cold start

Old January 26th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Evan Jou

Default cold start

Hi there,

I have a question for you experts here. Starting several months ago, I
sometimes can't start my car when I first try it in the morning. If I turn
the switch on and wait for a few minutes, then I can start the engine. It
only happens in the morning when I first try to start the car in the day. If
I get it started, I can start it with no problem the rest of the day. I only
drive this car averagely 20 miles per day. Does this matter? Or is it
because it is too cold in the morning? Thanks in advance.

Evan Jou

Old January 26th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jan 26, 5:09*pm, "Evan Jou" > wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> * * I have a question for you experts here. Starting several months ago, I
> sometimes can't start my car when I first try it in the morning. If I turn
> the switch on and wait for a few minutes, then I can start the engine. It
> only happens in the morning when I first try to start the car in the day. If
> I get it started, I can start it with no problem the rest of the day. I only
> drive this car averagely 20 miles per day. Does this matter? Or is it
> because it is too cold in the morning? Thanks in advance.
>
> Evan Jou

Change the fuel filter and check the pressure.
Old January 27th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Evan Jou

Hi Steve,

Toyota 2001 corolla S. Thank you!

Evan Jou

Old January 27th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

I sometimes can't start my car when I first try it in the morning.
If I turn the switch on and wait a few minutes, then I can start
the engine. It only happens in the morning when I first try to
start the car in the day. It starts with no problem the rest of
the day. I drive the car an average of 20 miles per day.

Evan Jou

What make, model and year?

Steve B.

What do you mean by "can't start?" What happens when the
key is turned? Nothing at all?? Cranks but does not run? Cranks
and coughs but doesn't catch?

Rodan.

Old January 27th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 26, 5:11 pm, dahpater > wrote:
> On Jan 26, 5:09 pm, "Evan Jou" > wrote:
>
> > Hi there,

> > I have a question for you experts here. Starting several months ago, I
> > sometimes can't start my car when I first try it in the morning. If I turn
> > the switch on and wait for a few minutes, then I can start the engine. It
> > only happens in the morning when I first try to start the car in the day. If
> > I get it started, I can start it with no problem the rest of the day. I only
> > drive this car averagely 20 miles per day. Does this matter? Or is it
> > because it is too cold in the morning? Thanks in advance.

> > Evan Jou

> Change the fuel filter and check the pressure.

I agree. Had that same problem. They found a bad check valve and low
pressure from the pump. Replaced pump and everything worked fine
afterwards.
Old January 27th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Evan Jou

Dear Rodan,

Nothing happened except the electricity seemed to be on.

Evan Jou

Old January 29th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Allured

Evan,

Rodan asked the right questions. You are still not describing your
symptoms very well.

"the electricity seemed to be on". Well I guess that means the
dashboard lights came on, but the engine did not crank over. It is
important to know this.

Possibilities include:

1. Old battery, misbehaves in cold weather, just needs to be replaced.

2. Corrosion or bad connection on battery terminals or the main leads
between the battery, starter motor, and engine ground.

3. Contacts or brushes in starter motor starting to break down.

More information would help. When the car does not start:

1. When you turn the key to Start, do you hear any clicking sounds from
the engine area?

2. When you turn the key to Start, do the dashboard lights or the dome
light go out or stay on?

3. With the key off, what happens when you turn on the headlights?
Normal, dim, or off?

--Dave

Old January 29th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Evan Jou

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

"Dave Allured" > wrote in message
> 1. When you turn the key to Start, do you hear any clicking sounds from
> the engine area?

no clicking sounds.

> 2. When you turn the key to Start, do the dashboard lights or the dome
> light go out or stay on?

I didn't notice. should be go out.

> 3. With the key off, what happens when you turn on the headlights?
> Normal, dim, or off?

Normal

Old January 29th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Allured

Okay. You're down to two main problem areas. Try one more test.

Turn on headlights, low beam, so that you or an assistant can see them.
Turn key to start. If the car does not start, then:

1. If the headlights go out or extremely dim, then it is probably an
old battery or corrosion or bad connection on battery terminals or the
main battery wires, BEFORE the connections to the rest of the electrical
system.

2. If the headlights remain bright or only dim a little, then it is
probably one of the following faults in the starter circuit.

a. Corrosion or bad connection on battery terminals or the main battery
wires, AFTER the connections to the rest of the electrical system.
Sometimes the starter wire and the feed to the rest of the system are
both bolted directly on the same battery terminal. You can build up
corrosion in this area and get intermittent connection to either one.
You may have to unbolt the connections to find and clean out all the
corrosion. If you find *any* corrosion inside battery connections,
consider this your prime suspect and clean the heck out of them, down to
bright bare metal.

b. Contacts or brushes in starter motor starting to break down.

c. Bad ignition switch. This can sometimes be discovered by repeatedly
turning the key to Start and twisting it differently each time.

d. Bad or misadjusted starter interlock switch on clutch or
transmission.

There are other more remote possibilities with faults in the related
parts of the wiring system.

For a better diagnosis, you will need to connect either a voltmeter or a
12 volt test light between battery negative and several points in the
starter primary and control circuits, and see where you are losing
voltage.

If you know what you are doing, then even with a really inexpensive
voltmeter you can rapidly find the exact failure point and save yourself
some trouble. Cheap alligator clip test leads can be very helpful by
making solid test connections while keeping your hands free for other
things.

If you detect a good ground at the starter motor case, plus a solid 12
volts on both the starter positive terminal and the starter solenoid
terminal (when you turn the key to Start), and no crank, then you have
just proved that the starter motor is bad. HTH.

--Dave

Old January 29th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Evan Jou

Dear Dave,

The car can be started now. I'll try your suggestion next time it won't
start. Thank you!

Evan Jou

"Dave Allured" > wrote in message
> Okay. You're down to two main problem areas. Try one more test.
>
> Turn on headlights, low beam, so that you or an assistant can see them.
> Turn key to start. If the car does not start, then:
>
> 1. If the headlights go out or extremely dim, then it is probably an
> old battery or corrosion or bad connection on battery terminals or the
> main battery wires, BEFORE the connections to the rest of the electrical
> system.
>
> 2. If the headlights remain bright or only dim a little, then it is
> probably one of the following faults in the starter circuit.
>
> a. Corrosion or bad connection on battery terminals or the main battery
> wires, AFTER the connections to the rest of the electrical system.
> Sometimes the starter wire and the feed to the rest of the system are
> both bolted directly on the same battery terminal. You can build up
> corrosion in this area and get intermittent connection to either one.
> You may have to unbolt the connections to find and clean out all the
> corrosion. If you find *any* corrosion inside battery connections,
> consider this your prime suspect and clean the heck out of them, down to
> bright bare metal.
>
> b. Contacts or brushes in starter motor starting to break down.
>
> c. Bad ignition switch. This can sometimes be discovered by repeatedly
> turning the key to Start and twisting it differently each time.
>
> d. Bad or misadjusted starter interlock switch on clutch or
> transmission.
>
> There are other more remote possibilities with faults in the related
> parts of the wiring system.
>
> For a better diagnosis, you will need to connect either a voltmeter or a
> 12 volt test light between battery negative and several points in the
> starter primary and control circuits, and see where you are losing
> voltage.
>
> If you know what you are doing, then even with a really inexpensive
> voltmeter you can rapidly find the exact failure point and save yourself
> some trouble. Cheap alligator clip test leads can be very helpful by
> making solid test connections while keeping your hands free for other
> things.
>
> If you detect a good ground at the starter motor case, plus a solid 12
> volts on both the starter positive terminal and the starter solenoid
> terminal (when you turn the key to Start), and no crank, then you have
> just proved that the starter motor is bad. HTH.
>
> --Dave

'96 SL2 will not start cold JLBrownie Saturn 2 January 21st 06 06:45 PM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero BMW 11 August 4th 05 10:39 PM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero VW water cooled 3 August 4th 05 02:15 AM
No start in cold Aberrant Technology 0 February 22nd 05 05:38 AM
Cold Start Black Bomb Corvette 2 September 23rd 04 01:31 PM