number plate scanning in the USA

Old October 1st 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default number plate scanning in the USA

Score another one for the tin-foil-hats. The head-in-the-sand-never-happen-
here-crowd again shown dead wrong as things come to pass.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...s_monitor.html

YPD'S 'Ring of Steel' camera rolls, monitors license plates

BY ADAM LISBERG
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Monday, October 1st 2007, 4:00 AM

A high-tech camera in lower Manhattan has been secretly monitoring the
license plates of passing cars periodically for more than six months in a
test of the city's planned "Ring of Steel" surveillance system, the Daily
News has learned.

The camera scans the rear license plates of northbound traffic on Church
St. from a light pole at the corner of Duane St., just blocks from Ground
Zero and City Hall.

The images are sent wirelessly to a computer system that can
automatically scan the plates and compare the numbers and letters against
a database - so the NYPD can instantly know when a suspicious car or
truck has passed that corner.

<...>

"It is not storing data at this point or being used for any law
enforcement purposes," said NYPD spokesman Paul Browne. He said the
license plate data created during those tests were "not retained."

He said the NYPD has some license plate cameras mounted on squad cars,
but the camera at Church and Duane Sts. is the only one in a fixed
location.

<...>

The camera is also similar to those that would be used in Mayor
Bloomberg's congestion pricing plan, which would charge drivers in parts
of Manhattan by reading license plates and E-ZPass tags at 340 locations.

<...>

"For the government to be keeping them on file is not the hallmark of
freedom. It's too much like Big Brother," she said.

Old October 2nd 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Oct 1, 6:40 pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> (Brent P) said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>
> >The images are sent wirelessly to a computer system that can
> >automatically scan the plates and compare the numbers and letters against
> >a database

> What a *stupid* implementation!
>
> Video takes a LOT of bandwidth. It's MUCH more efficient to do the OCR
> locally in the camera firmware and simply transmit the resulting 7
> alphanumeric characters via the radio.
>
> But then efficieny is the LAST thing we should expect from the
> government.
> --
> MFFYCam Videos Galohttp://www.geocities.com/mffycam/htt...kills.blip.tv/

Many places have been using OCR systems for some time. It spots up
unregistered cars, uninsured cars, stolen cars, unissued /
counterfiet plates, and so on, of the state / nation it has
loaded into the system, which I assume is up-dated before use
each day. With only the occasional error, it should concern
none of our upstanding group members.

Old October 2nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:

>Score another one for the tin-foil-hats. The head-in-the-sand-never-happen-
>here-crowd again shown dead wrong as things come to pass.
>
>http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...s_monitor.html
>
>YPD'S 'Ring of Steel' camera rolls, monitors license plates
>
>BY ADAM LISBERG
>DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU
>
>Monday, October 1st 2007, 4:00 AM
>
>A high-tech camera in lower Manhattan has been secretly monitoring the
>license plates of passing cars periodically for more than six months in a
>test of the city's planned "Ring of Steel" surveillance system, the Daily
>News has learned.

The "Ring of Steel" is London's system. The New York system is "The
Iron Curtain".
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 2nd 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Studemania:
> On Oct 1, 6:40 pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> > (Brent P) said in
> > rec.autos.driving:
> >
> > >The images are sent wirelessly to a computer system that can
> > >automatically scan the plates and compare the numbers and letters against
> > >a database

> > What a *stupid* implementation!
> >
> > Video takes a LOT of bandwidth. It's MUCH more efficient to do the OCR
> > locally in the camera firmware and simply transmit the resulting 7
> > alphanumeric characters via the radio.
> >
> > But then efficieny is the LAST thing we should expect from the
> > government.
> > --
> > MFFYCam Videos Galohttp://www.geocities.com/mffycam/htt...kills.blip.tv/

> Many places have been using OCR systems for some time. It spots up
> unregistered cars, uninsured cars, stolen cars, unissued /
> counterfiet plates, and so on, of the state / nation it has
> loaded into the system, which I assume is up-dated before use
> each day. With only the occasional error, it should concern
> none of our upstanding group members.

Your wife suspects you (for whatever reason) of being unfaithful. One
day you turn off at the exit in the vicinity of an ex-girlfriend's
residence (unbeknownst to you that she even lives in the same town).
Wifey's lawyer gets the records from this system that shows you in the
area. Your now ex wife takes (to quote Eddie Murphy) "Half your ****."

--
"I love this country...
...and the freedoms we used to have..."
Old October 2nd 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article om>, Studemania wrote:

> Many places have been using OCR systems for some time. It spots up
> unregistered cars, uninsured cars, stolen cars, unissued /
> counterfiet plates, and so on, of the state / nation it has
> loaded into the system, which I assume is up-dated before use
> each day.

I know they have. Now go tell people that these devices exist and
are in use and you'll be called a kook.

> With only the occasional error, it should concern
> none of our upstanding group members.

It's ok if the officer searches your (blank) or records your (blank) if
you're not doing anything wrong....

Standard police state excuse.

Old October 3rd 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott in SoCal wrote:
(Brent P) said in
>rec.autos.driving:
>
>>The images are sent wirelessly to a computer system that can
>>automatically scan the plates and compare the numbers and letters against
>>a database

>What a *stupid* implementation!
>
>Video takes a LOT of bandwidth. It's MUCH more efficient to do the OCR
>locally in the camera firmware and simply transmit the resulting 7
>alphanumeric characters via the radio.
>
>But then efficieny is the LAST thing we should expect from the
>government.

Which we see spill over to the populace, who's left wondering why
their jobs are going overseas and/or being taken over by immigrants
from the south.

--

"Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS" brags of it's homosexuallity:
the guys at the bath-house stopped laughing at my 3 inch weenie.

"Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS" brags of it's ability to operate a vehicle:
I must be doing something right to go 3 1/2 years without a fatal crash.
: http://groups.google.com/group/misc....e8a61824?hl=en
Old October 3rd 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:

> Which we see spill over to the populace, who's left wondering why
> their jobs are going overseas and/or being taken over by immigrants
> from the south.

Half the people will be employed by the government keeping the other half
locked up or under their watchful eye.

Old October 3rd 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P wrote:
>In article >, Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:
>
>> Which we see spill over to the populace, who's left wondering why
>> their jobs are going overseas and/or being taken over by immigrants
>> from the south.

>Half the people will be employed by the government keeping the other half
>locked up or under their watchful eye.

How will the government afford to pay those people without a
reasonable portion of the work force paying taxes?

Old October 3rd 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
MLOM

On Oct 2, 8:19 pm, "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver
(Hector Goldstein)" > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
> >In article >, Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:

> >> Which we see spill over to the populace, who's left wondering why
> >> their jobs are going overseas and/or being taken over by immigrants
> >> from the south.

> >Half the people will be employed by the government keeping the other half
> >locked up or under their watchful eye.

> How will the government afford to pay those people without a
> reasonable portion of the work force paying taxes?
>
> --
>
> "Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS" brags of it's homosexuallity:
> the guys at the bath-house stopped laughing at my 3 inch weenie.
> :http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...sg/168e8e621dd...
>
> "Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS" brags of it's ability to operate a vehicle:
> I must be doing something right to go 3 1/2 years without a fatal crash.
> :http://groups.google.com/group/misc....a376114ee8a618...

Two words: "deficit spending."

Old October 3rd 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>>In article >, Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:
>>
>>> Which we see spill over to the populace, who's left wondering why
>>> their jobs are going overseas and/or being taken over by immigrants
>>> from the south.

>>Half the people will be employed by the government keeping the other half
>>locked up or under their watchful eye.
>>

> How will the government afford to pay those people without a
> reasonable portion of the work force paying taxes?

The same it is 'affording' the endless wars (forgot about that employment
center) and the welfare state.... printing money until the dollar is
worthless. Once it's worthless they can keep on printing.