better alternative. Got to keep the Wife happy and
get her single chirp back.
Ray

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> BYPASS IT!
> At least for right now until you find one that won't cost $80 or so!
>

> "lobo" > wrote in message
>> Thanks Dave and Craig also! I have been searching the internet for the
>> micro switch and seem to only find it included with the latching
>> mechanism. I hate to, but will need to call the dealer and see?
>> Ray
>>
>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>>> Remember lobo that FINDING the problem is harder than fixing it.
>>> You are almost finished with the repair. Just do what Craig says and
>>> all will be good again! ;-)

Bulletin: 2000 Jetta GL Mister.Lull VW water cooled 0 March 27th 07 06:18 PM
2000 Jetta TDI no start hardi VW water cooled 4 October 2nd 05 02:32 PM
2000 vw jetta deanandmissy VW water cooled 4 August 29th 05 01:58 AM
2000 jetta ac Alex VW water cooled 4 May 29th 05 11:41 AM
FS: 2000 Jetta GLS ? VW water cooled 0 April 19th 05 09:57 PM