Helms Manual for 93 del sol

Old August 12th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
93 sol si

Default Helms Manual for 93 del sol

If you've got one lying around in good/decent condition, i'll buy it
from you.

I really need the drivetrain & engine sections badly. My clutch is bad
and i want to replace it myself, but i don't want to wait 4-5 weeks to
order it from Helminc.com. it's out of print so it has to be printed
per order, thus taking so long to get it.

If you don't have one that you want to sell, would you be willing to
run off or scan the drivetrain & engine sections for me? I'll need the
sections that will show me all the details of the clutch, gear box,
drive shaft and engine.

do i need other sections to replace my clutch?

thanks!

Old August 12th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

93 sol si wrote:
> If you've got one lying around in good/decent condition, i'll buy it
> from you.
>
> I really need the drivetrain & engine sections badly. My clutch is bad
> and i want to replace it myself, but i don't want to wait 4-5 weeks to
> order it from Helminc.com. it's out of print so it has to be printed
> per order, thus taking so long to get it.
>
> If you don't have one that you want to sell, would you be willing to
> run off or scan the drivetrain & engine sections for me? I'll need the
> sections that will show me all the details of the clutch, gear box,
> drive shaft and engine.
>
> do i need other sections to replace my clutch?
>
> thanks!

it's just a civic. likely your local library has a copy on the manual
they can order in for you. you can legally copy the relevant sections
for your personal use.
Old August 12th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

www.autozone.com 's free online manual for your 93 Del Sol
duplicates much, if not all, of the factory service manual.
See
http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...3d801571d7.jsp

Compare its steps to the factory service manual's steps for
the CRX (which is very close or dead on to your Del Sol) at
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...2SH200/8-4.pdf

Good exploded parts drawings may also be had at
www.slhonda.com 's parts site.

"93 sol si" > wrote

Old August 13th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
93 sol si

Thanks, i'll check it out.
BTW, I got my clutch replaced yesterday by a mechanic and the clutch is
butter smooth now. i'm kinda glad i didn't try to tackle the job
myself. lotta work. but i definitely want to get a manual to work on
other stuff myself.

Old August 13th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
93 sol si

thanks jim beam. i forgot that the library is still a great resource
compared to the net.

Old August 13th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Want to say what your mechanic charged? That's often helpful
to others.

For the archives, I see the unofficial FAQ site for this
newsgroup has an even better link to online manuals than
Autozone's:

http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login (for free) using the username "lib" and the password
"access." Click on "Auto Repair Reference Center." This
seems to have repair procedures for all years except maybe
the most recent. This site's procedures load faster than
Autozone's but otherwise appear to duplicate, word for word,
the Autozone's sites procedures.

The Ebsco site's Honda procedures contain the following
acknowledgment: "The Publisher expresses appreciation to
Honda Motor Company, Ltd., for their generous assistance."

Nice update on the clutch. I just completed a manual
transmissions course and want to try doing this job myself
when my 91 Civic's clutch starts slipping. I printed out the
Alldata procedures (accessible to most technicians or
automotive repair students and once in awhile through the
computers at the public library) but they differ little from
my Chilton's or the ebsco site above.

"93 sol si" > wrote

Old August 14th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
93 sol si

the mechanic, who freelances and does jobs in people's own garage,
chaged $500 for parts and labor. parts were all new, but not Honda
parts. The flywheel was remanufactured, though. He replaced all the
associated clutch parts, including the rear main seal and pilot
bearing.

he spent the entire day, from noon to 9pm, with some breaks and lots of
conversations in between. I think if he really wanted to, he could've
done it in about 4 hours. But he was really meticulous and wanted to
take his time. since he didn't charge me an hourly rate, it didn't
matter to me, as long as he was done in one day.

I watch him as much as i could, but didn't see the entire procedure, so
here are some insights. He used a type of engine brace with lots of
chains and straps instead of a hoist to keep the engine in place when
the gearbox was dropped. He used a piston jack to support and drop the
gearbox.

The only thing i noticed about the new clutch is that it feels much
softer than what i'm used to in a honda clutch. I drove a 90 civc dx
for 10 years and my 93 del sol si for about 4 years and i'm used to a
heavy clutch pedal and some pop/feel when i release the clutch pedal
when it engages. Now it's really smooth when the pedal is released.
He told me that that was normal for a newly installed clutch and that
it would feel heavier as it gets older. (I'm wondering if a genuine
Honda clutch kit would feel more familiar.)

If i had to do it again, i would order a genuine honda clutch kit and
have him install it. He said he's been a mechanic for 10 years and has
only used aftermarket parts without any problems. He said my clutch
should last 100k miles, if i don't abuse it.

speaking of abuse, he said that my clutch still had lots of miles left
on it, but it's life was shortened because of my driving habbits. What
happened was that one of the four springs popped out, he said it was
because i have a tendency to release the clutch pedal too quickly and
shifted too abruptly. I disagreed somewhat because i always thought i
was pretty easy on the clutch.

Thanks for the info on the online service manual.

Good luck on your clutch job.

Old August 14th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Great update.

Sounds like a fair price, even with the aftermarket parts. I
am not quite convinced that OEM is the only reasonable way
to go for a clutch job.

"93 sol si" > wrote

Old August 15th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

The parts about a newly installed clutch being soft, and the customer
releasing it too quickly, I can't agree with those. I wonder if this
mechanic has been to law school, because he is just pulling stuff out of
this butt.

Earle

nk.net...

Old August 15th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

93 sol si wrote:
> the mechanic, who freelances and does jobs in people's own garage,
> chaged $500 for parts and labor. parts were all new, but not Honda
> parts. The flywheel was remanufactured, though. He replaced all the
> associated clutch parts, including the rear main seal and pilot
> bearing.
>
> he spent the entire day, from noon to 9pm, with some breaks and lots of
> conversations in between. I think if he really wanted to, he could've
> done it in about 4 hours. But he was really meticulous and wanted to
> take his time. since he didn't charge me an hourly rate, it didn't
> matter to me, as long as he was done in one day.
>
> I watch him as much as i could, but didn't see the entire procedure, so
> here are some insights. He used a type of engine brace with lots of
> chains and straps instead of a hoist to keep the engine in place when
> the gearbox was dropped. He used a piston jack to support and drop the
> gearbox.
>
> The only thing i noticed about the new clutch is that it feels much
> softer than what i'm used to in a honda clutch. I drove a 90 civc dx
> for 10 years and my 93 del sol si for about 4 years and i'm used to a
> heavy clutch pedal and some pop/feel when i release the clutch pedal
> when it engages. Now it's really smooth when the pedal is released.
> He told me that that was normal for a newly installed clutch and that
> it would feel heavier as it gets older. (I'm wondering if a genuine
> Honda clutch kit would feel more familiar.)
>
> If i had to do it again, i would order a genuine honda clutch kit and
> have him install it. He said he's been a mechanic for 10 years and has
> only used aftermarket parts without any problems. He said my clutch
> should last 100k miles, if i don't abuse it.
>
> speaking of abuse, he said that my clutch still had lots of miles left
> on it, but it's life was shortened because of my driving habbits. What
> happened was that one of the four springs popped out, he said it was
> because i have a tendency to release the clutch pedal too quickly and
> shifted too abruptly.

possible, but not likely. much more likely the spring fatigued, then
worked its way out on its own.

regarding quality of the parts, oem is guaranteed good. the only way to
exceed it is some of the high end after-market racing products, but
those have driveability issues for a daily ride.

95 J30 service manual suren Technology 0 March 22nd 05 02:48 AM
2000 Ford Explorer Owner's Manual Hank Technology 0 March 6th 05 10:44 AM
Haynes manual instructions Yvan Driving 190 December 21st 04 03:48 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM