Replace 1994 Escort Fuel Pump at 200,000?

Old November 24th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Replace 1994 Escort Fuel Pump at 200,000?

I have a Ford Escort with the 1.9 engine that has never had the
electric fuel pump replaced. It has almost 200,000 miles on the
odometer and there are no problems. I use this car for long trips and
was wondering if it would be prudent to replace the fuel pump. How
long does a fuel pump last?
Old November 25th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Nov 24, 4:00 pm, wrote:
> I have a Ford Escort with the 1.9 engine that has never had the
> electric fuel pump replaced. It has almost 200,000 miles on the
> odometer and there are no problems. I use this car for long trips and
> was wondering if it would be prudent to replace the fuel pump. How
> long does a fuel pump last?

200,000 miles?!?! You've had it from day one?!?! If so, that's gotta
be a record and, put a pump in it!
Old November 25th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Nov 24, 4:58 pm, dahpater > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 4:00 pm, wrote:
>
> > I have a Ford Escort with the 1.9 engine that has never had the
> > electric fuel pump replaced. It has almost 200,000 miles on the
> > odometer and there are no problems. I use this car for long trips and
> > was wondering if it would be prudent to replace the fuel pump. How
> > long does a fuel pump last?

> 200,000 miles?!?! You've had it from day one?!?! If so, that's gotta
> be a record and, put a pump in it!

OK, thanks, will replace pump ASAP.
Old November 26th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> I have a Ford Escort with the 1.9 engine that has never had the
> electric fuel pump replaced. It has almost 200,000 miles on the
> odometer and there are no problems. I use this car for long trips and
> was wondering if it would be prudent to replace the fuel pump. How
> long does a fuel pump last?

That's something of a miracle.

My suggestion: if the pump IS working, don't jinx it. Go to the dealer
and buy a replacement OEM pump and keep it around in the trunk for when
you need it. But the odds are the replacement pump won't be anywhere
near as long-lived as the one you have in there.
--scott

Old November 28th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I would not replace the fuel pump unless I had a good reason to do
so. 200,000 miles is not a good reason. That and as someone else
stated, replacement parts are often junk. A better place to ask about
fuel pumps for this car is at http://www.feoa.net

That and suposedly they are very easy to change on this car, but at
about 160,000 miles, my 1995 LX still has the original.
Old November 28th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota
Doc

On Nov 24, 4:00 pm, wrote:
> I have a Ford Escort with the 1.9 engine that has never had the
> electric fuel pump replaced. It has almost 200,000 miles on the
> odometer and there are no problems.

I was wondering the same thing. My Toyota Cressida has 130K on it, as
far as I know it's the original fuel pump.

My brother made the assertion that you should always fill the tank at
1/2 way because the pump being immersed in gas cools it and lengthens
its life.

Any thoughts?
Old November 29th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota

Or at least more than 1/4 tank to keep the pump cool. I second that.
In general the pump should outlast the engine unless you get a tank of
rust from an old station (see Diagnostic Flyer below).

Also, make sure you regularly change out the fuel filter so the pump
doesn't have to work too hard. A typical, periodic current test should
show that, for example, the pump always draws 4-6 amps. I change out
the wimpy Toyota inline filter every 30K miles, so didn't bother to
test current draw. In-take ones are usually good for 100K+ miles.

http://www.airtexproducts.com/AIRTEX...osticFlyer.pdf

Old November 29th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O

"Doc" > wrote in message
> On Nov 24, 4:00 pm, wrote:
>> I have a Ford Escort with the 1.9 engine that has never had the
>> electric fuel pump replaced. It has almost 200,000 miles on the
>> odometer and there are no problems.

> I was wondering the same thing. My Toyota Cressida has 130K on it, as
> far as I know it's the original fuel pump.
>
> My brother made the assertion that you should always fill the tank at
> 1/2 way because the pump being immersed in gas cools it and lengthens
> its life.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm not sure about a Ford Escort, but Toyota fuel pumps do not have to be
immersed to be cooled because the fuel flowing through the pump is
sufficient. On your Cressida, filling the tank at 1/4 is often enough to
keep the fuel filter cool. Toyota electric fuel pumps are generally very
reliable.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old November 30th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota

Fuel flows through all the pumps I know. 1/4 tank should ensure about
half the pump is in fuel.