Power steering / engine oil pumps use for waste oil.

Old May 26th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Byrer

Default Power steering / engine oil pumps use for waste oil.

>Ideally I want a lower pressure, slower flow which I can leave on for
>hours at a time as I am pumping from one 300 gallon tank to another,
>i.e. from a pre-filtered and settled tank to a 3 micron filtered and
>de-watered tank, prior to putting it in my truck.

Kudos to you George, for trying to do something many of us would love
to do.

Disclaimer: not an engineer, nor a pro mechainc...but a big DIY'er...
personal opinions follow...your mileage may vary

Been following the thread; my first thought was....I'd use an engine
oil pump, not a PS pump. A Gerotor type oil pump will flow oil at a
lot lower pressure, and should deal with thick oil and impurities
better than a vane PS pump too. I'm thinking a Small block Chevy
type oil pump w/pickup...just add a driveshaft and figure out how to
port the output to your next tank. There are also commercial
electric gerotor utility pumps out there in the $50 range that might
work, too. I use those to change oil in gearboxes on radar systems.

Best of luck with it...Don

Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider & CFI wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"
Old May 26th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_17_]

On May 26, 5:58*am, Don Byrer > wrote:
> >Ideally I want a lower pressure, slower flow which I can leave on for
> >hours at a time as I am pumping from one 300 gallon tank to another,
> >i.e. from a pre-filtered and settled tank to a 3 micron filtered and
> >de-watered tank, prior to putting it in my truck.

> Kudos to you George, for trying to do something many of us would love
> to do. *
>
> Disclaimer: not an engineer, nor a pro mechainc...but a big DIY'er...
> personal opinions follow...your mileage may vary
>
> Been following the thread; my first thought was....I'd use an engine
> oil pump, not a PS pump. * A Gerotor type oil pump will flow oil at a
> lot lower pressure, and should deal with thick oil and *impurities
> better than a vane PS pump too. * I'm thinking a Small block Chevy
> type oil pump w/pickup...just add a driveshaft and figure out how to
> port the output to your next tank. * There are also commercial
> electric gerotor utility pumps out there in the $50 range that might
> work, too. * I use those to change oil in gearboxes on radar systems.
>
> Best of luck with it...Don *
>
> Don Byrer KJ5KB
> Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
> Glider & CFI wannabe
> kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
>
> "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
> "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"

Thanks Don,

The oil pump I am trying to modify is a small block 350 cu.in
Chevrolet pump! I have lots of them.

I did run the power steering pump for quite a while today, the only
problem was that it was sucking air in via the filler cap. I don't see
why a bit of air should upset the filter, so I did about 40 litres and
will let it settle to let the bubbles rise to the surface. Then I can
inspect it carefully for any sediment and also boil a bit up to see if
any moisture remains.

One thought did occur to me today, I wonder if the ps pump body will
come off easily, as then I can probably connect directly to the pump
mechanism inside, one way or another. A bypass valve can control the
flow. The pulley will have to come off this time. I have an older psp
which I might tear apart tomorrow. I cannot find any repair procedures
for these pumps so maybe they are a replacement only item.

Regards George

Old June 4th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

I am also not an engineer, but someday I aspire to be a mad scientist.

I don't know if this would help you, but here's how -I- would probably
do this:

I would have 3 tanks. One tank would be at ground level or whatever
is easy to fill- it will be the one to have the pump in it (whatever
pump you get to work is fine). It would pump (upwards) directly into
a second tank. This second tank would then drain via *gravity*,
through the filter down into the third tank. Increase the number of
filters to speed up the filtering process.

The pump would be turned on and off by a float in the 2nd tank. If
you have enough drain legs it probably would drain so fast you
wouldn't need this at all. All three tanks would have a filtered vent
on the top to equalize pressure to the atmosphere.

-ph