96 Jetta fuse blowing

Old October 2nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Greg[_18_]

Default 96 Jetta fuse blowing

interior lights and power door locks don't work. Fuse blew. Replaced
the fuse and it blew right away. Yup, second one did, too.

I haven't done much electrical work on cars, but this scenario seems
bad. is there any thing I can do short (sorry) of tracing the wires
where accessible to look for broken insulation? Or is that where I
should start now? Is this a "send it to the repair shop and let them
try to find it" issue?
Old October 2nd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mark[_31_]

In article <e2125e72-fd7c-4af8-af05-2789306420a6
@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, says...
> interior lights and power door locks don't work. Fuse blew. Replaced
> the fuse and it blew right away. Yup, second one did, too.
>
> I haven't done much electrical work on cars, but this scenario seems
> bad. is there any thing I can do short (sorry) of tracing the wires
> where accessible to look for broken insulation? Or is that where I
> should start now? Is this a "send it to the repair shop and let them
> try to find it" issue?

What else is on the circuit?

Could try unplugging the vacuum pump and see if it still blows.

The rear door harness is still my 'first place to check' for nearly
anything weird electrical. Have a wire break and short out, there ya'
go. But I wouldn't count it as likely.

On the '95s there was a harness that ran under the battery tray, right
in the drip path for the corrosion from the positive battery terminal.
I caught it after it ate the sheath, but before it ate into the wiring.
I don't remember what all was in the harness, but it's something to
check and a reason to make sure you keep your battery posts clean.

Also on '95s, the seat heaters had a relay under the seat that would get
crushed when the seat was lowered if someone left stuff in the floor and
it rolled under the seat. For '95 I don't think that affected the
systems you mentioned. The way VW likes to change things around
though...

Hopefully someone has something more definitive.

Mark
Old October 2nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Greg wrote:

>interior lights and power door locks don't work. Fuse blew. Replaced
>the fuse and it blew right away. Yup, second one did, too.
>
>I haven't done much electrical work on cars, but this scenario seems
>bad. is there any thing I can do short (sorry) of tracing the wires
>where accessible to look for broken insulation? Or is that where I
>should start now? Is this a "send it to the repair shop and let them
>try to find it" issue?

I would bridge the blown fuse socket with a fairly high brightness
lamp, such as an old headlight with a working section. If that does
not compute with you, ask a friend who is more electrically inclined
to help. You could maybe solder wires to an old blown fuse to help
make the connection at the fuse panel.

The lamp should glow when current passes, with the brightness
depending on how much current is being drawn. Then disconnect loads,
and wiggle things to see the effect. If the problem is intermittent,
the wiggling may tell you right where the short is.
Old October 3rd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

Check all the door wiring harnesses. MK3 volkswagen are TERRIBLE for the
wires becoming brittle & then breaking at the hinge. Just pull the rubber
boot back at the door hinge & it should be pretty obvious.

Craig

Old October 3rd 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

listen to Craig!!!!
probably the LF door, but you can unlock & unplug the door harnesses so
finding out which one is very easy!!

hmmm BTW did you drop a dime/penny in the cigarette lighter socket! ;-)

"Craig" > wrote in message
> Check all the door wiring harnesses. MK3 volkswagen are TERRIBLE for the
> wires becoming brittle & then breaking at the hinge. Just pull the rubber
> boot back at the door hinge & it should be pretty obvious.
>
> Craig
>
> "Greg" > wrote in message
>> interior lights and power door locks don't work. Fuse blew. Replaced
>> the fuse and it blew right away. Yup, second one did, too.
>>
>> I haven't done much electrical work on cars, but this scenario seems
>> bad. is there any thing I can do short (sorry) of tracing the wires
>> where accessible to look for broken insulation? Or is that where I
>> should start now? Is this a "send it to the repair shop and let them
>> try to find it" issue?

FUSE KEEPS BLOWING [email protected] Technology 1 August 22nd 06 01:55 PM
Blowing fuse 37 [email protected] Technology 0 August 7th 06 04:28 PM
E21 fuse keeps blowing PaulG[_1_] BMW 1 August 2nd 06 10:21 PM
!995 neon keeps blowing the A/C 10 amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse Arezee Chrysler 1 July 24th 06 02:56 AM
Blowing a fuse lexitexi24 VW water cooled 5 June 25th 05 07:35 PM