88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

Old July 2nd 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default 88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

On 07/01/2011 04:23 PM, Tegger wrote:
> jim > wrote in
> t:
>
>> On 06/30/2011 08:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>> jim > wrote in
>>> t:

>>> Nope.
>>>

>> i'm not joining yahoo tegger. and i'm not going to play childish "if
>> you want to play with my ball" games either.
>>

> I don't know why you're so persistently abrasive.

i'm not particularly abrasive - but i sure am pedantic and i have no
b.s. tolerance ability. useful traits in some quarters.

> Are you like that in real
> life as well?

why put on an act? utterly pointless.

> I took the trouble to ask my guy and he took the trouble to answer me back.
> So I'm posting what he told me anyway. He's not often wrong, so this
> information may be useful to you.
>
> Below are my guy's comments for this particular symptom on your '88 22R EFI
> engine:
>
> "1) A vacuum leak, usually around the intake at cylinder #4, spray some
> brake cleaner in the area, and see if it speeds up and smooths out. The
> heat from the EGR valve shrinks the intake gasket, causing it to split.
>
> "2) Lopy idle can be a hung-up airflow meter too, and I have seen those
> hang up if someone changes the air filter while the engine is still
> running. A little debris get in there, hangs it up, runs rich and lopy
> off-idle. Usually can be cleared out by snapping the throttle or reaching
> inside and moving the airflow meter door a few times by hand.
>
> "Is it rich-smelling? Then it's probably the airflow meter. If not, look at
> the intake gasket. The intake gasket is the most likely problem."

doesn't smell particularly rich - i'll check the intake.

thanks - i'm glad the grown-up tegger is back.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 2nd 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

There is an idle speed adjustment, it's an air bypass screw located
in the throttle body.
When you do your initial tune-up, make sure to do a thorough cleaning
of the throttle body and plate and the maf.
Checking codes is easy, chances are you have a code 52 code for the
tps idle switch.A little diddling of the tps adjustment will lear this
one. I'd also add a quart of Techron to the gas tank.
Also make sure to adjust the valves. These things can have tappet
noise when the valves are set right, so some guys will tighten up the
valves till they get quiet which can cause idle/emissions/low power
problems

you may want to check out http://www.rockauto.com/
I have bought a bunch from them lately... oem toyota stuff way below
dealership prices.

By the way, if it were me I'd take a close listen at the timing cover
with a stethoscope to listen for chain noise. Sometimes they will make
a noise at idle that goes away off idle, which is bad. The chain can
slap its way through the timing cover into a water passage with no
warning and disastrous results.
HTH, and let us know how it goes,
Ben
Old July 2nd 11, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:06:01 -0700, Bill wrote:

>> ...they wanted $86 for a set of plug leads. i bought a set of
>> premium after-market silicone with coiled core conductors [better
>> than oem]...
>>

> OEM spark plug wires may be the way they are for a reason...
> http://magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

The OEM wires are either NGK or Nippon Denso. I got an aftermarket set of
NGK's on eBay for my Supra for about 2/3 of the price of dealer and they
work quite well.

Toyotas do NOT like Autozone, NAPA, etc wires! They run like crap if you
put them on. That and Champion spark plugs. Makes them run kinda lumpy and...

hey......

Old July 2nd 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:14:53 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 03:50 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

>> Couple of other things. On this engine, there are 'plastic' chain guides,
>> and they wear down, and are hydraulically controlled. On starting, you may
>> hear a rasping noise from the front of the motor that should go away
>> within a few seconds. Any more than that and you have to tear the front of
>> the motor off, replace the guides and the hydraulic adjusters. Might as
>> well do the chain at the same time, since it stretches. How many miles?
>>
>> If the rasping noise lasts longer than a few seconds, the chain is wearing
>> through the block...
>>

> ok, now i've fixed the starter and put the right length alternator and
> p/s pump belts on so nothing squeals, i can hear this "rasping" is
> definitely present - need to do the chain and guides now!
>
> looking for parts lists, i found these useful links:
>
> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
> http://www.engnbldr.com/Build-A-Kit_85-95.html
>
> thanks for the heads up.

NP! Hey, since this is an '88, where did you get it from? I had an '85 up
here in Mass, 125,000 miles, and the FRAME was rotted out! It was only 6
years old! The bed was rotted, too, but the frame had a big lengthwise
hole in it.

Too bad they didn't have a recall THEN!!!

Old July 2nd 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/01/2011 07:49 PM, ben91932 wrote:

>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

> There is an idle speed adjustment, it's an air bypass screw located
> in the throttle body.
> When you do your initial tune-up, make sure to do a thorough cleaning
> of the throttle body and plate and the maf.
> Checking codes is easy, chances are you have a code 52 code for the
> tps idle switch.A little diddling of the tps adjustment will lear this
> one. I'd also add a quart of Techron to the gas tank.
> Also make sure to adjust the valves. These things can have tappet
> noise when the valves are set right, so some guys will tighten up the
> valves till they get quiet which can cause idle/emissions/low power
> problems
>
> you may want to check out http://www.rockauto.com/
> I have bought a bunch from them lately... oem toyota stuff way below
> dealership prices.
>
> By the way, if it were me I'd take a close listen at the timing cover
> with a stethoscope to listen for chain noise. Sometimes they will make
> a noise at idle that goes away off idle, which is bad. The chain can
> slap its way through the timing cover into a water passage with no
> warning and disastrous results.
> HTH, and let us know how it goes,
> Ben

all good info dude, thanks. can definitely hear chain on startup, so
that's job #2. #1 is sorting out the thermostat/low engine temp -
needle creeps up slightly idling around town - dead cold at freeway. #3
is that i suspect the head gasket might be leaking slightly, losing a
little coolant each day, while still retaining pressure. do 2 & 3
together i guess.

other than that, the motor's great! plenty of compression.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 2nd 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/01/2011 08:33 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:14:53 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> Couple of other things. On this engine, there are 'plastic' chain guides,
>>> and they wear down, and are hydraulically controlled. On starting, you may
>>> hear a rasping noise from the front of the motor that should go away
>>> within a few seconds. Any more than that and you have to tear the front of
>>> the motor off, replace the guides and the hydraulic adjusters. Might as
>>> well do the chain at the same time, since it stretches. How many miles?
>>>
>>> If the rasping noise lasts longer than a few seconds, the chain is wearing
>>> through the block...
>>>

>> ok, now i've fixed the starter and put the right length alternator and
>> p/s pump belts on so nothing squeals, i can hear this "rasping" is
>> definitely present - need to do the chain and guides now!
>>
>> looking for parts lists, i found these useful links:
>>
>> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
>> http://www.engnbldr.com/Build-A-Kit_85-95.html
>>
>> thanks for the heads up.

> NP! Hey, since this is an '88, where did you get it from? I had an '85 up
> here in Mass, 125,000 miles, and the FRAME was rotted out! It was only 6
> years old! The bed was rotted, too, but the frame had a big lengthwise
> hole in it.
>
> Too bad they didn't have a recall THEN!!!

one of the benefits of living in kalifornistan - especially inland where
the truck is from where it's hot and there is no road salt. the dash is
all sun cracked, but hey, it's a truck!

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 2nd 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/02/2011 01:12 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:55:09 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> NP! Hey, since this is an '88, where did you get it from? I had an '85 up
>>> here in Mass, 125,000 miles, and the FRAME was rotted out! It was only 6
>>> years old! The bed was rotted, too, but the frame had a big lengthwise
>>> hole in it.
>>>
>>> Too bad they didn't have a recall THEN!!!

>> one of the benefits of living in kalifornistan - especially inland where
>> the truck is from where it's hot and there is no road salt. the dash is
>> all sun cracked, but hey, it's a truck!

> Now, I'm jealous.
>
> Any 1980-84 Corolla coupes out there?

can't say i've been looking for the coupes, but i can say the corolla
wagons are still around and enjoy semi cult status. none ever for sale
though - you'd have to pry the keys from the cold dead fingers of most
owners from what i can gather.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 2nd 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Old July 3rd 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> doesn't smell particularly rich - i'll check the intake.

More from ym guy:
"If the vacuum leak isn't the problem, next step will be throttle position
sensor adjustment and ignition timing."

--
Tegger
Old July 3rd 11, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 13:08:00 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 07/02/2011 01:12 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:

>>> one of the benefits of living in kalifornistan - especially inland where
>>> the truck is from where it's hot and there is no road salt. the dash is
>>> all sun cracked, but hey, it's a truck!

>> Now, I'm jealous.
>>
>> Any 1980-84 Corolla coupes out there?
>>

> can't say i've been looking for the coupes, but i can say the corolla
> wagons are still around and enjoy semi cult status. none ever for sale
> though - you'd have to pry the keys from the cold dead fingers of most
> owners from what i can gather.

Every once in a while one comes up an eBay from CA or AZ, and goes for at
least half price of what they were new! I paid $6799 for an '80 coupe, and
the wagons go for at least $3000...usually more.

89 toyota 22re [email protected] Technology 2 December 31st 08 03:01 PM
22r 22re [email protected] General 0 May 1st 08 12:09 PM
toyota 22re problems [email protected] 4x4 1 July 4th 07 05:01 PM
88 Toyota 22RE - metallic 'ringing' sound at rpm/load loadhawg Technology 0 March 4th 07 07:43 PM
toyota 22re block removal iicetee General 0 July 26th 05 12:53 AM