reliable Audi with standard shift for a reasonable price

Old September 30th 09, 11:53 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
MacRules

Default reliable Audi with standard shift for a reasonable price

What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard
shift.

I am doing a search on Audi or VW.

Thanks
Old October 5th 09, 06:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Eric Shune

"MacRules" > wrote in message
> What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard
> shift.
>
> I am doing a search on Audi or VW.
>
> Thanks

impossible to answer.

Old October 6th 09, 03:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
MacRules

Eric Shune wrote:
> "MacRules" > wrote in message
>> What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard
>> shift.
>>
>> I am doing a search on Audi or VW.
>>
>> Thanks

> impossible to answer.

Just look for a 2nd hand reliable car here.
Tell me more what is the good and bad on Audi or VW Passat.

Such as ease/low maintenance, safety, should I consider for AWD or
front-wheel might be less trouble prone?

Thanks
Old October 7th 09, 09:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

On Oct 1, 1:53 am, MacRules > wrote:
> What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard
> shift.
>
> I am doing a search on Audi or VW.
>
> Thanks

In Europe, any year. But they like real sports cars there.

You must be living then in North America.
These people do not seem to appreciate that you can only get the full
grasp of the performance of these cars
if they come with a standard shift gearbox.
The problem with markets
where the companies only fulfill the need of the slight majority and
forget about the others.

In Quebec, people want these good cars (Volvo, Saab, BMW) with std
shift
since people there enjoy higher quality and higher performance
and of course Audis have a better chance in snowy conditions
especially when using AWD where Audi rules
but they cannot get them because their market demand difference is not
acknowledged and is drowned in the Canadian one
and Canadians prefer American Honda Accords (Toronto built) than the
more performant European ones which are sold as Acura in North
America.

Why pay that much if it is to only show off with them.

The best way to get std shift cars is to bug your car dealer and Audi
with that request with letters and petitions.

LHR
Old October 11th 09, 04:24 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
MacRules

laurentien wrote:
> On Oct 1, 1:53 am, MacRules > wrote:
>> What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard
>> shift.
>>
>> I am doing a search on Audi or VW.
>>
>> Thanks

> In Europe, any year. But they like real sports cars there.
>
> You must be living then in North America.
> These people do not seem to appreciate that you can only get the full
> grasp of the performance of these cars
> if they come with a standard shift gearbox.
> The problem with markets
> where the companies only fulfill the need of the slight majority and
> forget about the others.
>
> In Quebec, people want these good cars (Volvo, Saab, BMW) with std
> shift
> since people there enjoy higher quality and higher performance
> and of course Audis have a better chance in snowy conditions
> especially when using AWD where Audi rules
> but they cannot get them because their market demand difference is not
> acknowledged and is drowned in the Canadian one
> and Canadians prefer American Honda Accords (Toronto built) than the
> more performant European ones which are sold as Acura in North
> America.
>
> Why pay that much if it is to only show off with them.
>
> The best way to get std shift cars is to bug your car dealer and Audi
> with that request with letters and petitions.
>
> LHR

Could I expect A4/A6 AWD standard shift last over 200,000 miles?
Assume I spend over US $1000 per year on regular maintenance, tires,
brakes, spark plugs, wheel bearing etc.
BMW and Mercedes are cost more. I just wonder Audi or VW, year 2004 with
80,000 miles range, are they worth of buying them?
How good of the Audi AWD system, reliable?
Yes, I live in NJ USA.

Thanks
Old October 11th 09, 12:51 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yes you can find one!
Main thing you need to be aware of is the lack of proper maintenance that
used ones might have gotten. I see quite a few here in IN and IL that lost
their engines due to improper maintenance. :-(
So now they are relatively inexpensive to purchase which is why I have mine
now. <BG>
I have not even driven my '83 Audi 4000S (214K miles) since buying my A4
(131K miles) 2 years ago.
My A4 sprung an oil leak causing an engine knock which lead to my purchase
of this vehicle. I love it even if it is an automatic and the back seat leg
room is minimal! lol
If you work on them yourself then you can definitely keep it for many many
years/miles!
I have owned Audis & VWs since before 1975. My first Audi was a 1973 Fox.
I have driven the A6 which I might focus on getting since it is like my A4
but larger.

BTW 80K on a 5 year old vehicle is considered high mileage per year even in
California. ;-)

So Focus on:
Proper oil and cool down of the 1.8t engine.
Regular Timing Belt changes
Front suspension repairs of those control arms.

Minor things can be that ABS module which is now less expensive to get
rebuilt. ;-)

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old October 12th 09, 10:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

On Oct 11, 6:24 am, MacRules > wrote:
> laurentien wrote:
> > On Oct 1, 1:53 am, MacRules > wrote:
> >> What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard
> >> shift.

> >> I am doing a search on Audi or VW.

> >> Thanks

> > In Europe, any year. But they like real sports cars there.

> > You must be living then in North America.
> > These people do not seem to appreciate that you can only get the full
> > grasp of the performance of these cars
> > if they come with a standard shift gearbox.
> > The problem with markets
> > where the companies only fulfill the need of the slight majority and
> > forget about the others.

> > In Quebec, people want these good cars (Volvo, Saab, BMW) with std
> > shift
> > since people there enjoy higher quality and higher performance
> > and of course Audis have a better chance in snowy conditions
> > especially when using AWD where Audi rules
> > but they cannot get them because their market demand difference is not
> > acknowledged and is drowned in the Canadian one
> > and Canadians prefer American Honda Accords (Toronto built) than the
> > more performant European ones which are sold as Acura in North
> > America.

> > Why pay that much if it is to only show off with them.

> > The best way to get std shift cars is to bug your car dealer and Audi
> > with that request with letters and petitions.

> > LHR

> Could I expect A4/A6 AWD standard shift last over 200,000 miles?
> Assume I spend over US $1000 per year on regular maintenance, tires,
> brakes, spark plugs, wheel bearing etc.
> BMW and Mercedes are cost more. I just wonder Audi or VW, year 2004 with
> 80,000 miles range, are they worth of buying them?
> How good of the Audi AWD system, reliable?
> Yes, I live in NJ USA.
>
> Thanks

Indeed, you have more chance for long lasting with a standard shift
since they are much simpler than automatic ones.
Moreover, around the world, Audi has gathered a lot experience in
these.

Audi were almost the first to feature AWD systems on production cars
since those Audi 200 in Europe or Audi 4000 in the USA.
They have continued all along, so you cannot find a company with a
more reliable AWD system, not even Subaru or Honda. I would stay away
from those car companies selling only a few AWD on a few models, but
this is not the case with Audi.

However, beware that the VW Passat is not an Audi A4 altough they
share the same base.
However, the suspension system and engines have been upgraded in the
Audis.

Yes, if you want to live long with an old Audi, make sure that you
make those timing belt changes when suggested by VAG.
You need to follow precisely on certain maintenance issues and the car
will last long.

On old cars, I would suggest the strong 2.3 L engine since this is one
of the best on the market and it was designed for rally at the time of
the Audi coupe Quattro. It is even renowened to be superior to a
Porsche 2.2 engine.

By the way, in 1934, Audi was the first to offer FWD on a production
car on a large scale, one year before Citroen did with its Traction.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...UW_8-40_PS.jpg

In my sense, Audi offer cars superior to Mercedes since they have done
FWD and AWD for so many years.
The other reason is that they offer cars with very good engines which
are not gaz guzzlers. In this day and age of greenhouse effects and
petrol supply problems, you can say that Audi are much more green than
the other sporty-luxury car makers since you do not need all these
huge V8 or overated suprecharged engines.

Bests

LHR