88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

Old July 1st 11, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Default 88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> On 06/30/2011 04:34 AM, Tegger wrote:
>> jim > wrote in news:eK6dnbWyl-
>> :
>>
>>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle
>>> when warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any
>>> diagnostics, so if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me
>>> going while that stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> Try asking at the Yahoo group I help moderate:
>>
>> This group has a number of actual working techs in it, at least one
>> of whom is an MDT and has 23 years of experience with exactly this
>> sort of thing.
>>

> i don't ya-freakin-hoo. thanks though.

I asked my MDT guy anyway, and he answered back with some pretty meaty
answers for you. But I gather you're not interested.

--
Tegger
Old July 1st 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/30/2011 03:53 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

> One good thing about these...they used this engine for a long time, up to
> 1996 or 97. I had an '85 Celica with a 22re that would not pass inspection
> because oil was blowing past the rings and into the intake. I bought one
> out of a wrecked truck (1991) for $300 with 107,000 on it and popped it in.

that's part of why i bought it. i went into the toyota dealer today to
pick up a new oem thermostat, and the parts person knew the number off
the top of their head. they said they still support a lot of these pickups.

crazy dealer parts prices though - they wanted $86 for a set of plug
leads. i bought a set of premium after-market silicone with coiled core
conductors [better than oem] for $21. figured i'd spring the outrageous
$26 for the thermostat though because those things are better than
aftermarket and i wanted it TODAY. all the rest is going oem but online
order.

found and downloaded the factory service manual online. i'll do the ecu
reset, but i don't think it's that - i think it's the idle control valve
clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.

noted re chain. i think it's already been done because the distributor
is near the middle of its adjust. presuming the timing is correct of
course. i'll check it later tonight once it's dark.

starter motor on the way out - as long as it starts one more time and
gets me home, i'll get a new one first thing. 170k miles - still young!

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 1st 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> i think it's the idle control
> valve clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.

Nope.

--
Tegger
Old July 1st 11, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/30/2011 08:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
> jim > wrote in
> t:
>
>> i think it's the idle control
>> valve clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.

> Nope.

i'm not joining yahoo tegger. and i'm not going to play childish "if
you want to play with my ball" games either.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 1st 11, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:42:41 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 03:53 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

>> One good thing about these...they used this engine for a long time, up to
>> 1996 or 97. I had an '85 Celica with a 22re that would not pass inspection
>> because oil was blowing past the rings and into the intake. I bought one
>> out of a wrecked truck (1991) for $300 with 107,000 on it and popped it in.

> that's part of why i bought it. i went into the toyota dealer today to
> pick up a new oem thermostat, and the parts person knew the number off
> the top of their head. they said they still support a lot of these pickups.
>
> crazy dealer parts prices though - they wanted $86 for a set of plug
> leads. i bought a set of premium after-market silicone with coiled core
> conductors [better than oem] for $21. figured i'd spring the outrageous
> $26 for the thermostat though because those things are better than
> aftermarket and i wanted it TODAY. all the rest is going oem but online
> order.
>
> found and downloaded the factory service manual online. i'll do the ecu
> reset, but i don't think it's that - i think it's the idle control valve
> clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.
>
> noted re chain. i think it's already been done because the distributor
> is near the middle of its adjust. presuming the timing is correct of
> course. i'll check it later tonight once it's dark.
>
> starter motor on the way out - as long as it starts one more time and
> gets me home, i'll get a new one first thing. 170k miles - still young!

Could just be the brushes, They're notorious for quitting just when things
start going well...

They aren't TOO hard to check or replace.

Old July 1st 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> On 06/30/2011 08:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> jim > wrote in
>> t:
>>
>>> i think it's the idle control
>>> valve clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.

>> Nope.
>>

> i'm not joining yahoo tegger. and i'm not going to play childish "if
> you want to play with my ball" games either.

OK.

--
Tegger
Old July 1st 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill[_33_]

> ...they wanted $86 for a set of plug leads. i bought a set of
> premium after-market silicone with coiled core conductors [better
> than oem]...

OEM spark plug wires may be the way they are for a reason...
http://magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Old July 2nd 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> On 06/30/2011 08:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> jim > wrote in
>> t:
>>
>>> i think it's the idle control
>>> valve clogged or the m.a.f. sensor.

>> Nope.
>>

> i'm not joining yahoo tegger. and i'm not going to play childish "if
> you want to play with my ball" games either.

I don't know why you're so persistently abrasive. Are you like that in real
life as well?

I took the trouble to ask my guy and he took the trouble to answer me back.
So I'm posting what he told me anyway. He's not often wrong, so this
information may be useful to you.

Below are my guy's comments for this particular symptom on your '88 22R EFI
engine:

"1) A vacuum leak, usually around the intake at cylinder #4, spray some
brake cleaner in the area, and see if it speeds up and smooths out. The
heat from the EGR valve shrinks the intake gasket, causing it to split.

"2) Lopy idle can be a hung-up airflow meter too, and I have seen those
hang up if someone changes the air filter while the engine is still
running. A little debris get in there, hangs it up, runs rich and lopy
off-idle. Usually can be cleared out by snapping the throttle or reaching
inside and moving the airflow meter door a few times by hand.

"Is it rich-smelling? Then it's probably the airflow meter. If not, look at
the intake gasket. The intake gasket is the most likely problem."

--
Tegger
Old July 2nd 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/30/2011 03:50 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

> Couple of other things. On this engine, there are 'plastic' chain guides,
> and they wear down, and are hydraulically controlled. On starting, you may
> hear a rasping noise from the front of the motor that should go away
> within a few seconds. Any more than that and you have to tear the front of
> the motor off, replace the guides and the hydraulic adjusters. Might as
> well do the chain at the same time, since it stretches. How many miles?
>
> If the rasping noise lasts longer than a few seconds, the chain is wearing
> through the block...

ok, now i've fixed the starter and put the right length alternator and
p/s pump belts on so nothing squeals, i can hear this "rasping" is
definitely present - need to do the chain and guides now!

looking for parts lists, i found these useful links:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
http://www.engnbldr.com/Build-A-Kit_85-95.html

thanks for the heads up.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

89 toyota 22re [email protected] Technology 2 December 31st 08 03:01 PM
22r 22re [email protected] General 0 May 1st 08 12:09 PM
toyota 22re problems [email protected] 4x4 1 July 4th 07 05:01 PM
88 Toyota 22RE - metallic 'ringing' sound at rpm/load loadhawg Technology 0 March 4th 07 07:43 PM
toyota 22re block removal iicetee General 0 July 26th 05 12:53 AM