!997 Mustang GT

Old February 26th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
R Vk

Default !997 Mustang GT

I have a 1997 Mustang GT, 4.6L. I am looking for some good, cheap, ideas
to make it faster. I am thinking of buying an Acufab 70mm Throttle body
and plenum combo to start. Anybody have any good ideas??

Old February 26th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RD Jones

On Feb 25, 7:59*pm, (R Vk) wrote:
> I have a 1997 Mustang GT, 4.6L. I am looking for some good, cheap, ideas
> to make it faster. I am thinking of buying an Acufab 70mm Throttle body
> and plenum combo to start. Anybody have any good ideas??

PI heads.

New assemblies from Ford are downright cheap as aluminum heads go.
Any other mods will be wasted effort untill the heads are addressed.

rd
Old March 6th 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mikey

"R Vk" > wrote in message
>I have a 1997 Mustang GT, 4.6L. I am looking for some good, cheap, ideas
> to make it faster. I am thinking of buying an Acufab 70mm Throttle body
> and plenum combo to start. Anybody have any good ideas??

It really depends on how far you want to take it. If you're going to leave
the internals stock, you don't need to do much with the intake. As I
understand it, the throttle body and intake are not restrictive relative to
how much air the stock engine pulls, so a bigger throttle body is going to
add very little, if anything. A more free flowing exhaust can help, but two
and a quarter inch diameter is as big as you need to go, larger than that
will take away bottom end torque, something you probably don't want to do.
The best bang for the buck would be a nitrous kit, a 50 to 75 HP kit should
be safe with a stock engine, and you'd really feel the extra power.